Coronavirus (COVID-19)

7 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
40 minutes ago, Steven W said:
Is it lies though?
With vaccines on the go and new treatments coming to fruition; a prediction that living with Covid will be like living with flu in ten months time is hardly the most outlandish thing ever said and surely something even they can deliver upon?
As I said earlier the notion of some kind of end date, even if it's ten months away gives me personally some comfort, that I don't get from NS' open ended use of language.

If NS came out and said another 10 months of restrictions (that's basically what Hancock is alluding too) and you would hit the roof. His use of could and hope is really just packaging bad news in a nice wrapper.

A lot of people on this thread would, but I would not. As I've said earlier this morning, and end date to all this brings me something to look forward to, however far off. Sturgeon at times would make you think we could be living like this forever

It's a good point that's been made a few times but does bear repeating. 

"Restrictions" can mean anything from being asked to wear a mask on busy public transport to being welded inside your house and food packages arriving by drone. 

It would be nice if the media (and politicians) would specify what they're meaning when they use that term 

6 minutes ago, madwullie said:

It's a good point that's been made a few times but does bear repeating. 

"Restrictions" can mean anything from being asked to wear a mask on busy public transport to being welded inside your house and food packages arriving by drone. 

It would be nice if the media (and politicians) would specify what they're meaning when they use that term 

This is a great point. The lack of differentiating between ‘masks on transport’ and ‘not being within 2m of another human’ is what is causing a lot of the angst. I’m sure majority wouldn’t care too much if they have to wear a mask for another 10 months, but if it means social distancing for that time (essentially stopping almost every human activity) then that’s a problem.

A lot of people on this thread would, but I would not. As I've said earlier this morning, and end date to all this brings me something to look forward to, however far off. Sturgeon at times would make you think we could be living like this forever
I've never once got that impression from NS or anyone else for that matter. Hancock has stated the obvious. No one expects anything but Covid to be treated like flu in time, that's the whole point of vaccinations. He used that to float the thought of restrictions for another 9 or 10 months, get it out there to see the reaction. Yours is exactly the response he's looking for ie "they will accept this if we wrap the turd up in a nice shiny wrapper with big pictures of carrots on it". It's literally how they have played this whole episode. A wee phrase casually dropped into conversation to see how the public reacts.

8 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

This is a great point. The lack of differentiating between ‘masks on transport’ and ‘not being within 2m of another human’ is what is causing a lot of the angst. I’m sure majority wouldn’t care too much if they have to wear a mask for another 10 months, but if it means social distancing for that time (essentially stopping almost every human activity) then that’s a problem.

Social distancing certainly from my experience does not happen. And that is with markers on the floor. Going down aisles vast majority of people do not give a f**k who they are standing next too. People can pretend it has been happening, maybe queuing outside to get into a shop but as soon as they get in its a free for all until they are at the till and some do try and social distance.

Masks for the future I have no problem with, I do however want to see more people being shown how to wear a mask properly.  

Edited by Robin.Hood

1 hour ago, Tynierose said:

Aye you will be.  Those Thai government fellas are mean.

Cheers, I won't  be coming back to receive the vaccination. I was just think of 2 options.

1. contact the practice and tell them I don't need, therefore freeing up someone else. Gid c**t

2. Selling my spot in the queue . c**t, but a bit richer.;) 

eta we will finally get the vaccine here, by waiting after the street dogs have all been done or pay, which has been whispered to be around £500

Edited by SlipperyP

16 minutes ago, Robin.Hood said:

Social distancing certainly from my experience does not happen. And that is with markers on the floor. Going down aisles vast majority of people do not give a f**k who they are standing next too. People can pretend it has been happening, maybe queuing outside to get into a shop but as soon as they get in its a free for all until they are at the till and some do try and social distance.

Masks for the future I have no problem with, I do however want to see more people being shown how to wear a mask properly.  

Every post you make is with regards to behaviour in the Tesco you work in, which is understandable at the moment as working is all we are allowed to do, but it’s a little bit irrelevant whether people rigidly stick to distancing or not. The point is that if governments do mean social distancing when they talk about the restrictions they’ll have to keep long term then that equals not being able to do almost anything until that’s gone as everything will remain closed/modified at best.

27 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
42 minutes ago, Steven W said:

I've never once got that impression from NS or anyone else for that matter. Hancock has stated the obvious. No one expects anything but Covid to be treated like flu in time, that's the whole point of vaccinations. He used that to float the thought of restrictions for another 9 or 10 months, get it out there to see the reaction. Yours is exactly the response he's looking for ie "they will accept this if we wrap the turd up in a nice shiny wrapper with big pictures of carrots on it". It's literally how they have played this whole episode. A wee phrase casually dropped into conversation to see how the public reacts.

Nicola and Boris would be better employing a spokesperson from the infant department at Cow & Gate to make their announcements, they'll know more about spoon feeding than Hancock or Freeman ever will. 

44 minutes ago, Steven W said:

Anyone who mentions an end date is lying to you.

When Johnson says '12 weeks to beat coronavirus' Or we will be back to normal by Christmas 2020. Or Easter 2021, they are lying. 

25 minutes ago, Robin.Hood said:

Bit of a turnaround from your rolling tantrum (among many others) at having to wear a mask at work in the first place. 

That said, I don't see why people should be obliged to wear a mask, or do social distancing, or any of these other measures when there are a stack of treatments on the table to deal with this illness. If individuals choose to take extra precautions after this current wave is toast then that's up to them; it should not be enforceable by law though. 

3 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Every post you make is with regards to behaviour in the Tesco you work in, which is understandable at the moment as working is all we are allowed to do, but it’s a little bit irrelevant whether people rigidly stick to distancing or not.

This happens in all supermarkets regarding people standing in aisles n catching up with pals n blethering for period of time etc. Working n shopping is all we are allowed to do, just so happens mine combines into one. People do not stick to distancing or mask wearing properly. This has been going on for some time, nevermind opening other places up. The day the snow came badly here in dundee was the first time I felt it was a proper lockdown as the shop was pretty quiet. Soon as snow has started to clear it is hoaching... 

However none of this is anything new to anyone. 

The UK government being positive is a new one on me. Ministers have been falling over themselves the last week to backslide like hell and now Hancock's aiming for the end of the year,  when every adult in the UK should've been vaccinated, rather than once the vulnerable groups have been vaccinated. 

The only difference recently is that you have an elected sap like Grant Shapps tell people they won't be getting on holiday, rather than unelected mouthpiece and Government shield Jason Leitch deliver it. 

1 minute ago, virginton said:

Bit of a turnaround from your rolling tantrum (among many others) at having to wear a mask at work in the first place. 

That said, I don't see why people should be obliged to wear a mask, or do social distancing, or any of these other measures when there are a stack of treatments on the table to deal with this illness. If individuals choose to take extra precautions after this current wave is toast then that's up to them; it should not be enforceable by law though. 

This is correct. Was that all you wanted to add ?