Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Panorama tonight would be enough to take down a government in most democratic countries. Britain will barely bat an eyelid and just be glad, 'Boris our hero back to save us'.

Sound like c***s. Report it. 
Some aisles is quite tough as the device sends you in different directions. Sadly they still have times to meet to get the vans on the road. 
I hope you got everything you needed. 
Apart from the balsamic drizzle, aye, had everything else. Tbf, they have been pretty well stocked after the first two weeks of mayhem.

15 minutes ago, peasy23 said:
31 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:
Sound like c***s. Report it. 
Some aisles is quite tough as the device sends you in different directions. Sadly they still have times to meet to get the vans on the road. 
I hope you got everything you needed. 

Apart from the balsamic drizzle, aye, had everything else. Tbf, they have been pretty well stocked after the first two weeks of mayhem.

Bar flour and few companies who are on furlough you should be able to get most items. 

4 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

We are a consumer economy.  The biggest short-to-medium threat to the economy is people reluctant to spend money.  The results of that survey suggest this is a very real possibility in the U.K.  A recession can become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Maybe if our response had been as effective as Germany’s then things wouldn’t be so bad.

2 hours ago, resk said:
3 hours ago, HooseLee said:
Can't sign the lease until housing association is open again.  Been told by removal firm that both properties have to be empty for three days.  The other one is but not sure where I can go to leave mine empty.  There's no b&b etc.  Not allowed to visit others so pretty cornered. 

I looked into this, as I am in a similar position. Legally hotels and b&bs can still accommodate people if they need the room due to delays in moving house. Of course most hotels and b&bs are closed. Airbnb is still taking bookings so that might be your best bet.

That means I'm only waiting for the housing association office to open again.  I might see if they can do it some other way.  Thanks 

A lot of people thinking places like restaurants, hairdressers, garden centres etc will be open again on the 11th May. Can’t see hairdressers tbh seeing as they work in close proximity to a client for what can be hours. 
It will be to top those running businesses and there'll be plenty who will choose to reopen.

1 hour ago, Speroni*1 said:

Panorama tonight would be enough to take down a government in most democratic countries. Britain will barely bat an eyelid and just be glad, 'Boris our hero back to save us'.

I wonder is there any chance we have reached a tipping point in BBC coverage of the Coronavirus. I had a feeling, watching some of the other news programmes, that attitudes to Government action (or inaction) were beginning to harden. One of the interviewees in the Panorama programme resisted the depiction of NHS staff as heroes because self sacrifice is what is expected of heroes. That, in itself, was a break with the narrative we are being offered and, generally, accepting.  It looks as though the two clearest indicators of Government failure will be how we compare with comparable nations in overall death rates in the general population, and in the NHS workforce.  The test of any new-found honesty and boldness in BBC reportage will be the Corporation's morphing from house journal of Government to responsible, independent scrutiny of Government policy, and willingness to speak candidly on what is found.  

1 minute ago, Thane of Cawdor said:

I wonder is there any chance we have reached a tipping point in BBC coverage of the Coronavirus. I had a feeling, watching some of the other news programmes, that attitudes to Government action (or inaction) were beginning to harden. One of the interviewees in the Panorama programme resisted the depiction of NHS staff as heroes because self sacrifice is what is expected of heroes. That, in itself, was a break with the narrative we are being offered and, generally, accepting.  It looks as though the two clearest indicators of Government failure will be how we compare with comparable nations in overall death rates in the general population, and in the NHS workforce.  The test of any new-found honesty and boldness in BBC reportage will be the Corporation's morphing from house journal of Government to responsible, independent scrutiny of Government policy, and willingness to speak candidly on what is found.  

The most scrutiny will come when folk start to wonder why the rest of the world is able to come out lockdown so far before us. Fucking up at the front end will f**k up the tail end too.  

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

The most scrutiny will come when folk start to wonder why the rest of the world is able to come out lockdown so far before us. Fucking up at the front end will f**k up the tail end too.  

Have you looked on Twitter? The procurement officials for the NHS are to blame not oor Boris.

41 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

We are a consumer economy.  The biggest short-to-medium threat to the economy is people reluctant to spend money.  The results of that survey suggest this is a very real possibility in the U.K.  A recession can become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Maybe if our response had been as effective as Germany’s then things wouldn’t be so bad.

Two things:

1) Germany is in recession. South Korea is in recession too.

2) Keeping everything open and letting the virus spike would have had a pretty dramatic effect on consumption too.

The Governor of the BOE thinks lifting restrictions too soon and then reintroducing  lockdown measures would be worse than keeping current restrictions in place. That's a view supported by economists across the spectrum.

2 hours ago, trainspotter said:

Was supposed to conclude the sale of my late father's house two weeks ago. On hold but the intention is to conclude within 10 days of the end of lockdown.

What that means in real terms is anyone's guess.

I'm hoping that council offices, housing association offices are going to be open as part of the first lockdown restrictions being lifted.  I reckon enough 6 weeks at least  very frustrating.  

37 minutes ago, Speroni*1 said:

Have you looked on Twitter? The procurement officials for the NHS are to blame not oor Boris.

Maybe I am living in hope that the tide will slowly turn in favour of the government being held to account

58 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Is flour still not available?

I'd have thought it would be sorted out by now, much like the toilet rolls.

Flour is ok, but i've not seen caster sugar or baking powder since March