Coronavirus (COVID-19)

29 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Mum latest. Reluctant acceptance it might be worth letting me arrange a food order after I got my brother to deliver the same message. HOWEVER:

• Only Maris Piper potatoes, maybe some nice salad potatoes if they look nice.
  • Some fish, but only haddock.
  • Only big tomatoes. We don't like the little cherry ones.
  • Pasta, but only if it's nice. Last time we were in the choice was limited and we didn't think much of what they had.

After a childhood of being told I'll eat what's put in front of me it was all I could do not to say as much down the phone.

ETA: too tired to go on the computer and email me a vague list today, aye you have a wee rest it's not like slots are being taken further into April every hour.

Having similar conversations with my mother whos 67, has heart and respiratory problems. My dad is showing symptoms so he's isolated in a room in the house. 

Shes been calling and messaging me non stop as shes "bored in the house" I've come up with suggestions - each one is batted down immediately. I said "why not clean the house up" she says "i don't want to fill my bin up" (which she barely uses)

Her idea is just to "get whatever he has and get it over with"

I said "Yeah but you could die" she says "Yeah but its unlikely"

Making a bad situation 10x worse and have had enough of it already. Why can't people just behave.

4 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

People are facing losing their livelihoods because of coronavirus but here comes Jock McSporran from Dunfermline complaining about having to work a few extra hours to ship essential goods to people in need.

Humans are the worst.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-51921916

Why don't you go and volunteer to do it? 

2 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

How the f**k do you get a bonus for running an airport?

By consistently referencing the new Berlin airport at every opportunity I would imagine.

Just now, Scary Bear said:

If members of the general public trusted the government a bit more then maybe they wouldn’t panic buy.

Well, who does trust their government?. There's panic buying around the globe. Even in places like New Zealand where there's a respected sensible PM. Its just a natural reaction to uncertainty. 

Just now, Ross. said:

If they die, they die, eh?

I suspect Dominic Cummings was very keen on the building up herd immunity asap approach until it was ridiculed around the world and most UK experts, especially with no vaccine or even any certainty that you can't catch it repeatedly.

22 minutes ago, Bairn Necessities said:

I don't know.. people are idiots. This is happening worldwide,  not just in the UK. Some people are unfortunately selfish b*****ds, and would rather they had 350 bog rolls just in case,  even if it meant the old woman next door having none.

I struggle to blame the government for panic buying - and its inevitable there will be shortages of some foods over the next while. I don't see how supermarkets can ever promise to keep shelves stocked when there's so much uncertainty just now.

I agree that people are idiots, which is why they need led with clear and concise information from an authoritative figure.

10 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:

Every major Supermarket in the Country have already put out a joint letter asking people to stop being selfish arseholes as we need time to get stock out the DCs & on to the shelves, but the selfish arseholes won't listen.

Supermarkets have the power to limit the number of items people can buy, they haven't bothered their arse. Why would anyone listen to a flimsy wee letter from Mr Tesco when their checkout staff are happy to wring through 82 bog rolls for them?

Edited by The Moonster

1 minute ago, Bairn Necessities said:

Well, who does trust their government?. There's panic buying around the globe. Even in places like New Zealand where there's a respected sensible PM. Its just a natural reaction to uncertainty. 

Can you eat toilet roll?

Guest Moomintroll
You do realize all of those amazon workers are facing losing their livelihoods as well yeah?
Amazon is probably the safest job to have right now, by the time this is over 1000s of little Independents will be gone for good & they will be there with all the products they used to sell.

Just now, Moomintroll said:
4 minutes ago, BawWatchin said:
You do realize all of those amazon workers are facing losing their livelihoods as well yeah?

Amazon is probably the safest job to have right now, by the time this is over 1000s of little Independents will be gone for good & they will be there with all the products they used to sell.

Or the fact they're being made to work away from home in a warehouse full of hundreds of people under the circumstances, could make it the most dangerous job of all?

3 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

............ when their checkout staff are happy to wring through 82 bog rolls for them?

Don't take this the wrong way Moony, but that's given me the best laugh of the day.  Chapeau, sir......😷

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And so it begins with smaller football clubs. Will the Premier League help them out ?..............

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/mar/17/barnet-lay-off-all-non-playing-staff-coronavirus-national-league

Edited by Florentine_Pogen

Guest bernardblack
Exactly. If you can point out where Johnson has made this clear to the public I'll happily accept he's got a handle on things.

100% this.

All it would take would be “lockdown is a possible option but we will continue to leave pharmacies and supermarkets open for essentials” to stop everyone dining on toilet rolls for the next 3 months

11 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

How the f**k do you get a bonus for running an airport?

Because he's a fly bast**d ?

Edited by WATTOO

People are only panic buying because they believe they won't be able to get things. You don't panic buy bog roll if you know the shops open next week. We have had zero information on what our lock down scenario will be. That's not leadership.
And the government making it clear exactly what would be open if we do go full lockdown would be a massive help. I know Facebook shouldn't be trusted for most things, but this info from Italy ties with what I have read elsewhere about their restrictions.

20200317_163223.jpeg20200317_163241.jpeg20200317_163259.jpeg

Guest Moomintroll
Supermarkets have the power to limit the number of items people can buy, they haven't bothered their arse. Why would anyone listen to a flimsy wee letter from Mr Tesco when their checkout staff are happy to wring through 82 bog rolls for them?
It's a good question but there a few reasons, a proportion of selfish arseholes will become violent so staff need protecting, selfish arseholes will pay no attention to any signs which will cause even more holdups & flashpoints at the tills, then other selfish arseholes will plunder their trollies, wahey more violence! Unfortunately some if it also comes down to good old competition, if we don't sell them it then Mr Asda down the road will & there is no way you will get every Supermarket to agree limits on the affected products especially when there are so many being panic bought.

53 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

It's a culture of short termism and has been for the past 30 years, although it's been getting progressively worse.

CEO's and Boards in conjunction with the large shareholders such as the institutions and hedgefunds actively drive it and when the profit ceiling is hit they pull out and move on to their next victim. It used to be called asset stripping.

Capitalism isn't bad per se but real capitalism is about continuously investing in your company and your workforce, through upgrading of machinery, staff training etc, however in this society all that's out the window as that dents profit.

Let's just say the Chickens are coming home to roost for many......

Aye it is.  Cooperation is a better model than competition.