Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, Michael W said:

They have failed at basic expectation management from day 1, so they will do so again. 

The trouble with the 12 weeks is: how long will it be until all the second doses are received? Probably 24 weeks minimum, which is nearly half the year. 

I see Pfizer have been out rubbishing the assumptions of the Government and the science as well, telling them there's no evidence 1 dose offers protection. 

Ignoring the protocols used in the successful trial and leaving people with an unknown level of immunity for 3 months seems like a great way to try to engineer a vaccine-resistant strain tbh.

REtired GPs and other medics are being asked to provide 21 pieces of evidence to allow them to come back and assist with the vaccination programme.

"Preventing radicalisation" - are there many Al Queda members among the retired GP community? 

23 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

From what I’ve read they seem to be vaccinating Mon-Fri. Seems fcking ridiculous when the drive through test centres are open 12 hrs a day, 7 days a week. 

That's not a problem just now due to the storage requirements and limited supply of the PFizer Vax but it has to be a scalable operation for instance NHS use the breast cancer screening lorries during the day but can others, probably the army use them to vaccinate through the night. That to me would seem sensible

17 minutes ago, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

Ignoring the protocols used in the successful trial and leaving people with an unknown level of immunity for 3 months seems like a great way to try to engineer a vaccine-resistant strain tbh.

You can already picture Hancock being sent to deliver the bad news, can't you? 

I hope it's nothing more than pessimism after the last nine months, but I can't help but feel there's one more major howler still to occur. 

5 minutes ago, 101 said:

That's not a problem just now due to the storage requirements and limited supply of the PFizer Vax but it has to be a scalable operation for instance NHS use the breast cancer screening lorries during the day but can others, probably the army use them to vaccinate through the night. That to me would seem sensible

Still need to be doing breast cancer screening, plenty alternatives like sports centres or village halls where flu vaccines get given etc.

Still need to be doing breast cancer screening, plenty alternatives like sports centres or village halls where flu vaccines get given etc.
What about schools at the weekend? Quite literally every population centre has one or more within easy reach.

It's almost the perfect solution, except for the fact that it would require a wee bit of weekend graft

2 hours ago, Paco said:

I can’t help but feel a lot of you are getting your knickers in a twist over nothing. Once we’ve vaccinated the elderly and the vulnerable, restrictions will drop to a Tier 1 style thing at worst. Expectation right now is that’ll be April/May. Once the vaccine is into a certain amount of the younger population, life in the UK will have either zero or very limited restrictions, probably from about July/August if vaccination schedules work out.

“Keep the heid” is more relevant now than ever. The end is in sight, but it’s going to be a hard fucking slog to get there.

In what alternative universe are restrictions for another six to seven months 'getting your knickers into a twist over nothing'? Your handy reminder that the SG's tier system was set up as the minimum restrictions that would be needed until there was a treatment. There are no less than three fucking vaccines as well as treatments within hospitals for the more seriously ill patients. There's therefore zero justification for drumming our hands for another half year until Sridhar and a bunch of other clowns decide when restrictions must end. And Tier 1 is not even remotely back to normal either.

All of the tiers should be launched into the bin as soon as the ICU levels are on a sustained downward path. Not when the current vaccination program gets round to doing every single person in a vulnerable category.

Edited by vikingTON

Just now, Bairnardo said:

What about schools at the weekend? Quite literally every population centre has one or more within easy reach.

It's almost the perfect solution, except for the fact that it would require a wee bit of weekend graft

And trained staff

1 minute ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

I don't think they do them over night which was what I meant was put the lorries up at major night time employers, hospitals, sorting offices warehouses and get jabbing folk who are up through the night.

But agree only problem I can see with that is you get in a flow and then have to stop it all for a few days to hold the election and then start it all back up.

Just now, Bairnardo said:

Think logistically for me anyway you have to have somewhere you can use 24/7, unloading equipment in and out of schools on saturday mornings and sunday nights takes up valuable jaggy jaggy time. Thats why town halls etc are invaluable. 

49 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

They should be setting out, in line with Sturgeons previous statements of "no restrictions in place for a minute longer than neccessary" what neccesssry actually means. They should absolutely not be floating the idea of a never ending use of emergency powers on the basis of the spread of a respiratory infection which has been widely vaccinated against (with heavy focus on the small at risk group) and a "let's just wait and see" cautious attitude.

If you do not think misuse of power is a consideration at the ballot box fair play. I do though. And I wont cast a vote in the theoretical hope of future independence when it means backing people who in current practice are throwing people lives, prosperity, health and happiness on a bonfire because they dont have the stomach for what should be an incredibly simple cost benefit analysis based on nothing more than hospital capacity.

Of course, all of this is currently speculation. I am only going on the current language they are using and to me its unacceptable.

How stupid are you? What has the current Scottish government have to do with independence? After independence then you and anybody else can vote for any political party. If enough folk agree with you then it will be a totally different political party that will be the government in an independent Scotland.

1 minute ago, 101 said:

I don't think they do them over night which was what I meant was put the lorries up at major night time employers, hospitals, sorting offices warehouses and get jabbing folk who are up through the night.

But agree only problem I can see with that is you get in a flow and then have to stop it all for a few days to hold the election and then start it all back up.

I get your point then, but it can be so much easier, say you want to vaccinate 5,000 people at Faslane base or 5,000 people at BAE then they could repurpose some of the incident management vans or use police/fire hgvs too. There are ways and means to get it done it just needs them to stop thinking like NHS managers and more like competent people.