Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Nearly every drama queen I know have said they have had the virus(most before it was even known to be in the country) if they are going to be short of vaccines wouldn't it be wise to do some antibody testing to see if a lot of folk have built up immunity. Also they have went really quiet on whether you can catch it twice stuff. I remember a couple of reports of re infection but this was in early testing so may have been false positives.

Edited by dirty dingus

If Gove is admitting that it's unlikely restrictions will be lifted in mid-February, and that includes schools, I can see them being closed for longer than the 1st February up here too.

5 minutes ago, dirty dingus said:

Nearly every drama queen I know have said they have had the virus(most before it was even known to be in the country) if they are going to be short of vaccines wouldn't it be wise to do some antibody testing to see if a lot of folk have built up immunity. Also they have went really quiet on whether you can catch it twice stuff. I remember a couple of reports of re infection but this was in early testing so may have been false positives.

I'm sure I read the test to see if you had it loses efficacy after 3 months? 

1 minute ago, Gaz said:

If Gove is admitting that it's unlikely restrictions will be lifted in mid-February, and that includes schools, I can see them being closed for longer than the 1st February up here too.

I'd guess they'll definitely be shut until the February long weekend (middle of the month)

1 minute ago, Gaz said:

I think thats a given 

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 minute ago, D.A.F.C said:
2 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:
Yes I get that. But that's not remotely the same as saying "without it there is no way out of constant restrictions."
Once we have vaccinated those in the at risk groups, it's not needed.

And if the vaccine doesn't work?

Then we're all fucked. 

I see what Todd is saying. There has to be a balance between lockdown and 'normal' life, and given that serious hospitalisation and/or death occurs almost exclusively within the aged/at risk group, in theory once they are vaccinated then life should begin to return to some kind of normal.

It depends on what government strategy/policy is. As I understand it, having the vaccine does not mean that you can't contract the virus and that you can still spread it. That means that eliminating the virus in the short term is virtually impossible.....and so we'll still have the daily figures of xxxxx positive cases to look forward to for a long time yet.

If governments react to these figures, then lockdown is going to last a loooooooooooooooong time. 

In theory though, we should see a drop in the number of deaths and ICU admissions within a month or so. If the governments use common sense and react to these figures, then hopefully restrictions can begin to be eased.

6 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Rut-roh
60 million new vaccines required for 2021.

We have more than enough Vaccinations in fact we have 210 million shots on order a number I thought was far too high for a country with our population but in fact it may be exactly what we need.

I didn't watch the Prime Ministers address the nation but I see that he listed a number of priority groups for vaccination, number around 12,000,000 people, with the target to do them by mid-February.  This seems like a big big ask but the seasonal flu vaccine is usually given to more people in a shorter time frame so we should be able to replicate that, especially if the Oxford vaccine doesn't have cold chain storage requirements etc.

3 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Rut-roh
60 million new vaccines required for 2021.

I had to look up rut-roh, nice scooby doo reference.

I thought the vaccines that were the higher efficiency 95% don't do the usual give you a small does of the virus to build up antibodie  but alters the structure of the virus to make it impotent

Guest Bob Mahelp
2 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I didn't watch the Prime Ministers address the nation but I see that he listed a number of priority groups for vaccination, number around 12,000,000 people, with the target to do them by mid-February.  This seems like a big big ask but the seasonal flu vaccine is usually given to more people in a shorter time frame so we should be able to replicate that, especially if the Oxford vaccine doesn't have cold chain storage requirements etc.

Yeap. 

It seems that we're getting down to logistics. If we (as in UK/Scottish governments) manage to f**k this up, then there's no hope for us as a country. 

I had to look up rut-roh, nice scooby doo reference.
I thought the vaccines that were the higher efficiency 95% don't do the usual give you a small does of the virus to build up antibodie  but alters the structure of the virus to make it impotent
Think so, I remember as well when the vaccines were all competing there was one that basically prevented all coronaviruses.
If someone can come up with that then there would be zero, cold, flu, sars.
It went quiet though but it was defiantly in development.

Edit found it

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-clinical-trials-for-pain-free-coronavirus-vaccine-could-begin-in-autumn-12056874

4 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Yeap. 

It seems that we're getting down to logistics. If we (as in UK/Scottish governments) manage to f**k this up, then there's no hope for us as a country. 

Also Gove basically promised they would get it done after being harangued by Morgan. If the supply of vaccines is there then it must be done, if not blame is on the respected governments in charge. There has been a lot suffered by the public and this is a must do moment, so whatever resources are needed they should be getting put in place immediately and start jabbing like a ringful of flyweight boxers.