Coronavirus (COVID-19)

8 hours ago, cambozpar said:

The real reason why if youve gotta go to work , dont got to work doesnt work and why no real worthwhile lockdown order will ever be given.

If you want to really stop this virus .......

1) 3-4 weeks real lockdown{ ie no reason whatsoever to be out of your own garden.  24-7 lockdown . set date in advance , fortnight-month given to collect supplies

2) Army to be tested and isolated a the  same time as orders given so they can patrol steets/citys . firing squad to all non compliant citizens /stupid people

3)  No travel overseas , Stamp in passport when vaccined, . tested on return from foreign travel, holding pen /hotel on return until results confirmed . No foreign inbound travel unless vaccine stamp in passport.

Not perfect but we do live in a geographical place where this could work , few tweaks here and there obviously without the army death squads preferably , thoughts anyone?

That one should definitely be kept, imho.

For the tradesmen here, our carpet fitters are still intending to come to measure today and are still doing fittings. 

Extremely surprised about that. Can only assume they're using some kind of loophole. We desperately need a carpet but it's not life or death. Don't know how I feel about it. 

31 minutes ago, dirty dingus said:

Woud that in turn mean the antibodies are gone by 3 months post covid?

Dont know mate, as I say, I'm only remembering something I once read in a year of reading stuff I barely understand. 

My mate (a teacher) had all the symptoms in Feb (including no taste) and tested negative to the teaching anti-body testing. At the time she thought she had it you couldn't get a test though, so it's all guesswork. 

1 minute ago, madwullie said:

For the tradesmen here, our carpet fitters are still intending to come to measure today and are still doing fittings. 

Extremely surprised about that. Can only assume they're using some kind of loophole. We desperately need a carpet but it's not life or death. Don't know how I feel about it. 

In the March lockdown I lived near a builders supply company whose yard was near a park where we took our wee boy for our daily walk.  On every occasion we went they were open for business, doing a roaring trade.  A couple of times there were literally dozens upon dozens of vans queued up, right back out onto the street.

My basic level of understanding is that you get the virus, your body recognises it, immune system produces antibodies to batter it and for a few months post-infection the antibodies are still there.  If you come into contact with the virus again a year later your immune system recognises it and suppresses it with antibodies as it already knows how to make them from the previous infection. 

1 hour ago, Caledonian1 said:

Just to clarify - are you in England?  I am getting an extension built and anticipating the tradesmen turning up any minute now  (for clarity - in Scotland and thought they could work under Level 4 rules) Started work in October 19 and still a couple months work to do.....it's never ending.

FFS, what size of an extension are you getting built. Should have been damn near finished by the time of the initial lockdown.

3 hours ago, dirty dingus said:

Think the ban was to include in transit flyers from UK

Non residents weren’t/aren’t allowed into Singapore for some time. Its been a bit of a cornerstone of their defence against this. Of course, as you say, doubling down on the UK now as many countries have out here.

The police access for test and trace here is not a simple as being reported and I’d take our situation here over anywhere else without doubt.

My basic level of understanding is that you get the virus, your body recognises it, immune system produces antibodies to batter it and for a few months post-infection the antibodies are still there.  If you come into contact with the virus again a year later your immune system recognises it and suppresses it with antibodies as it already knows how to make them from the previous infection. 
^^^ Jason Leitch IMO

Guest Bob Mahelp
7 minutes ago, madwullie said:

We've had painters and joiners in renovating the house for the last few weeks. They're only halfway through the job, house is a building site.

They all wanted to come back today, but we told them no. Then we got up and found out that the heating is fucked. In fact, it seems that the last thing they did last night was actually disconnect the radiators in every room apart from the living room (I maybe should have checked that).

Now I'm on the phone begging them to come back... 😞

48 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

So testing in China hasnt worked?
I dont agree with your strawman arguement. Rather than explaining why testing doesn't work youve got personal because you cant back up your arguement.

The vaccines work. 

However, for TTI to be effective you need to be below a certain level of community prevelance otherwise it becomes impossible to trace an infection chain. 

Depending on the level of asymptomatic infections that becomes harder as well.

What we need is not TTI at this stage, but mass testing. No need to trace, just test everyone.

You would need to do it on a massive scale and on a short cadence. Once you have it below a certain level of community prevelance then TTI becomes a more useful tool again.

8 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

That would make sense and basically make antibody tests obsolete. Although would mean you aren't protected as such against the virus coming in but your body is now armed to kick its c**t in.

Edited by dirty dingus

46 minutes ago, madwullie said:

I'm sure I read the test to see if you had it loses efficacy after 3 months? 

There are different studies. The last one I read or health workers was that there was still good immunity to reinvention after 6 months.

12 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Think so, I remember as well when the vaccines were all competing there was one that basically prevented all coronaviruses.
If someone can come up with that then there would be zero, cold, flu, sars.
It went quiet though but it was defiantly in development.

Edit found it

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-clinical-trials-for-pain-free-coronavirus-vaccine-could-begin-in-autumn-12056874

Should be ready by the end of the year. This is from November.

5 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

FFS, what size of an extension are you getting built. Should have been damn near finished by the time of the initial lockdown.

yup exactly.  A living room and bedroom with en-suite up stairs. My next door neighbour is the builder and he probably has too much on his plate with other business interests.  no progress at all for months from last years lock down, then he was in hospital for a back operation, then his joiner off for medical reasons.  They are doing a great job though and are making the windows from scratch. Just hope that this current lock-down does not delay any further but with so many trades still to do their bit (heating, plumber, taper) there is no guarantee.  

1 hour ago, madwullie said:

I think because even at 2 million a week, the models suggest that isn't enough to get ahead of the virus at the current level of spread. So it's important still to trace those that are able to spread it amongst the unvaccinated. 

Eidt: I didn't see it, but this seems to be what they're talking about. She does mention elimination though which won't go down well here. 

From the same person, the whole thread is worth a read but...

2 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

yup exactly.  A living room and bedroom with en-suite up stairs. My next door neighbour is the builder and he probably has too much on his plate with other business interests.  no progress at all for months from last years lock down, then he was in hospital for a back operation, then his joiner off for medical reasons.  They are doing a great job though and are making the windows from scratch. Just hope that this current lock-down does not delay any further but with so many trades still to do their bit (heating, plumber, taper) there is no guarantee.  

Hmmm, two storeys, still, should be a lot further progressed than it appears to be. Is the roof on? Lack of windows is going to hold up finishing trades.

1 minute ago, Jacksgranda said:

Hmmm, two storeys, still, should be a lot further progressed than it appears to be. Is the roof on? Lack of windows is going to hold up finishing trades.

oh yes roof on week before previous lockdown - windows frames in and hoping glass goes in this week