Coronavirus (COVID-19)

November 12th is a long, long time ago and things have changed considerably in the past couple of weeks. So just before Christmas when the gov advised against travelling across the border, and then said "there must be no non-essential travel between Scotland and other parts of the UK.  That advice also applies to overseas travel." Did someone at Parkhead not maybe think their trip to Dubai was no longer a goer?  

Agreed. But if the trip was known about at Holyrood they should have been telling Celtic that permission had been rescinded when we went into tier 4, not allowing the trip to go ahead then moan about it after the fact. Celtic have dropped a huge PR clanger among their own support by going ahead with it, at least if any of my mates are anything to go by.

41 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

You were talking about people using annual or parental leave to stay off to look after kids. That’s isn’t what’s happening.

That's exactly what people will be doing up and down the country, for the foreseeable future.

12 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Using "the current rate" is completely pointless given that up until now they've relied on the more difficult to administer Pfizer vaccine, but are now just starting to roll out the mass-produced Astra Zeneca one.

It would be like me leaving the house in the morning and walking to the train station, then working out how long it would take me to get to work if I kept walking rather than getting on the train.

Fair enough, just making the point it's going to take a while.... Also, might as well say the two years at 1 million a week is pointless too, as according to Freeman today, it's going to be nearer the end of January before we even get the bulk of the early doses from Astra Zeneca.

12 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Agreed. But if the trip was known about at Holyrood they should have been telling Celtic that permission had been rescinded when we went into tier 4, not allowing the trip to go ahead then moan about it after the fact. Celtic have dropped a huge PR clanger among their own support by going ahead with it, at least if any of my mates are anything to go by.

I didn't realise Celtic were not responsible for themselves.

10 minutes ago, virginton said:

That's exactly what people will be doing up and down the country, for the foreseeable future.

They won’t. They’ll either be working from home (so both looking after kids & working) or if they cannot work, they’ll be furloughed. You can’t make people take annual leave for this. 

2 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

They won’t. They’ll either be working from home (so both looking after kids & working) or if they cannot work, they’ll be furloughed. You can’t make people take annual leave for this. 

Yes employers can and will.

There is no obligation on employers to furlough employees to allow employees to look after their kids.

Edited by strichener

2 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

My work told us we would have to take annual leave if we had to watch children.

6 minutes ago, strichener said:

Yes employers can and will.

There is no obligation on employers to furlough employees to allow employees to look after their kids.

Ok, sorry they can but I just don’t see why they would. It’s not practical, leave will only last for so long - the likelihood is that lockdown will probably last beyond Jan so making someone use all their leave and go into unpaid leave would not benefit anyone.  You’d be better furloughing them in the long-run.

Edited by Jambomo

21 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

Furlough is if there is no work to do. If there is work to do, but they can't do it because they have to stay at home to look after kids, then that time off is either annual leave or unpaid. It's a shit situation that a lot of people who cannot work from home will now be plunged into.

16 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

Ok, sorry they can but I just don’t see why they would. It’s not practical, leave will only last for so long - the likelihood is that lockdown will probably last beyond Jan so making someone use all their leave and go into unpaid leave would not benefit anyone.  You’d be better furloughing them in the long-run.

From December, HMRC will be publishing all companies that are claiming furlough cash and a bandings of amounts.  Some businesses may want to avoid being on this list.  Also the furlough scheme is there to support viable employment, the longer these lockdowns go on, the more jobs will be lost.

Employers also have to make NI and pension contributions for furloughed employees, so it isn't a zero cost option.

Yeah the SG had nothing else on their minds for that 7 weeks after Celtic's initial inquiry. It should really have been uppermost in their thoughts [emoji3166]

2 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

Slightly disingenuous comment.

Alcohol still available from supermarkets and all the usual retail outlets. They’re essentially banning the plastic pint pots that I recall thoroughly enjoying in the sun at the back end of April/May time last year. Not so much fun in February I’d wager so probably not that much of a biggie for now. 

5 hours ago, 1nickydevlin said:

Very unclear on the whole construction thing .I cant go and fit a non essential radiator in someone's house .but I can go too a construction site.is a extension or loft conversion deemed construction.? 

From The Herald’s (apparently) verbatim transcript of the roolz: 

Examples of reasonable excuses to leave the home: 

(a) obtain or provide— 

(i) food and medical supplies for those in the same household (including animals in the household) or for vulnerable persons, 

(ii) supplies for the essential upkeep, maintenance and functioning of the household, or the household of a vulnerable person, 

(b) work or provide voluntary or charitable services, where it is not possible for the person to do so from home, 

——

Up to your own common sense interpretation but I think you can do both as you fall into (b) quite comfortably. A plumber/joiner can’t work from home unless you can tell me otherwise? Wear a mask, client keeps their distance (not yakking in the room where you are fitting the radiator)  wash hands on way in and out and ventilate the space while you’re there.

The zero risk option is don’t go but zero wages can also be quite harmful to health. 

2 hours ago, Hauzen said:

Furlough is if there is no work to do. If there is work to do, but they can't do it because they have to stay at home to look after kids, then that time off is either annual leave or unpaid. It's a shit situation that a lot of people who cannot work from home will now be plunged into.

That doesn't seem to be quite true.

Screenshot_20210104-211853_Facebook.jpg

Edited by Todd_is_God

1 hour ago, alta-pete said:

zero wages can also be quite harmful to health

The real reason why if youve gotta go to work , dont got to work doesnt work and why no real worthwhile lockdown order will ever be given.

If you want to really stop this virus .......

1) 3-4 weeks real lockdown{ ie no reason whatsoever to be out of your own garden.  24-7 lockdown . set date in advance , fortnight-month given to collect supplies

2) Army to be tested and isolated a the  same time as orders given so they can patrol steets/citys . firing squad to all non compliant citizens /stupid people

3)  No travel overseas , Stamp in passport when vaccined, . tested on return from foreign travel, holding pen /hotel on return until results confirmed . No foreign inbound travel unless vaccine stamp in passport.

Not perfect but we do live in a geographical place where this could work , few tweaks here and there obviously without the army death squads preferably , thoughts anyone?

Edited by cambozpar
slight change of heart