Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 minute ago, Alert Mongoose said:

You can sit and keep yourself amused with various things in the house. A four year old Bairn can but not for very long.

Ah right, so it's just that it's not pleasant rather than a good reason.

"Completely impractical" would be if there 14 alligators released into the property for an hour a day

1 minute ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I can safely say that if I am the last man on earth I still won't be doing any gardening or DIY.

You’re not digging your own grave with that post.

Edited by Granny Danger

Guest JTS98
2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

There's enough for one or two knee trembling squaddies in each town in the UK.

I don't think they're going to send any to Lanark. Or to Stonehaven.

That's clearly not the point.

Going out on a limb here, but really not... when Boris says the government may need to take stronger action if the public don’t heed the advice, he doesn’t mean individuals or couples out for a walk who, from time to time, may not be exactly 2m away from the nearest person. He means the scum wankers who deliberately and knowingly act as if nothing has happened, they don’t give a fcuk, an’ no cnut tells them what to do. Brain dead entitled thick fcukwits. The Benidorm ‘it’s only the flu’ crowd. The young London crowd who think they are above it and continued to pack wine bars. Basically, the most selfish cnuts in society. I hope at least enough of them can screw the nut, even a bit, to allow the rest of us to go outside on our own for a bit without the need for a permit or to answer to a police officer or soldier.

I bought football socks for 5s a couple of weeks back. Capital outlay on sports wear is a risk at my age at the best of times, but I might never get the wear out of them now. I'm prepared to let these go for less than the price they cost me, only worn twice.
£2.50
Might do for Throbber during his self-isolating period.

Just now, Marshmallo said:

Completely impractical or just not what you'd prefer doing with your time?

Heard a surprising amount of folk sounding angry at the government for being told to look after their own kids for a bit. One boy on radio Scotland complaining that he was having to see more of his ex. 

4 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

So what? Folk moderate their behaviour all day despite going weeks without seeing a policeman. It's the effect of the images on telly and the odd pair of soldiers being seen.

We could relax drink driving laws temporarily, the roads are quiet enough now.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

So what should you do if you go for a walk in a park and it is crowded?

Prof Robert Dingwall, a sociologist from Nottingham Trent University who is advising the UK government, said problems occur when people cannot maintain the recommended two metre (6ft) separation.

He says: "If that is the case, then it probably is better to go home and pick a quieter time or a quieter location."

Dr Robin Thompson, an epidemiologist at Oxford University, added: "The key thing is to exercise while minimising contacts.

"There are many walks all across the UK - so, where possible, individuals can research walks without main attractions such as viewpoints or other areas that represent likely gathering points for groups of people."

"Local footpaths are likely to be less crowded than walks through major parks. And we can all try and maintain at least two metres distance between ourselves and others while out exercising."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-51994675?ns_mchannel=social&ns_source=twitter&ns_campaign=bbc_live&ns_linkname=5e7770bc9ea9fc0673e7b071%26What to do if you go for a walk and it's crowded%3F%262020-03-22T16%3A13%3A48.130Z&ns_fee=0&pinned_post_locator=urn:asset:e0d94615-212c-4855-936d-54154c1794b8&pinned_post_asset_id=5e7770bc9ea9fc0673e7b071&pinned_post_type=share

This may last many months, perhaps even well over a year. 

People placed in near house arrest with failing relationships, super grouchy children, having a shitty bedroom in over crowded shared accommodation, with noisy neighbors, in a damp studio flat, moved back in with parents from uni where you had had a home of your own... all kinds of unpleasant cramped conditions. 

Lots of macho posturing about how easy it is to just stay indoors. Today exercise and greenspace are widely seen as important parts of mental health. The physical and mental health of many of the 67 million people of this country will come under increasing pressure of every week they are cooped up and confined. 

Seriously everyone on this thread needs to be thinking about their mental health and that of those in the houses and flats with them and how to manage what could be a very extended period of pressure. Get out while you can, practice good social distancing and wash your hands after you get back in. Be sure to regularly disinfect all metal surfaces you regularly touch such as light switches and door handles, if you are being super vigilante change your cloths after being out. 

But do not go for some macho enforced imprisonment, when you will have to self isolate and when the real lock down comes will be long and hard enough. Get some sun shine and fresh air. Feel the breeze, walk with the kids so they do not get too claustrophobic. 

My partners shop is now shut indefinitely and I will likely be working from home for the foreseeable. 

However, my stepdaughter works 12 hour shifts in a private non NHS care home but is currently in self isolation due to showing a couple of symptoms. 

In the event of a lockdown, once she is  fine to return to work, would she be able to bring her 7 year old daughter up to us to watch through the day while she works and then collect her and take her home at night? 

She also has two wee house cats who are at home all day. The routine when she works is that my Mrs generally goes and gives them food about 3pm (as stepdaughter works 8am to 8pm). Would this also be permitted as she'd have zero human interaction and the house is about a quarter mile drive away?

I went for a walk myself earlier and then my wife and son and I went for a short walk along the Water of Leith Walkway, perfectly doable o stay the require distance. We will probably spend most of our time with him during this in our garden though.

1 hour ago, Hedgecutter said:

Large part of the problem is people expecting themselves to be the only ones somewhere (which they may well be), but then deciding to pop past a Spar in some Perthshire hamlet en-route only to find a bunch of other Peter Storm lovers in each other's faces.

If just 1% of folk in Edinburgh decided to hit the hills on a sunny day like today, then that's an extra 4800 people driving through places like Aberfeldy & Calendar... and that's just from one city.  Of course, everybody seems to be some form of special exception.  Grinds my gears when you hear folk coming back from holiday saying the likes of "we've been a few times but it's been ruined because too many are going now".  Aye, because you're not one of them love.  <_<

While the overall case against traveling or setting up shop in the countryside is undoubtedly true, you have to admire the brass neck of all the teuchter bumpkins who want to set up a wicker man and burn all outsiders just to be on the safe side, when in any other March they'd be furiously turning their backwater into a shortbread tin scene to screw as much money from outsiders as possible during peak tourist season.

'Let London/Glasgow suffer so long as oor wee Barra is secure' is an understandable yet still distasteful sentiment IMO.