Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 minute ago, Alert Mongoose said:

You’re an utter moron.  I specifically said we went to places we knew would be empty.

You haven't answered why you literally cannot leave the house? What will you do in a full lockdown scenario if it's "completely impractical" to stay in?

The lockdown coming in is going to make the shops even more fucking unbearable again eh?

I havent been to one for over a week now and it will be next weekend before I can get to one.

Time for making decent grub should be one good thing about this. Wankers are going to ruin that too.

8 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I honestly can't envisage it being anywhere close to a year. Complete lockdown on a massive scale such as this is not a long term strategy that will work. 

Even with so many lives on the line, the negative effects of doing this would  far outweigh the positives on all fronts. The protection of the NHS from being overwhelmed with covid cases would lead to it being overwhelmed with mental health issues, possibly alongside covid cases. 

I give it just a few weeks before a considerable chunk of the population think "right, f*** this sh*t.  We're putting our lives on hold to protect the boomers who have already had their shot at their's" and then see any risk as collateral damage.  Tbh, a lot of these folk out and about just now probably think that already. 

One could argue that it's simply going to widen the rift between the generations rather than pull everyone together.  From what I've seen on social media, a large part of the do-good has a serious whiff of "look at me!" about it and the pessimistic side of me sees 'free food to the NHS staff' being little more than a cheap advertising campaign for many that probably wouldn't do it otherwise.  My faith in humanity was evidently crushed a while back. 

3 hours ago, bendan said:

Given that 60% of Africa's population is under the age of 25, I doubt that.

France has a greater than GDP than all of Africa.  People without electricity don't watch the news or listen to the radio.  A lack of clean water leads to health problems.  So do tropical diseases.  Corrupt governments don't care much for the people they look after.  Poor roads make it difficult to get to health centres and hospitals.  Similarly wars and civil unrest.  Most of the population will not have health insurance and anything that ensures automatic treatment.

This pandemic like everything will be a major disaster for Africa.

Just now, Alert Mongoose said:

I don’t recall being asked that question. 

39 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

What are the reasons that mean you literally cannot remain in the house, as opposed to personal preference?

Maybe easy to miss if the wean is running around screaming and forcing you out onto the streets so I've reposted it for you 

10 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

London.

Cyclists and joggers are selfish c***s even in a global crisis.

I don’t see the problem with the Richmond photo, if the people in it are keeping apart, washing their hands per’ the advice, not spreading their snot everywhere, and in short, heeding all the advice, including if they suffer any symptoms,, self-isolate per’ the advice. Looks like people out exercising. The New York photo would never have any amount of cyclists or joggers in it at the best of times. A million tourists, taxi cabs, and locals dressed as cartoon superheroes trying to get a buck from tourists for a photo. Wonder if the thousands of folk usually in Times Square are all being good coronavirus citizens wherever they are. Maybees aye, maybees naw. Comparing those two photos is fcuking nonsense. Maybe Central Park looks more like that Richmond photo.

Edited by pozbaird

1 hour ago, ford prefect said:

Fucking moronic neighbours here next to me still not getting the severity. Guy across the road has had about 10 visitors all laughing and joking about their extended holiday. Old boy visiting a friend 2 doors down " am no worried, if you're going to get it you'll get it" even the next door neighbour is off out with her sister to see her mum. It's fucking ridiculous. Clearly these people have never seen a loved one on a ventilator watching the oxygen go up to 100 unable to do anything about it.

That's exactly what's happening at my elderly neighbour's house just now. She's in her 70s and can barely breathe with chest problems. Being Mother's day there's been car-loads of visitors coming all day and they're having a party.

Wonder if they'll be allowed back for the funeral?

3 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

I give it just a few weeks before a considerable chunk of the population think "right, f*** this sh*t.  We're putting our lives on hold to protect the boomers who have already had their shot at their's" and then see any risk as collateral damage.  Tbh, a lot of these folk out and about just now probably think that already. 

There is definitely an element of truth to this. Older generations have been continually been selfish at the ballot box but now they have discovered society because there's a bug that doesn't care about your bank balance. 

Go to the pub and possibly kill your landlord. What's not to like. 

Just now, pozbaird said:

I don’t see the problem with the Richmond photo, if the people in it are keeping apart, washing their hands per’ the advice, and if they suffer any smptoms, self-isolate per’ the advice.

It's a video, not a photo. Watch it for 20 seconds and you'll see groups of people practically sitting on each other's knees.

1 minute ago, pozbaird said:

I don’t see the problem with the Richmond photo, if the people in it are keeping apart, washing their hands per’ the advice, and if they suffer any smptoms, self-isolate per’ the advice. Looks like people out exercising. The New York photo would never have any amount of cyclists or joggers in it at the best of times. A million tourists, taxi cabs, and locals dressed as cartoon superheroes trying to get a buck from tourists for a photo. Wonder if the thousands of folk usually in Times Square are all being good coronavirus citizens wherever they are. Maybees aye, maybees naw. Comparing those two photos is fcuking nonsense. Maybe Central Park looks more like that Richmond photo.

Busier on 42nd St

https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/united-states/new-york/new-york/nyc-42th-street.html

1 hour ago, JTS98 said:

How good are you at judging 2 metres? How much do you trust yourself to not drop your guard for a moment and do something stupid like shake someone's hand then touch your face? How much do you trust yourself to not touch a door handle somewhere when you're out, right after someone else has touched it? How do you know the other person has washed their hands? How do you know your pal you're out walking with isn't an asymptomatic carrier? How do you know you're not?

There was some absolute melt of a pub owner on the Falkirk Herald Facebook page claiming yesterday that having her pub open for one last jolly on Friday night was absolutely fine, as no-one was spreading anything. I assume she had personally tested every one of her punters to make sure they were negative.

Just now, MixuFixit said:

Not sure the analogy holds to what will soon be a "why are you outside" situation but nonetheless do you think the numbers of people doing that would go up, or do you think the number would go down if there was a soldier at the entrance?

Soldiers aren't riskier than sniffer dogs so I doubt it would change anything. 

Soldiers will be no different than the police during this. Probably more useless as they won't know the areas they are in.  They might start chucking kids into rivers like in Iraq but I doubt it.