Coronavirus (COVID-19)

The current case numbers flying thru the roof, and making next to no odds to hospital numbers is simply further proof that demanding vaccine status or negative tests actually doesnt keep anyonw any safer and is in fact, nonsense

51 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

This is just crazy.

44 minutes ago, Wile E Coyote said:

Quite like her when she's on the telly so didn't have her down as a  daftie. Living with cancer and heart disease is exactly what we are doing, in what what does she think we are not

Alice Roberts ousted herself as a complete psycho long ago.

42 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Tbf she's quoting Susan Michie there, whoever she is. 

A 'behavioural scientist' who is a member of the Communist Party of Great Britain and also just happens to be a millionaire!

19 minutes ago, The Stig said:

Sound the variant klaxon

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.express.co.uk/life-style/health/1454661/lambda-variant-symptoms-how-many-cases-confirmed-UK-evg/am

New Lamda variant found in Peru with 6 cases already in UK.  Is this ever going to end?

It's The Express. This has been known about for a while. Another irrelevance.

1 hour ago, Wile E Coyote said:

Quite like her when she's on the telly so didn't have her down as a  daftie. Living with cancer and heart disease is exactly what we are doing, in what what does she think we are not

It’s incredibly alarming to see how many people don’t realize that society functions on pragmatic decisions.   From an individual level right up to top level government just about everything we do is a balance.  

There has ALWAYS been an acceptable level of death.  Can we reduce road deaths dramatically by banning cars, of course but that’s insane.  We could reduce deaths slightly if we massively increased our spend on roads or reduced the speed limits but that’s not desirable.  

We can clearly do more to reduce cancer deaths,  everyone screened monthly, huge R&D spending etc.  Again there’s never been any demand for it.

The fact that every single politician knows deaths are acceptable and few of them have the balls to say it is incredible, they have meetings their entire careers where death rates are given and they make a judgment on what’s ok.

49 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

The current case numbers flying thru the roof, and making next to no odds to hospital numbers is simply further proof that demanding vaccine status or negative tests actually doesnt keep anyonw any safer and is in fact, nonsense

It's still the case that the more people get vaccinated and the more infected people self isolate, the fewer chances for the virus to mutate into something nastier. So both vaccination and testing should continue to be encouraged.

13 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

It's still the case that the more people get vaccinated and the more infected people self isolate, the fewer chances for the virus to mutate into something nastier. So both vaccination and testing should continue to be encouraged.

But they should certainly not be mandated as a condition of entry to.... well anything really. Because the whole point of mass vaccination is that we pass a threshold of protection where the health service is not in danger. Its  not about the right of individual A to be protected from individual B, its about the health of the herd. Once again, proving you have been vaccinated does not by any logic that I can understand, increase safety for yourself or the person sat beside you. If someone wants to explain it to me im all ears, but I have been waiting a while on this. 

Also, IMO folk need to stop speaking with such authority that its inevitable this virus is going to bypass the many vaccines we have (more to come). 

It’s incredibly alarming to see how many people don’t realize that society functions on pragmatic decisions.   From an individual level right up to top level government just about everything we do is a balance.  
There has ALWAYS been an acceptable level of death.  Can we reduce road deaths dramatically by banning cars, of course but that’s insane.  We could reduce deaths slightly if we massively increased our spend on roads or reduced the speed limits but that’s not desirable.  
We can clearly do more to reduce cancer deaths,  everyone screened monthly, huge R&D spending etc.  Again there’s never been any demand for it.
The fact that every single politician knows deaths are acceptable and few of them have the balls to say it is incredible, they have meetings their entire careers where death rates are given and they make a judgment on what’s ok.

Exactly, death is a fact of life , theres also a reason we don’t treat other diseases like covid with NPI,s - because it would be ruinously expensive and painful to do so
I have a relative who is extremely vulnerable and only 30 years old. They are double vaccinated now and enjoying life but in the event that they catch covid and die as a result (unlikely but possible ) you might be tempted to think “ oh you were in such a hurry to get out of lockdown and now they’re dead” and it would be devastating if that were to happen- but, for those unlucky enough to fall into that category, it will happen to them one way or another. If not now then in 1 or 2 years time so short of total eradication ( unlikely unless we get a 2 nd gen vaccine with full sterilising immunity) then your just delaying the inevitable

1 hour ago, Tynierose said:

Just like we live with respiratory diseases, endocrinology diseases, gastrointestinal diseases etc etc etc.

People die, covid is just another one we add to the list of living with.

I’ve been saying this from the beginning.

The people that succumb to serious Covid (as sad as that is) already likely had the cards stacked against them anyway, for whatever reason that might have been. All Covid did was to further weight the deck against them. We’re all gonna go of something…

3 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

I’ve been saying this from the beginning.

The people that succumb to serious Covid (as sad as that is) already likely had the cards stacked against them anyway, for whatever reason that might have been. All Covid did was to further weight the deck against them. We’re all gonna go of something…

There will be a small number of hitherto perfectly healthy people who succumb to Covid just as there would be with flu and a variety of other conditions.

All that being the case your point remains absolutely valid.

6 hours ago, ICTChris said:

This is just crazy.

If we banned cigarettes, alcohol and pretty much all unhealthy foods, we would significantly reduce prevalence of cancer and heart disease. 

Clearly, there is rightly absolutely no appetite for any of that to happen so we are by definition ‘living with’ these diseases. 

I haven’t a clue what planet these independent sage types are on at times.

9 hours ago, Tynierose said:

I'm off for nearly three weeks after a long stint.  Looking forward to going down south.  

I can't believe you're leaving the trenches while all this bombardment is going on😡. My wean has a runny nose and this is the level of health care we get in broken Britain.

I even clapped for you and this is the thanks I get.

giphy.gif

Edited by SlipperyP

4 hours ago, SlipperyP said:

I can't believe you're leaving the trenches while all this bombardment is going on😡. My wean has a runny nose and this is the level of health care we get in broken Britain.

I even clapped for you and this is the thanks I get.

giphy.gif

😂😂

Guest Bob Mahelp
6 hours ago, PedroMoutinho said:

If we banned cigarettes, alcohol and pretty much all unhealthy foods, we would significantly reduce prevalence of cancer and heart disease. 

Clearly, there is rightly absolutely no appetite for any of that to happen so we are by definition ‘living with’ these diseases. 

I haven’t a clue what planet these independent sage types are on at times.

It's been pointed out before that these people are scientists (of some kind). They see the world in black and white. 

So when you ask them, how do we solve the problem of covid, they give a black and white answer. As some one said, they treat it as a math's problem. There's no middle ground, there's no consideration of economic issues and anything else...that's not their job to consider that.

These people have always been like that. It's just that they've been in the background and we've never had to listen to them before. Now they are there, front and centre, and people are hanging on their every word.