Friday Night Football - Thistle vs Ayr

21 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

BBC has them down for one shot on target to our two. Surely that's not right, didn't think it was that bad.

Exactly, apart from the penalty I don’t remember another Ayr chance? 🤔

Exactly, apart from the penalty I don’t remember another Ayr chance? [emoji848]

It was a dire game. I think both managers will be happy with a point.

Kerr keeps us unbeaten and McCall avoids another humiliation similar to the one at Somerset.

Ref and linesman were absolutely attrocious tonight, shat it with the cardle headlock and following two elbows on the ground which the 500+ ayr fans and seemingly everyone watching on the TV could see but not the linesman who was 3 yards away from it.

I thought a draw was a fair result tonight. Thistle probably edged it on attacking play & chances, but a point was probably about right as neither team created very much over the 90 minutes. The penalty which shouldn’t have been and Cardle escaping a red which clearly should have been a sending off balanced each other out.

Not too impressed with a few of the Jags’ new signings. O’Connor and Mackinnon have offered nothing so far and Brownlie somehow managed to be both an improvement on what we already had but not particularly good at the same time. Barjonas and Rudden didn’t get enough time to deserve a rating, but on limited viewing I’m skeptical as to what Barjonas will actually bring to the team, and he has all the makings of another failed OF player on loan. Brian Graham was very effective and I think he’ll be vital for us this season.

I still think we’ll scrape through and survive, but we really need to start picking up wins in games like this. For one of the better teams in the league I didn’t think Ayr were up to much - which is probably a reflection of this league as a whole, where outside Dundee Utd, the standard between the rest is pretty similar. In the past 18 months Ayr have comfortably outplayed us, but tonight they just looked like a dirty team who were content kicking and time-wasting to take a point back down the road. Fair play to them for achieving that on a night where they didn’t play particularly well, and I’d be very surprised if they don’t make the playoffs again.

Edited by Nightmare

Ayr were poor last night. The defence just looked nervous all night which was odd considering the 3 successive clean sheets against ICT, County and Pars. Graham seemed to unsettle them and Zanatta gave Houston a bit of a roasting in the first half. Midfield contributed very little and Drinan didn't affect the game at all.
Penalty looked soft on first viewing but replay from another angle confirmed it was the correct decision, about the only big decision he got right all night. Conversely, the Muirheid/ Cardle incident looked the correct call until you saw the replay and realised how wrong they got it. Looked a rugby tackle from Muirheid but was actually a headlock from Cardle who then elbowed him on the head twice as they lay on the ground. A ban notification from the SFA should be forthcoming but I somehow doubt it as he was shown a yellow at the time.
Ayr seem more compact under Kerr but have lost a lot of the sexy soccer sparkle from earlier in the season. Only time will tell if the more pragmatic approach is the right one but 1-0 wins at home and 1-1 draws away aren't to be sniffed at in our position.
Thistle? Much better than the last time at Somerset but that wouldn't be difficult as they were an utter shambles that day. Think Graham might be their saviour as he will always score goals in this division. If he gets injured though....