Ground improvement/works thread

18 hours ago, JuniorRaver said:

Not sure if this has been brought up in another thread, I see Ashfield are now groundsharing with Easterhouse for the rest of the season. Their pitch doesn’t meet the requirements for the first Divison. 
Very Sad to seem them move out of the old Ashfield Stadium.

Would find it difficult to believe that the speedway stadium is unsuitable but the facility at easterhouse is perfectly acceptable...

...ask any player, manager or supporter where they'd prefer to be involved in a game. If be surprised if too many opted for Stepford.

7 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

See this kind of post bugs me. Basically commenting that you know what it is but not willing to share. 

Are you willing to share your knowledge?

As far as I know the speedway wanted them out, others will probably know more than me

8 minutes ago, Arthurlie1981 said:

Was it not reported on here that the speedway needed more room and had to take more of the grass away meaning that there wasn't enough for a pitch or am I imagining that lol!!

The pitch measured with google maps is 92x46m, which is surely too narrow.

7 hours ago, Arthurlie1981 said:

Was it not reported on here that the speedway needed more room and had to take more of the grass away meaning that there wasn't enough for a pitch or am I imagining that lol!!

This rings a bell from earlier posts. Would suggest that Ashfield will not be able to return to the Speedway Park.

Will not be a simple task finding a new suitable pitch in their area. 

Is Stepford share a long term solution?

A good 8 or 9 miles south east from Hawthorn St. down to Edinburgh Road and with Easterhouse trying to build a base their will they want squatters long term.

• 2 weeks later...

OK for an amateur game according to the letter of the rules of the game maybe but a pitch with those sort of dimensions inside an even wider speedway track would be bordering on farcical for a level that's supposed to be semi-professional and charges admission. Guess you could argue it already was bordering on farcical previously though. Think a ground share at Petershill would be the obvious alternative long term. Guess there are too many tenants there for that to be doable right now though given the way Caledonian Locomotives or whatever they are called beat them to it.

7 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

OK for an amateur game according to the letter of the rules of the game maybe but a pitch with those sort of dimensions inside an even wider speedway track would be bordering on farcical for a level that's supposed to be semi-professional and charges admission. Guess you could argue it already was bordering on farcical previously though. Think a ground share at Petershill would be the obvious alternative long term. Guess there are too many tenants there for that to be doable right now though given the way Caledonian Locomotives or whatever they are called beat them to it.

Yeah seems daft that they allow so much wiggle room, I know for international matches(I assume that also Includes uefa domestic comps) there's a minimum sizing for pitches of 64m wide 100m long with a maximum of 75m and 110m.

Seems baffling you can have such disparity in the dimensions out with the international with widths of 45-90m and 90m to 120m in length.

Hypothetically you could find a case where a pitch is 90m by 90m. 

1 hour ago, RJShire said:

Yeah seems daft that they allow so much wiggle room, I know for international matches(I assume that also Includes uefa domestic comps) there's a minimum sizing for pitches of 64m wide 100m long with a maximum of 75m and 110m.

Seems baffling you can have such disparity in the dimensions out with the international with widths of 45-90m and 90m to 120m in length.

Hypothetically you could find a case where a pitch is 90m by 90m. 

Technically your not allowed a square pitch so it would need to be 90m x 89.9m

pedantry aside the joke pitch sizes need cleared out, even as a jobber amateur it was ridiculous playing on pitches where wingers can both be inside the box and out of the pitch.  

9 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

pedantry aside the joke pitch sizes need cleared out, even as a jobber amateur it was ridiculous playing on pitches where wingers can both be inside the box and out of the pitch.  

Completely disagree with this view. More custom pitch sizes (within practical reason) please at all levels - instead of the FIFA/UEFA down mandating of standardised dimensions that put diddy teams at a disadvantage.

You host the game, you can set the dimensions. 

11 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Absolutely, I get some places have size constraints. I remember something about Brechin having an issue with that, but being real in the modern era where we don't have dozens of pitches crammed into a small place there should be plenty of reasonably sized pitches. 

23 hours ago, RJShire said:

Minimum width is 45m maximum is 90, so just to standard and no more 

I'm sure the WOSFL dimensions are wider that that, can't find them online but they basically copied the EOSFL ones which are 90x56m minimum.

18 minutes ago, virginton said:

Completely disagree with this view. More custom pitch sizes (within practical reason) please at all levels - instead of the FIFA/UEFA down mandating of standardised dimensions that put diddy teams at a disadvantage.

A classic of the genre

image.png.b0a0518a052a390bb53ed098793730ea.png

30 minutes ago, virginton said:

I agree. The lost, dark art of pitch dimension shithousery needs to make a comeback.

17 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

I'm sure the WOSFL dimensions are wider that that, can't find them online but they basically copied the EOSFL ones which are 90x56m minimum.

Ah fair didn't know they had their own guidelines for minimum dimensions 

On 05/08/2023 at 09:59, Dev said:

That is something which has been posted previously on P&B, maybe this thread, not sure. If I recall correctly Glasgow Athletic already use the existing facilities and have been comparing working with Clyde and Finnart in future so that they can submit their views/preference to the Council. They might be the King Makers - and also another medium term possible WoS club.

I wonder if this is a sign that a joint Glasgow Athletic/ Clyde bid will the successful one.