What are the things you hate regarding fitba?

At the lower end of the English game, you get a lot of moaning at the ref if you get fouled and every challenge against you should be a booking.  It could just be me, but it doesn't seem as prevalent in Scotland.  Obviously, I am glad the outright thuggery in the game has been binned, but I do miss when players just got up, noted who'd fouled them and repaid the original offence.

On 30/09/2023 at 06:49, Salvo Montalbano said:

Very much an English thing. I think I've heard every English commentator, pundit, journalist, podcaster etc say it at one time of another. Sadly, it's creeping into Scottish broadcasting repertoire now, mostly since guys like Sutton, McCoist, Nevin, etc have worked in England for so long. Really pisses me off, but then English folk can't cope with the word "outwith" either so what hope have we got?

Separated by a common language and all that.  Outwith always seems to precede mention of the Old Firm.  Dropping the 'of' after plenty has caused me to re-read a few sentences, when I used to think it was a typo.  I now prefer players to go "back the way", which sounds cooler than just passing it back.

• 4 weeks later...

The creeping normalisation of using goal celebrations for a team talk, as exemplified by Arsenal against Spurs today. I think Celtic might have done it at Ibrox a few weeks ago, too. It most commonly seems to be away teams, and it is becoming a particular problem in derbies. Just run about a bit and get it up the home fans, IMO.

When a team is under pressure goalies falling down with an injury, outfield players head for a teamtalk on the sidelines, goalie eventually stands up, winces as he moves his injured body part and 30 seconds later is 100% OK.

Fans singing "f**k the SFA" or "Premier League, corrupt as f**k" when they disagree with a referee's decision. Whatever happened to "the referee's a w****r" or "you don't know what you're doing"? Why's it got to be some big conspiracy? 

59 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

Fans singing "f**k the SFA" or "Premier League, corrupt as f**k" when they disagree with a referee's decision. Whatever happened to "the referee's a w****r" or "you don't know what you're doing"? Why's it got to be some big conspiracy? 

"Who's your Father, who's your Father, who's your Father referee.

You haven't got one, you haven't got one, you're a b*****d referee".

One for the oldies there.

11 hours ago, Groundhopping Adventures said:

Trophies for finishing second 

Seeing as third place in League Two get automatic promotion, do you think they get a trophy as well?

So many things about watching games in the pub that I’m sure I’ve listed before but one is people who turn up well after kick off, Spurs game today and there was maybe 25 folk in at kick off and about 60 at half time. Pubs showing football should have a rule that you’re not allowed to watch the game if you’re not in for kick off. 

Also seen a family all decked out in Rangers gear walking through the town during the middle of their game today, if you’re a fan why aren’t you watching the game. 

6 hours ago, The Golden God said:

So many things about watching games in the pub that I’m sure I’ve listed before but one is people who turn up well after kick off, Spurs game today and there was maybe 25 folk in at kick off and about 60 at half time. Pubs showing football should have a rule that you’re not allowed to watch the game if you’re not in for kick off. 

Also seen a family all decked out in Rangers gear walking through the town during the middle of their game today, if you’re a fan why aren’t you watching the game. 

What if you say you're not in to see the game specifically,just in for a pint -can you get in after KO then?but what if, then,you cast sneaky glances at the screen?

Probably been said before but players faking injury to get another player booked/sent off. Incident in yesterday's Melbourne Victory v Melbourne City game where a player kicked out at a player on the ground. Replays show he clearly does catch him around the chest area but the player on the ground immediately holds his face then starts rolling around. Absolutely no need for the play acting/overreaction. 

Match footage

15 hours ago, highlandmac said:

What if you say you're not in to see the game specifically,just in for a pint -can you get in after KO then?but what if, then,you cast sneaky glances at the screen?

You can, 3 times a half, 2 more if it goes to ET. 

7 hours ago, The Golden God said:

You can, 3 times a half, 2 more if it goes to ET. 

Fair enough

I assume these perfectly reasonable rules are to be vigorously enforced by large,steroid pumped bouncers

On 29/04/2024 at 09:07, accies1874 said:

Hearts fans behind the goals singing this on Saturday while we were waiting for Dundee's penalty to be overturned by the SFA's VAR system seemed a bit odd.

And not reacting to the overturning with at least a slightly sarcastic  chorus of "Well done, SFA!" seems churlish

Posted (edited)

Loves stats/analysis stuff, but there's a creeping amount of people who are massively over analysing anything successful big clubs do and claiming its some incredible thing others are missing.

Like, I see this getting done at every Saints game and you see it at amateur level too, yet apparently it's a sign of an elite side and coaching.

I seen similar a few months ago when Mainoo broke through at Man U. Someone produced a 25 minute video of every instance of him looking around before he received the ball.

I think people get so obsessed with finding something to "analyse" every week.

Edited by RandomGuy.

9 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Loves stats/analysis stuff, but there's a creeping amount of people who are massively over analysing anything successful big clubs do and claiming its some incredible thing others are missing.

Like, I see this getting done at every Saints game and you see it at amateur level too, yet apparently it's a sign of an elite side and coaching.

I seen similar a few months ago when Mainoo broke through at Man U. Someone produced a 25 minute video of every instance of him looking around before he received the ball.

I think people get so obsessed with finding something to "analyse" every week.

There was one of de bryne scanning and that was why he has such good game awareness/vision, as if nobody else had thought of it.

Generally find these type of posts I find are done by those who consume football purely through tv and have finally noticed something that maybe isn't always filmed and they think it's a new innovation. 

10 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

I see Sean Dillon teaching 6 year olds that at Soccerworld on a Monday night.

2 hours ago, parsforlife said:

There was one of de bryne scanning and that was why he has such good game awareness/vision, as if nobody else had thought of it.

Generally find these type of posts I find are done by those who consume football purely through tv and have finally noticed something that maybe isn't always filmed and they think it's a new innovation. 

It was The Athletic (who else?) with an entire article about this.

Of course no other playmaking midfielder on the planet look ups to see what’s going on around them.

Some of the new stats and analysis is brilliant but so much of it is meaningless drivel as well. Over-analysed to the nth degree - a symptom of near 24 hour coverage needing to be filled with something and the average punter on an internet forum needing to make themselves feel more intelligent than everyone else by seeing something that no one else could possibly have spotted.

That’s my old man yells at cloud post done.

The offside rule, as it is now. Does it honestly matter, if someone on the far touchline has half a foot in front of the last defender when putting a cross in? It shouldn’t matter anyway but I think you should have to be in the box to be offside. 

Posted (edited)

When there's a high ball received in midfield or defence and the player heads it to an opponent rather than chest it down and play it. I know it's a lack of faith in their own technique but I always find it weirdly infuriating. Supporting a diddy means I'll see this more, obviously.

BRINGTHEBAWDOOONFURFUXAKE!!!

Edited by velo army