George Floyd/Black Lives Matter Protests

Two things that are really boiling my pis over the last couple of days:

1. The problem is systemic racism, not systematic racism.

2. No statues have been desecrated. The statues which have been targeted did not commemorate any sacred figure.

Language is important, and twisting, weaselly misuse like this in order to produce an inaccurate narrative should be called out, not repeated - endlessly, in the case of (1) above.

1 minute ago, NewBornBairn said:

Looks like that's a good thing then if it's been a factor in avoiding US-style policing and the harm that does to society.

It does look like it might have had positive effects by keeping their power in check to a degree, but i don't think that's why they're not allowed one. It's just to stop them going on strike and leaving the streets to undesirables 

7 hours ago, Steve_Wilkos said:

Just to set something straight.

I was born in Middlesbrough and now live in Stockton-on-Tees. So, I am qualified to say that Teesside is packed with beautiful architecture and even more beautiful people.

My granny lived on the Hardwick estate in Stockton, I can vouch for the people. If I had the choice of Monaco or Redcar, Redcar every time 

1 minute ago, coprolite said:

It does look like it might have had positive effects by keeping their power in check to a degree, but i don't think that's why they're not allowed one. It's just to stop them going on strike and leaving the streets to more undesirables 

15 minutes ago, Mr Waldo said:

Moronic?  India did not exist in the 18th century. It is now the largest democracy in the world. Would that have happened if it wasn't for the British Empire?  Would they have fared better under the Spanish, French or Portuguese? Or even the Mughals who were collecting taxes of over 50%?

Yes your argument is moronic. Spend less time imagining counterfactuals and pointless differences between European empires and spend a bit more time reading up on what Empire actually entailed for colonial subjects. 

India may be the biggest democracy. It's also a quasi fascist extremely racist state which Britain played a big part in shaping due to entrenching caste laws and religious conflicts.

20 minutes ago, Mr Waldo said:

Moronic?  India did not exist in the 18th century. It is now the largest democracy in the world. Would that have happened if it wasn't for the British Empire?  Would they have fared better under the Spanish, French or Portuguese? Or even the Mughals who were collecting taxes of over 50%?

I dare say the Germans or Japanese might've had it a bit better organised if they'd got a chance.

I'm looking forward to @Jacksgranda and @Mr Waldo's presentation to the remaining indigenous peoples of North America, Australia and the Andaman Islands that they're sometimes deliberate, sometimes accidental, genocides weren't so bad as at least it wasn't those pesky Japanese, or Belgians. Or Germans. Or any of those foreign fuds. Start colonising again I say

2 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

I'm looking forward to @Jacksgranda and @Mr Waldo's presentation to the remaining indigenous peoples of North America, Australia and the Andaman Islands that they're sometimes deliberate, sometimes accidental, genocides weren't so bad as at least it wasn't those pesky Japanese, or Belgians. Or Germans. Or any of those foreign fuds. Start colonising again I say

Cheryl Cole Okay GIF - CherylCole Okay Awkward GIFs

1 hour ago, Jacksgranda said:

I don't think the Dutch and Germans covered themselves in glory, either.

1 hour ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I dare say the Germans or Japanese might've had it a bit better organised if they'd got a chance.

The Germans were shit at having an empire. Look at this:

86608b.jpg.3d3fafc7cf75b4aba957efabefa2f5ea.jpg

Pathetic. And most of Namibia is an empty desert. 

..and are still doing it, and we* are not in the slightest bit bothered about it. Oh, we'll wring our hands and occasionally go full Lovejoy, but little real action is ever taken - possibly because a lot of modern slavery is state-sanctioned or even state-operated.
 Never mind the fruit-picking crisis, it will be interesting next year when our youngsters have to step up and fill the prostitute shortage when we crash out of Europe.
*UK Government, not YT personally.
Very true, slavery is very much alive and well in the UK and worldwide today yet it has not been mentioned once in the MSM or by anyone representing the BLM movement. It is something that they should genuinely be using to bring the cause into the 21st century. The trafficking of girls all over the world is clearly modern day slavery (and it happens in other areas to men too, enforced labour cases come to court frequently) yet it never seems to even register in the minds of those protesting today. You can't rewrite history as we keep hearing but they could use their energy more wisely in stopping slavery in the here and now.

7 minutes ago, coprolite said:

The Germans were shit at having an empire. Look at this:

86608b.jpg.3d3fafc7cf75b4aba957efabefa2f5ea.jpg

Pathetic. And most of Namibia is an empty desert. 

As a lot of the locals found out when they were driven into it.

Some posts on here reminding me of an occasion in St Andrews when I was idly watching golfers teeing off on the 1st tee at the Old Course.

A party of 4 Americans (all complete hackers) had just gone off, each of them accompanied with a caddy. A couple of Glasgow boys came on to the tee, and surveyed the scene ahead.

"What have we got here, said one, "Is this an 8 ball?"  I was able to explain it was 4 Americans and 4 caddys.

"FFS, said the other, do these c***s not realise that slavery's been abolished in this country now?"

It's all kicking off in Inverness, a pensioner was spotted ripping down one of these placards, and there's a big rammy about whether the Council should remove them. I fear for the Flora MacDonald statue, she was notoriously silent on the slavery issue.

NJO73I3WDHLXIU1JPJYE.jpg

1.jpg