WoSFL Premier Division thread

11 minutes ago, Casper Wilson said:

How many Premier Division clubs have a licence?

I have it as 7.

Eight :-

Clydebank, Auchinleck Talbot, Pollok, Cumnock Juniors, Darvel, Benburb, Glenafton Athletic, Irvine Meadow XI.

There's a lot of knicker twisting on this. Don't see the issue personally. If the licensed clubs are good enough they will go up, if they're not they won't. It's not like this pyramid is functional further up. The whole thing is a bag o' washing,

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, glensmad said:

It's not so easily remedied as you may think, it would require the agreement of the other three leagues for the wording of the agreement to be changed. I'm not convinced the winners of the EoSFL and SoSFL would be happy for their champions to potentially miss out on promotion to a team who hadn't actually won the WoSFL.

I don’t think they’d be as against as you seem to think.

We won’t know if the question isn’t asked!

Edited by Vanderbilt

Just now, Vanderbilt said:

I don’t think they’d be as against as you seem to think.

A lot of discussions would need to take place, for example for just one of the four leagues to agree to that change then they'd presumably need to consult with their member clubs and get a mandate from them to agree to the change. The same would have to happen in all four leagues.

20 minutes ago, glensmad said:

Eight :-

Clydebank, Auchinleck Talbot, Pollok, Cumnock Juniors, Darvel, Benburb, Glenafton Athletic, Irvine Meadow XI.

I know Glenafton have their lights in place but dont think they have a Licence yet?

Meanwhile in the Championship, League one and League 2 a team that finishes 4th can theoretically leapfrog a team that finishes 20 points ahead of them in second via a playoff with little or no complaints from anyone. The reason it's not an issue is that ultimately it's decided on the field of play rather than the admin department. Folk really need to re-evaluate their priorities if they favour teams getting a free pass because "paperwork".

7 minutes ago, Lynchmob11 said:

I know Glenafton have their lights in place but dont think they have a Licence yet?

Glenafton got their licence last year, they played in The Scottish Cup this season (losing to Darvel in the 2nd Preliminary Round).

10 minutes ago, Shanner said:

Meanwhile in the Championship, League one and League 2 a team that finishes 4th can theoretically leapfrog a team that finishes 20 points ahead of them in second via a playoff with little or no complaints from anyone. The reason it's not an issue is that ultimately it's decided on the field of play rather than the admin department. Folk really need to re-evaluate their priorities if they favour teams getting a free pass because "paperwork".

I know it’s not the case with Beith but you could have a club spending loads to win a league year after year playing in an absolute tip.

2 minutes ago, Vanderbilt said:

I know it’s not the case with Beith but you could have a club spending loads to win a league year after year playing in an absolute tip.

But we don't.

4 minutes ago, Vanderbilt said:

Why not ask your club to propose at the West AGM what you are suggesting? AFAIK nobody has proposed that. We all talk on here about making changes but (at a guess) a large number of us are members of our clubs and can influence change. 

15 minutes ago, Arthurlie1981 said:

Why not ask your club to propose at the West AGM what you are suggesting? AFAIK nobody has proposed that. We all talk on here about making changes but (at a guess) a large number of us are members of our clubs and can influence change. 

Spot on, it's a member-owned and a member-run league.

Although it would be too late this year for any further Constitutional amendment proposals, the deadline was 15th April.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, glensmad said:

The WoSFL has licensed clubs in all five of its Divisions, with 50% of the current Premier Division teams already licensed. I wonder what percentage of the EoSFL and the SoSFL were licensed only four years on from that possibility opening up to them ? I genuinely don't know the answer to that.

2014-15 seems to have been the first year of possible promotion to the LL, bold = licensed.

LTHV / Wigtown & Bladnoch

Leith Athletic / St Cuthbert Wanderers

LTHV / Edusport Academy

Kelty Hearts v Threave Rovers

Bonnyrigg Rose / Stranraer Reserves

Bo'ness United (Threave, SoS null & void)

null & void

Tranent Juniors v St Cuthbert Wanderers v Darvel

Linlithgow Rose / Abbey Vale / Beith Juniors

Broxburn Athletic v Dalbeattie or Creetown / Beith?

We're now at the point where basically six of the best SJFA East Superleague teams have gone up* to the LL and made it stronger, while making the EOS weaker each season, so more likely that when a licensed WOS champion appears they'll go up in a play-off. Beith with planning permission for floodlights surely will have everything sorted for this time next year.

The main issue is that the EOS and WOS champions should be automatically promoted (SOS can choose what they want to do). This needs to be on the table once again for the LL AGM etc and hopefully voted in by clubs who should be more favourable to more ventilation.

Edited by Ginaro

12 minutes ago, glensmad said:

Spot on, it's a member-owned and a member-run league.

Although it would be too late this year for any further Constitutional amendment proposals, the deadline was 15th April.

From what I’ve been told it’s the LL who run the play offs?

It would need to be them that instigated it?

1 hour ago, Vanderbilt said:

Easily remedied by making it candidate club which would be the highest placed licensed club.

The fair way would be three up and three down from the lowland into each of the three regional leagues. Don’t know how I feel about the highest placed licensed team as in theory a team could be promoted finishing 7th or 8th. Think it has to be the Champions with an expectation on license for the league at some point (I mean very long term).

12 minutes ago, Vanderbilt said:

From what I’ve been told it’s the LL who run the play offs?

It would need to be them that instigated it?

The LL may run the event itself, but the agreement about who enters the play-offs is a 4-legue agreement which also required approval by the Scottish FA.

8 minutes ago, PollokGang said:

The fair way would be three up and three down from the lowland into each of the three regional leagues. Don’t know how I feel about the highest placed licensed team as in theory a team could be promoted finishing 7th or 8th. Think it has to be the Champions with an expectation on license for the league at some point (I mean very long term).

So, as the Lowland League table finished this season, you would relegate Broomhill into the WoSFL, who finished 4th bottom, 7 points ahead of 3rd bottom Gala Fairydean Rovers, with Gala staying in the Lowland League because Girvan finished 2nd bottom ?

Somehow I can't see that being acceptable to the Lowland League clubs.

38 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

2014-15 seems to have been the first year of possible promotion to the LL, bold = licensed.

LTHV / Wigtown & Bladnoch

Leith Athletic / St Cuthbert Wanderers

LTHV / Edusport Academy

Kelty Hearts v Threave Rovers

Bonnyrigg Rose / Stranraer Reserves

Bo'ness United (Threave, SoS null & void)

null & void

Tranent Juniors v St Cuthbert Wanderers v Darvel

Linlithgow Rose / Abbey Vale / Beith Juniors

Broxburn Athletic v Dalbeattie or Creetown / Beith?

We're now at the point where basically six of the best SJFA East Superleague teams have gone up* to the LL and made it stronger, while making the EOS weaker each season, so more likely that when a licensed WOS champion appears they'll go up in a play-off. Beith with planning permission for floodlights surely will have everything sorted for this time next year.

The main issue is that the EOS and WOS champions should be automatically promoted (SOS can choose what they want to do). This needs to be on the table once again for the LL AGM etc and hopefully voted in by clubs who should be more favourable to more ventilation.

So had Stranraer Reserves won a play off they'd been in the LL?

Wonder what the pyramid ultras would have made of that.

57 minutes ago, PollokGang said:

In theory schmeory. Don't think it has happened that the second placed team at the end of the league hasn't been licensed and that will more than likely be the case this season too so that's a moot point. 

Having said that, your first sentence is the only way it should be with the HL and LL champs going straight in League 2. That's about as much chance of happening as me winning the Predictor League.