Scottish Infrastructure

jamamafegan

On 15/06/2024 at 11:51, Enigma said:

It’s a non-starter for a couple of reasons unfortunately, capacity on the main line is one, demolishing and rebuilding a section of the A1 another. Limited political will for it too, according to Iain Gray when somebody I know spoke to him about it.

Yeah the capacity on the ECML is the big one. A recent study talked about building a station on the north side of the A1 from Haddington rather than trying to bring it into the town and / or remodel the A1 as that would be far easier and cheaper.

On 15/06/2024 at 12:05, Mark Connolly said:

Bit of a detour to run it through Haddington though

badumtish.gif

15 minutes ago, RiG said:

Yeah the capacity on the ECML is the big one. A recent study talked about building a station on the north side of the A1 from Haddington rather than trying to bring it into the town and / or remodel the A1 as that would be far easier and cheaper.

I’m sure the cited capacity issues on the ECML are as much to do with the limitations imposed by the bottleneck that results from the Carlton Tunnel as much as just the amount of trains running on that section of line, at least that what somebody who seemed in the know told me.

You end up the problem that if you could build on the north side of Haddington of what kind of service would the station actually end up with, and if you’re building out of town anyway what benefit are you actually deriving from the costs of doing so when Longniddry and Drem stations are only a 10 minute drive away anyway.

Edited by Enigma

1 hour ago, Enigma said:

I’m sure the cited capacity issues on the ECML are as much to do with the limitations imposed by the bottleneck that results from the Carlton Tunnel as much as just the amount of trains running on that section of line, at least that what somebody who seemed in the know told me.

You end up the problem that if you could build on the north side of Haddington of what kind of service would the station actually end up with, and if you’re building out of town anyway what benefit are you actually deriving from the costs of doing so when Longniddry and Drem stations are only a 10 minute drive away anyway.

Would I be right in saying most of the route of the old longniddry to Haddington line is built over these days anyway??

23 minutes ago, philpy said:

Would I be right in saying most of the route of the old longniddry to Haddington line is built over these days anyway??

Between the original station and the A1 it has been built over, from the A1 to Longniddry it is a cycle path.

1 hour ago, philpy said:

It would probably make more sense to do a line south of the road and meet up around Wallyford

It would cost more but it would let you connect both Tranent and Haddington. 

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

3 hours ago, Enigma said:

I’m sure the cited capacity issues on the ECML are as much to do with the limitations imposed by the bottleneck that results from the Calton Tunnel as much as just the amount of trains running on that section of line, at least that what somebody who seemed in the know told me.

While Cyclists blame drivers and drivers blame cyclists, pedestrians grumble about both and everybody blames the council there's an underlying truth that many of the transport problems in Edinburgh are simply down to there being massive lumps of basalt getting in the way all over the centre of town

4 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

While Cyclists blame drivers and drivers blame cyclists, pedestrians grumble about both and everybody blames the council there's an underlying truth that many of the transport problems in Edinburgh are simply down to there being massive lumps of basalt getting in the way all over the centre of town

So that would be the original city council planners that decided ' this will be a good place to build, those extinct volcanoes are barely noticeable'.

On 14/06/2024 at 11:17, RiffRaff said:

I think that they looked into this a wee while ago but there wasn't enough capacity on the East Coast Mainline to accomodate any more trains.

20 trains a day from Drem to Waverley already would suggest that might be right.

17 hours ago, Enigma said:

Portobello Jn is also an issue. When they electrified the ECML they reduced the number of tracks at Carlton tunnel. Dunbar was an issue until the new platform was put in as Northbound trains impacted southbound ones. The big problem is they can't run any more eclectic train on the ECML north of Berwick as the feeder station at Portobello is working at 125% capacity at the moment 

Actually looking properly (probably taking a throwaway comment too seriously!) but it might be better to link up the new Borders line at Newcraighall or Hardengreen to the (very) old Macmerry/Pentcaitland line into Haddington.

17 minutes ago, Spyro said:

Actually looking properly (probably taking a throwaway comment too seriously!) but it might be better to link up the new Borders line at Newcraighall or Hardengreen to the (very) old Macmerry/Pentcaitland line into Haddington.

zero spare capacity on the Borders line 

21 minutes ago, ajwffc said:

zero spare capacity on the Borders line 

Is it that busy already? I assume the things I have read about continuing to further south is out the question as it stands too?

Although, totally forgot it also uses the busy part of the East Coast Mainline as well! 

Edited by Spyro

39 minutes ago, Spyro said:

Is it that busy already? I assume the things I have read about continuing to further south is out the question as it stands too?

Although, totally forgot it also uses the busy part of the East Coast Mainline as well! 

the way it was built (was scaled back a lot in the end) means it is just able to cope with the current service 

10 hours ago, ajwffc said:

Portobello Jn is also an issue. When they electrified the ECML they reduced the number of tracks at Carlton tunnel. Dunbar was an issue until the new platform was put in as Northbound trains impacted southbound ones. The big problem is they can't run any more eclectic train on the ECML north of Berwick as the feeder station at Portobello is working at 125% capacity at the moment 

What was the thinking behind that? I often wondered if they reduced the number of tracks after the line to Easter Road / Abbeyhill was shut.

Edited by RiG

10 minutes ago, Soapy FFC said:

From the park and ride at Edinburgh airport to the city on the tram it's £2. From the actual airport to the city it's £7.50. £5.50 extra for one stop. It's criminal. 

Did the 36 or one of the regular service buses not got the airport before? At least it gave people with a bit of local knowledge the chance to use a normal priced service. Noticed that's stopped now and it's only the Airlink rip-off merchants or the trams that go there now. Poor show 

13 minutes ago, Soapy FFC said:

From the park and ride at Edinburgh airport to the city on the tram it's £2. From the actual airport to the city it's £7.50. £5.50 extra for one stop. It's criminal. 

Airport Public Transport Tax applies for both trams & buses.

Edinburgh Airport is now owned by Blackrock after they bought Global Infrastructure Partners for approx. £10 billion.

I'd imagine Larry Fink knows how to maximise profits.