Scottish Infrastructure

jamamafegan

On 16/02/2023 at 14:10, topcat(The most tip top) said:

As someone who has to go to Bloody West Cornwall later in the year I can assure you that the A30 (England's A9) isn't much better.

England Runs out of motorway at Exeter and the dualling on the A30 doesn't go far beyond Devon

There are twice as many people in Cornwall as in the Highlands

@welshbairncan probably report on whatever the Welsh equivelant is

About 20 years ago I drove down to Exeter to stay with relatives, the 440 miles or so took me about 6 hours on a Sunday.

Later that week my uncle was on a job in Newquay and had forgotten to take some stuff with him, I took it down for him, took me over 2 hours to do the 80 miles from Exeter to Newquay. Caravans should be banned in daylight hours.

5 hours ago, Wee Bully said:

Even in England, very busy roads are a mixture of dual and single carriageway - the A66 from Penrith to Scotch Corner is a nightmare.

The A69 (steady, Kenneth) is single carriageway for 2/3rds of the length, normally full of lorries, which then inevitably try to overtake each other in the short dualled sections

1 minute ago, peasy23 said:

About 20 years ago I drove down to Exeter to stay with relatives, the 440 miles or so took me about 6 hours on a Sunday.

Having lived down south and commuted for years up and down on a regular basis a journey time of 6 hours is quite incredible especially given the various hot spots along that route👏 

Sundays heading south are often as busy as Fridays heading north!

Glad I don’t do those journeys any more as they literally knocked years off my life. 

35 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Later that week my uncle was on a job in Newquay and had forgotten to take some stuff with him, I took it down for him, took me over 2 hours to do the 80 miles from Exeter to Newquay. Caravans should be banned in daylight hours.

In the late 80’s I drove from Paisley to Plymouth on the September weekend Friday, left at 7am and was in Plymouth by 2pm without rushing. Last year headed down to South Wales and it took nearly 8 hours. Constant 50mph zones for miles with no apparent signs of ongoing work and most definitely a heck of a lot more traffic 😕

37 minutes ago, Molotov said:

Having lived down south and commuted for years up and down on a regular basis a journey time of 6 hours is quite incredible especially given the various hot spots along that route👏 

Glad I don’t do those journeys any more as they literally knocked years off my life. 

Made a point of leaving at the crack of dawn, was on the road before 6 am. Haven't driven it for a long time but it was always trying to time it to hit the bits passing Preston and Birmingham at the right times.

Edited by peasy23

5 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Caravans should be banned in daylight hours.

FIFY. The reality of all the morons driving underpowered vehicles, trying tow oversized caravans for their vehicles, and completely failing to allow people past, argues for simply setting up caravans to let in campgrounds all over and mooring the damn things there. Then sell memberships to all the idiots.

6 hours ago, TxRover said:

FIFY. The reality of all the morons driving underpowered vehicles, trying tow oversized caravans for their vehicles, and completely failing to allow people past, argues for simply setting up caravans to let in campgrounds all over and mooring the damn things there. Then sell memberships to all the idiots.

It’s been done M8…

AC583148-E1CB-4A10-A1CF-FD8937DB3F13.jpeg

20 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I was just reading about this and the Transport Ministry says it hasn't cost a penny because none of the trains have been built yet. I'm not getting the fuss.

https://www.mitma.gob.es/el-ministerio/sala-de-prensa/noticias/lun-20022023-0820

I'm smelling BS with that statement - w.t.f. have they been doing for 3+ years if they haven't got to the manufacturing stage yet?  And, how about all the money spent on design etc etc - I doubt a wee rub (ooer Kenneth) with an eraser will fix the issue.  

6 hours ago, hk blues said:

I'm smelling BS with that statement - w.t.f. have they been doing for 3+ years if they haven't got to the manufacturing stage yet?  And, how about all the money spent on design etc etc - I doubt a wee rub (ooer Kenneth) with an eraser will fix the issue.  

They say the discrepancy was discovered a couple of years ago when they were just starting on the designs. I suppose they were trying to find a solution where they could still use that manufacturer who's set up for standardised carriage widths, but failed so they've now had to explain why they're putting it out to tender again. All very embarrassing but not the catastrophe that's been gleefully put out. At least the locals are now getting free train passes until the new rolling stock arrives.

Edited by welshbairn

5 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

They say the discrepancy was discovered a couple of years ago when they were just starting on the designs. I suppose they were trying to find a solution where they could still use that manufacturer who's set up for standardised carriage widths, but failed so they've now had to explain why they're putting it out to tender again. All very embarrassing but not the catastrophe that's been gleefully put out. At least the locals are now getting free trains until the new rolling stock arrives.

Looks like someone did some sums wrong, they found it and faffed about trying to find a way around it and are now going to build the new Rolling stock to the dimensions of the old stock that worked rather than some spec. Kudos to the contracted company who figured the numbers were wrong rather than saying f**k it, taking the money and building them anyway.

“The production of multiple-units for use on metre-gauge lines in northern Spain has been delayed by confusion about infrastructure clearances on the routes and legal technicalities around the design of new rolling stock.

On January 23 Euskotren unveiled the first of four Class 940 electric multiple-units ordered from CAF in 2021. The event attracted attention in Galicia, Cantabria, Asturias, Castilla y León, Murcia and Madrid, as the Euskotren order had been placed the year after national operator RENFE awarded CAF a €258m contract in June 2020 to supply a total of 37 electric and electro-diesel multiple-units for operation on narrow gauge routes in these areas.

At the time it was anticipated that the first would be delivered in October 2024, but the project has run into problems.

In 2020 infrastructure manager ADIF supplied CAF with details of clearances on the ex-FEVE narrow gauge network, which were believed to comply with the GEE10 and GED10 standards as published in its 2019 Network Statement.

Spanish rules require new trains to be built according to the infrastructure documentation, but soon after winning the contract, CAF, which had built DMUs for FEVE in the late 2000s, informed RENFE that there was a possibility that the infrastructure did not in fact comply with the published specifications.

The metre gauge lines were originally developed in the late 19th and early 20th centuries by numerous private companies each with their own standards. As a result the lines have limited clearances, particularly where the track is canted, and very restricted side clearances in the many tunnels, some of which are on tight curves.

Over the past 2½ years the manufacturer, safety authority AESF, ADIF and RENFE have been considering potential solutions to the problems this causes. Modifying the infrastructure at locations with inadequate clearances would involve considerable time and expense, as well as service disruption, while redesigning the rolling stock to conform with the real clearances would be legally complex and mean a considerable reduction in spaciousness, comfort and potentially capacity.

On February 3 the four bodies reached an agreement which would allow the design of the new trains to be based on those currently in use on the ex-FEVE network – classes Class 2700 and 2900 – rather than the theoretical specifications. However, this will require modifying the contract, and approval of the new trains will involve a complex regulatory process. ADIF must also supply details of the infrastructure on the lines to be used by the new trains, and agree not to modify the critical areas.

As a result, delivery of the trains is now expected to be delayed by as much as three years.

Visiting Castro Urdiales in Cantabria on February 4, Transport Minister Raquel Sánchez said design work for the new trains would now be completed by summer 2023, and manufacturing would follow. The ministry would invite the provincial governments to participate in monitoring progress with the project, and an internal audit of RENFE and ADIF is to be undertaken to determine when and how the transfer of erroneous data to CAF took place.”

19 hours ago, Hampden Diehard said:

After 8pm, the half hourly service between Glasgow and the sixth largest town in Scotland (EK) has recently dropped from half hourly to hourly. Loada shite.

Been like that since first lockdown.  Wish East Kilbride had a rail link East to Hamilton/Motherwell  to link across to the East/England. 

2 hours ago, Ekhibee88 said:

Been like that since first lockdown.  Wish East Kilbride had a rail link East to Hamilton/Motherwell  to link across to the East/England. 

There used to be one via High Blantyre but it closed way back when EK was just a wee village & trackbed was built on long ago.

23 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

The A69 (steady, Kenneth) is single carriageway for 2/3rds of the length, normally full of lorries, which then inevitably try to overtake each other in the short dualled sections

Pain in the tits. I do it every week, got caught today behind a tractor for fuckin ages 

On 21/02/2023 at 20:00, Molotov said:

sorry to hear this.......just intrigued how you know this to be the case

On 21/02/2023 at 21:15, Hampden Diehard said:

After 8pm, the half hourly service between Glasgow and the sixth largest town in Scotland (EK) has recently dropped from half hourly to hourly. Loada shite.

I noticed that the Edinburgh - Glasgow trains via Falkirk High are still only running at 30 minute intervals and take over 50 minutes to get there. Looks like the EGIP was £800 million well spent. 

5 hours ago, RiG said:

I noticed that the Edinburgh - Glasgow trains via Falkirk High are still only running at 30 minute intervals and take over 50 minutes to get there. Looks like the EGIP was £800 million well spent. 

Wasn’t much of it about building gateway,rebuilding haymarket and Queen Street and extending platforms to allow increased capacity by running longer trains instead of trying to squeeze more trains into the schedule 

As well as electrification 

And they are actually back to running 15 minutes at peak time

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

18 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Wasn’t much of it about building gateway,rebuilding haymarket and Queen Street and extending platforms to allow increased capacity by running longer trains instead of trying to squeeze more trains into the schedule 

As well as electrification 

And they are actually running 15 minutes at busy times 

Yeah a chunk of it will have been for Queen Street and Haymarket. Not sure if Gateway was part of it as well? Haymarket redesign has been good but QS seems a bit of an empty husk. Were there not meant to be more facilities being put in? 

Hadn't realised that trains were back to 15 minutes at busier times so happy to be corrected on that.