Slovakia v Scotland - 15/11

TheScarf

Just now, Gordopolis said:
Just now, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:
How McBurnie was given the whole second half is beyond me.
That was a compassionate decision, not a footballing decision. He literally did nothing at all for 45 minutes.

It seemed obvious to me that Clarke is trying to break McBurnie's duck and get him past this sticking point in his Scotland career. I commend the approach but we shouldn't be jeopardising competitive results to do so. I realise there are virtually no friendlies either, so it makes you wonder where SC will go with McBurnie from this point on

Get him in the bin, like should have happened already.

There will be guys on here still saying hes going to come good. They just can't admit they were wrong.

Just now, Ginaro said:

It's impossible to finish level with Israel. Either we go there needing to better the Czech result in the final game, get a draw or we'll have already won the group.

Yes, you're correct, sorry. Was looking at it earlier and trying to work out whether a draw would be a decent result for us. We obviously didn't get the draw though...

The only people who said they got pished are fans, btw. There's no suggestion from anyone inside the camp that that happened. Do you really think Steve Clarke would have allowed it? He said it broke up fairly early and naturally.
Tbf, a glance at the conga vid and the amount of booze on the tables suggests they were a wee bit more than "tipsy"
The players also spoke of 3 hours sleep, 4 at best

Guest Bob Mahelp

We are a bit worryingly light up front without Dykes. 

It's fairly obvious that many of our goals are going to come from Christie, McGinn, Fraser etc., and we need a forward to link up and bring them into the game. Dykes is that man, but it's not McBurnie's strength and it's certainly not Griffiths'.

We have a decent framework in place and a system that looks like it will work. We just need to work out the striker issue. 

Criticism of McBurnie might seem too easy, but it’s totally justified: he doesn’t keep the ball, he doesn’t win free-kicks when he loses it, and he doesn’t score goals... That’s literally the job description for his role, so there’s no point in persisting with him.

Edited by The Ghost of B A R P

1 minute ago, No_Problemo said:

What exactly is the relevance of this... Slovakia made four changes. 

Slovakia also played a 120 minute play off at the same time as us. They also won so had the same right to celebrate.

You’re saying 8 changes were essential after our match on Thursday. 

4 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

Instrumental. Not a chance. Just because he’s standing there when anyone else would have done the same thing.

He played an excellent pass to Griffiths and then won a good flick on just before the chance right at the end.

The consensus is that we played very well, especially first half. If you’re saying that was in spite of McBurnie, then I’m saying you’re being overly critical and/or don’t know what you’re talking about.

The misses were terrible, but he did fine apart from that. He’s not as good as Dykes, but he’s clearly better than Shankland, Burke and the obviously unfit Griffiths that we currently have.

Just because you keep saying "they didn't take it seriously" doesn't make it so.
You can look at the lineup in advance and make your mind up what the performance will be like, not letting petty things such as the actual match get in the way of your blinkered viewpoint.
Or you can watch the game, see that we outplayed the sort of team we often struggle against, away from home, and that we clearly took the game very seriously.
I'll go with the latter option.

No argument we played well in patches. That’s a good sign.
However we should be looking for a settled team now. Clarke’s done an amazing job but it looks like he’s worked it out so surely we should be tweaking, not sending out an effective second string.
And,as I ha e said earlier,Slovakia are horseshit. It will be tougher in Israel...

Just now, PauloPerth said:

Slovakia also played a 120 minute play off at the same time as us. They also won so had the same right to celebrate.

I suspect that Slovakia probably didn't cut loose as much as Scotland. They qualified for the last Euros. 

Although the team was changed a lot, those picked played really well. We created more than we have in a long time and apart from their goal (which was a bit unlucky with the deflection). 

I think the main things for me was that Clarke probably should have changed things earlier, we don’t have a replacement for Dykes if he’s not available, and McBurnie is not good enough. 

1 minute ago, PauloPerth said:

It’s utterly irrelevant - we played very well. The only change that might have cost us this game was Dykes and he was suspended. 

Thought we played well and were extremely unlucky not to get anything from that game. But for a couple of very good saves from their keeper we could’ve left with three points, let alone one.Thought Christie and Tierney were both exceptional; full of energy and controlled the game really. McGinn struggled a bit I thought today, the game passed him by and he couldn’t really get a grip of the game. I’ve also been an advocate for McBurnie but I think if he keeps getting selected for the team then he must have something on Clarke because he really doesn’t bring much to this team. Commentators keep saying it’s down to confidence but I just think he doesn’t know what to do when he gets in front of goal. Let’s not forget, Slovakia are a decent side and that was a decent goal they scored. Might’ve taken a nick but it was good build up play prior. All in all positives to take but still plenty to learn before the Euros.

1 minute ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

He played an excellent pass to Griffiths and then won a good flick on just before the chance right at the end.

The consensus is that we played very well, especially first half. If you’re saying that was in spite of McBurnie, then I’m saying you’re being overly critical and/or don’t know what you’re talking about.

The misses were terrible, but he did fine apart from that. He’s not as good as Dykes, but he’s clearly better than Shankland, Burke and the obviously unfit Griffiths that we currently have.

Yeah agree with that. A100% sharp Griffiths will give us more but it would still require a system change to get him in the team. 

2 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

No argument we played well in patches. That’s a good sign.
However we should be looking for a settled team now. Clarke’s done an amazing job but it looks like he’s worked it out so surely we should be tweaking, not sending out an effective second string.
And,as I ha e said earlier,Slovakia are horseshit. It will be tougher in Israel...

It will be tougher in Israel, but it will be a stronger Scotland team?

9 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

We need to the be the highest ranked League B team. We may have just thrown that away.

Exactly. if we had taken care of business in these final two games a playoff spot was almost guaranteed.

Now even if we win Group B we are going to be sweating at Wales/Austria/Russia results hoping they are going to finish in the top 2 in their WC groups.

Edited by Jim McLean's Ghost