Diego Mara-goner

4 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

Just finished watching it. Cracking documentary and the fall from grace with Italian fans at Italia '90 was pretty stark. I'm surprised he lasted in Naples as long as he did, his life there looked absolutely suffocating in many respects, although I imagine having access to a limitless supply of top-notch ching and hookers slightly made up for that. 

The match highlights are absolutely fucking glorious. Some of his touches, feints, assists and goals are just ridiculous considering Serie A was supposed to be a bastion of defensive football. 

That’s the thing for me - he was playing in the best league in the world for a team that did nothing for years and dragged them to the top. Although they had great players - Careca was amazing and my 2nd favourite player at WC 86. He analysed the way they played and subtly changed his game to succeed, along with the personal trainer stuff.

As you say, Naples was obviously so suffocating and no surprise he went off the rails. The Napoli chairman was clearly a head case though. Loved the songs in the dressing room.

2 minutes ago, Snobot said:

That’s the thing for me - he was playing in the best league in the world for a team that did nothing for years and dragged them to the top. Although they had great players - Careca was amazing and my 2nd favourite player at WC 86. He analysed the way they played and subtly changed his game to succeed, along with the personal trainer stuff.

As you say, Naples was obviously so suffocating and no surprise he went off the rails. The Napoli chairman was clearly a head case though. Loved the songs in the dressing room.

The Juve fans' songs were pretty harsh as well 😂 

The satisfaction levels of Napoli fans in seeing Maradona lead their side in handing out various drubbings to the northern powerhouse clubs, often in their own grounds must have been off the scale. There's plenty of highly enjoyable youTube footage of them repeatedly bitching Juventus. 

Careca was a fantastic striker although WC86 was pretty much the end of Brazil's "samba" style football. Zico and Socrates and a handful of other remnants from '82 played but were fading badly and carthorses like Walter Casagrande were coming into the side. By 1990 they were fucking awful to watch. 

1 hour ago, Gaz said:

Here's a scenario for the 'Messi has to win a World Cup' crowd:

1) It's the WC2022 final. It's Argentina versus, say, Italy. The match finishes and goes to penalties. Messi scores his penalty. His teammates perform poorer and Italy win.

2) It's the WC2022 final. It's Argentina versus, say, Italy. The match finishes and goes to penalties. Messi scores his penalty. Italy perform poorer and Argentina win.

Is Messi thought of differently in Scenario 2 than Scenario 1? If not, why not?

I'd say a more pertinent argument in the Messi/Ronaldo haven't won World Cups debate is just about the importance of international football generally.

On one level I understand the whole pinnacle of football, performing on a big stage under pressure argument with World Cups, but at the same time you're effectively saying you'll define a player's career on around 15-20 games they may play at World Cups in their careers regardless of what they do in however many hundred games they play in their club careers.

I guess this also goes back to differences in football now and 30 years ago in that everyone can watch Messi and Ronaldo every week whereas most people only got to watch Maradona live internationally, which again has arguments that split both ways - on one hand some people watch Messi and Ronaldo every week and build up a ridiculous attachment becoming complete fanboys rather than just watching them and judging them impartially, whereas people could only come to think Maradona was that good because they saw how good he was in their relatively rare glimpses of him.

The flipside of that is being able to watch any major league as often as we want means we'll inevitably see games where Messi and Ronaldo aren't at their best and that makes them seem more ordinary, whereas only watching Maradona for 90 minutes in a World Cup gives him some almost mythical status and you don't have a frame of reference for the run of the mill games he's marked out of and fails to make an impact, which clearly happened since he didn't have close to as good a goalscoring record as Messi or Ronaldo.

For me while Messi and Ronaldo have shown an unbelievable consistency over a significant period of time I still lean towards Maradona.

While Maradona didn't have that sustained period of dominance imo neither of them can match him ability wise. Especially when you factor in what was happening to him on and off the pitch (A lot self inflicted I know). His life in Napoli was fucking mental and think most people would struggle to handle that for a week never mind 6/7 years.

5 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:
On 28/11/2020 at 11:18, Mr. Alli said:
I see two of the three funeral workers who took selfies with the body are now dead too. The other is critical. 

Clearly a load of fake media pish

Certainly looks that way. I had seen that the video was from Argentina in March of the body in the dumpster. 

5 hours ago, Tony Ferrino said:

Is that the same as C4 + zero?

No calories, I think. 

Had a dream I wheelied the full length of the Perth road sooking a lollipop.

Upon investigation it would seem a wheelying dream is similar to flying dream, could suggest a feeling of freedom.

As for the lollipop - f**k knows.

1 hour ago, RawB93 said:

Had a dream I wheelied the full length of the Perth road sooking a lollipop.

Upon investigation it would seem a wheelying dream is similar to flying dream, could suggest a feeling of freedom.

As for the lollipop - f**k knows.

Erm, wrong thread?