Diego Mara-goner

1 hour ago, NotThePars said:

Hearing a lot of ifs and buts for Messi but not seeing any World Cups or Copa Americas for Messi.

Haven’t really thought about it in too much detail but the no Copa Americas is a good anti Messi point (still the best footballer I’ve seen though).

On another point, the absolute state of some of the gate keepers on here saying what should and shouldn’t be said on a General Nonsense thread. 

1 hour ago, The Holiday Song said:

On another point, the absolute state of some of the gate keepers on here saying what should and shouldn’t be said on a General Nonsense thread. 

Oh good. Can I mention the Typhoid epidemic in Aberdeen back in 1964 caused by contaminated corned beef from Argentina?

Not sure if it is appropriate or relevant. 🙂

1 hour ago, The Holiday Song said:

Haven’t really thought about it in too much detail but the no Copa Americas is a good anti Messi point (still the best footballer I’ve seen though).

Think Maradona would appreciate a thread about him on a British forum descending into aggressive retreads of the Falklands TBH

This is my pet hate with these sort of debates. The people who clearly have a particular favourite of Messi or Ronaldo constantly bring them up when you mention the other one. Messi is the best ever for me, Ronaldo second, but the bizarre bitterness about Ronaldo in the above post meant you just had to talk about Messi despite him not being mentioned in any of my posts.

Said it before but in this era with the protection now given to players he would be head and shoulders above Messi & Ronaldo, for me he is the undisputed GOAT.

I often think these debates are influenced by what we prefer to see in a footballer. Although he doesn’t take on 4,5,6 players ronaldo scores some very crucial goals both at club (certainly when
He was at madrid anyway) and international level. That puts him up there along with being part of a team that won back to back champions league, no mean feat.

Messi is the same, but will take on 3 or 4
Players before scoring. Was part of the great Barcelona side that some of us (well, maybe
Just me) thought were going to go on to be unstoppable.

Maradona is probably loved and revered by people who watched football during the 80s,90s and seen this amazing footballer who just seemed to have outstanding control over the ball and could dribble from halfway line and go past players like they weren’t there. I would agree on the dragging that napoli side to success. It’s no coincidence that they hadn’t won a major trophy before he arrived and he left with two league winners medals and a eufa cup.

Possibly the question comes do to, would that madrid side have won what they did
Without Ronaldo?

Would barca have wont it all without messi?

Would Napoli have won what they did without diego?

4 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

If you insist:

Screenshot_2020-11-27-20-20-49-1.png.c202fa3b571c61db28d60fbebdaaf297.png

Frog instead of God? So clever / witty that it's obviously beyond my IQ capabilities. 

The poor guy's just croaked it and they're coming up with this shite...

20 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Whataboutery in the extreme. He captained a poor Portuguese side, finishing joint 2nd top scorer in the competition, and dragged them through to the final. Yes he got injured in the final, but you can’t just forget the rest of the tournament.

Messi dragged Argentina to four finals then, so that's much better yeah?

Following up the dragging mediocre international teams to a final point that Ronaldo and Messi both did that (obviously Ronaldo was injured early in the final and Argentina have lost every final they've been in during Messi's career so neither are as big an achievement as Maradona in 86) I'm not sure how well the brutality point stands up.

Obviously Maradona faced complete thuggery that would be met with an instant red card if an attacker today was on the receiving end, and we don't know how Messi or Ronaldo would have coped if they were getting that in every single game for 90 minutes solid as opposed to far less frequent bits of shithousing which are often followed up by playing against 10 men. Even looking at that clip of the England game in 86 that's doing the rounds, there are at least five challenges that would be stonewall reds today and many more that probably would be. Maybe they'd have been unable to cope with that, while playing today with more protection Maradona would run riot even more.

However defenders getting away with less isn't the only way the game has changed, and while asking how attacking players now would cope with less protection from referees you also have to consider how much more damage they could have done with more space due to the huge differences tactically between football in the 80s and football now.

Considering that having the ball glued to his feet all the time was what made Maradona so brilliant maybe he would have thrived even more now, but it's still a factor to consider - trying to unpick defences and find space against teams that had ten hardworking and more importantly well organised players behind the ball wasn't something players faced in every game. Not every evolution in the game has made things easier for attackers, so it's not as simple as saying less thuggery = more goals.