Diego Mara-goner

1 minute ago, Hedgecutter said:

My early prediction is "the could-have-been World Cup winner that had the trophy stolen from his hands by the hand of Maradona, may it continue to haunt him in the next life as it did him in this one"

FTFY

My early prediction is "the could-have-been World Cup winner that had the trophy stolen from his hands by the hand of Maradona"
Probably. Might be too much to ask that they run with "Tory p***k who had a wee Argentine lodger in his Brain for decades"

28 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

It's brilliant. I love that they still haven't realised he never gave a shiny shite how upset they are about it.

I loved his description when they asked him what he thought of it in retrospect.

"smart and crafty"

article-1112843-028DE7D80000044D-195_233

Enjoyable to see the 1986 Gammonry choking back the word 'cheat' in their tributes. or in the case of Shilton and Peter Reid, not even managing that. 

I saw a replay of the game a few months ago near the start of lockdown and, whilst their press coverage would have you thinking it was a close match decided on an injustice, England were awful and Maradona should have sworded them another few times.

He's going to pass it to Diego, there's Maradona with it, two men on him, Maradona steps on the ball, there goes down the right flank the genius of world football, he leaves the wing and he's going to pass it to Burruchaga... Still Maradona! Genius! Genius! Genius! There, there, there, there, there, there! Goaaaaaaaal! Goaaaaaaal! I want to cry, oh holy God, long live football! What a goal! Diegoal! Maradona! It is to cry for, excuse me! Maradona, in a memorable run, in the best play of all times! Cosmic kite, which planet did you come from, to leave so many Englishmen behind, for the country to be a clenched fist crying for Argentina? Argentina 2, England 0! Diegoal, Diegoal, Diego Armando Maradona! Thank you, God, for football, for Maradona, for these tears, for this Argentina 2, England 0.

Edited by AMMjag

Something I've not really seen mentioned yet is the reminder that the Hand of God happened just 4 years after the Falkland's War.  That must have been the very definition of 'grudge match' and an extra big GIRFUY.  FWIW, I used to car share with an Argentinian woman ~6 years ago and she was still passionately bitter about the whole Malvinas thing over 30 years on.

Anyway, what they've done at Boca's ground, I see it:

image.png.d85473b734ab8840c1cee970fa9dc710.png

Edited by Hedgecutter

24 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Something I've not really seen mentioned yet is the reminder that the Hand of God happened just 4 years after the Falkland's War.  That must have been the very definition of 'grudge match' and an extra big GIRFUY.  FWIW, I used to car share with an Argentinian woman ~6 years ago and she was still passionately bitter about the whole Malvinas thing over 30 years on.

Anyway, what they've done at Boca's ground, I see it:

image.png.d85473b734ab8840c1cee970fa9dc710.png

You have to understand it from their point of view too.  Imagine say Japan had bought the Shetlands from Australia 300 years ago.  There was nobody there and they just moved a couple of thousand Japanese people there like two hundred years later. 

Now they claim its theirs. and they're a bigger stronger country than us with a better military.  They also claim all the oil in the North Sea is theirs too cause the Shetlands are theirs.  Imagine how angry and humiliated you would be. 

So you invade to try to right this wrong, and are slaughtered by the imperial might of the colonial oppressor, who commit several war crimes in the process.  A national humiliation, that endures to this day as we still have the Falklands. 

Then imagine you get the chance to knock them out of the WC four years later....

4 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

The sinking of the Belgrano was without question a war crime, that resulted in the deaths of hundreds of Argentinians.  There is no dispute about this.  It was outside the exclusion zone and heading away from the conflict.

4 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

The sinking of the Belgrano was without question a war crime, that resulted in the deaths of hundreds of Argentinians.  There is no dispute about this.  It was outside the exclusion zone and heading away from the conflict.

Absolute havering pish.

10 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

9 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Also the treatment of Argentinian prisoners many of whom suffered from exposure etc.  We, typically enough, conducted ourselves horribly in that conflict.

image.thumb.png.4496dacaaaccab4d60a5f9108b055aea.png

20 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Aye, it's handy that troop carriers always go in straight lines so you can tell where they're headed. More than likely they were just out to catch a bit of sea breeze.

I believe the Argentine Navy themselves recognise the Belgrano as a legitimate sinking.

The legitimacy of the entire war and our business there in the first place is a much more debatable point, and a much better stick to beat dead and in hell c**t Thatcher with.

4 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Aye, it's handy that troop carriers always go in straight lines so you can tell where they're headed. More than likely they were just out to catch a bit of sea breeze.

They had a 320km exclusion zone.  The rules of war are very very clear.  Inside that zone fair game, outside it a war crime.  There is no ambiguity here, the only that exists has been created by the British press pumping out propaganda. 

Its quite interesting and depressinly predictable to watch literally almost everyone who grew up immersed in that propaganda 100% believes it.  

Just now, Bairnardo said:

I believe the Argentine Navy themselves recognise the Belgrano as a legitimate sinking.

The legitimacy of the entire war and our business there in the first place is a much more debatable point, and a much better stick to beat dead and in hell c**t Thatcher with.

Yeah totally, that's why they've tried to sue the British government for it twice and complained to the UN.  

Yeah totally, that's why they've tried to sue the British government for it twice and complained to the UN.  
I'd love to see Thatcher further humiliated as a war criminal for that and anything else, but a quick google seems to discredit it. If you can show otherwise, by all means go for it, but apparently the Argentine Navy themselves acknowledged it is a legitimate act of war in court.