Diego Mara-goner

Just now, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

You make no point except other countries have done bad stuff too.  That doesn't make doing bad stuff okay.

Well no. I'm making the point that of course everyone understands why feelings were running high in the aftermath of the Falklands War but the attitude of Argentina towards the Falklands is generally ridiculous and so is any attempt to excuse it.

It's the equivalent of folk in Scotland getting angry about the Faroe Islands being under Danish control and wanting to start a war over it. Everyone would think a person that thought like that was an idiot.

I think that what made Maradona so great was the fact that he was a flawed hero.

Your Messi's and Ronaldo's nowadays, they all project this extremely clean image that's tightly controlled by brand managers etc. It's hard to like them because they don't feel like real people - you know that everything you know about them is fake.

Maradona didn't give a f*ck about any of that. He was who he was, warts and all. And that's why he was the People's Champion, and why he was the greatest footballer of all time - not just because of his incredible talent, because others have also had that. But because of what he represented and how people could relate to that.

3 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Well no. I'm making the point that of course everyone understands why feelings were running high in the aftermath of the Falklands War but the attitude of Argentina towards the Falklands is generally ridiculous and so is any attempt to excuse it.

It's the equivalent of folk in Scotland getting angry about the Faroe Islands being under Danish control and wanting to start a war over it. Everyone would think a person that thought like that was an idiot.

I genuinely can't get my head round how people can't understand its actually our attitude that is ridiculous.  Its a colony we hold by force 7000 miles away in order to steal another county's natural resources.  We're the baddies.  Its honestly mind boggling to me that almost everybody in the UK is incapable of seeing it, when its as blatantly obvious as its possible to be.  That's the result of effective propaganda I suppose.  

Anyway I don't want to derail the thread.

2 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

I genuinely can't get my head round how people can't understand its actually our attitude that is ridiculous.  Its a colony we hold by force 7000 miles away in order to steal another county's natural resources.  We're the baddies.  Its honestly mind boggling to me that almost everybody in the UK is incapable of seeing it, when its as blatantly obvious as its possible to be.  That's the result of effective propaganda I suppose.  

yeah.gif.0923487ffef409ebfc76aa0b6248638a.gif

4 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Yeah, what a simple minded sheeple I am for not viewing the world though the lens of countries being "goodies and baddies".

1 hour ago, Hedgecutter said:

Something I've not really seen mentioned yet is the reminder that the Hand of God happened just 4 years after the Falkland's War.  That must have been the very definition of 'grudge match' and an extra big GIRFUY.  FWIW, I used to car share with an Argentinian woman ~6 years ago and she was still passionately bitter about the whole Malvinas thing over 30 years on.

image.png.3374f83dc05f80446828ae9abab972a6.png

Or colonisation, occupation and pillage being an inherently 'good' or 'bad' thing.  I see your dilemma. its a tough one.

Whatever.

There are thousands of threads to bore every fucker to death with but this thread is to celebrate the life of El Pibe DE Oro, the hand of God and the fact that he did not give a flying f**k what anybody thought of him.

maradonna.thumb.jpg.0aaf9d10aeca575ef29563716c6dc04b.jpg

Argentina.  Unless you think nobody was claiming those resources thousands of miles away so that makes them fair game for the people with the biggest guns.  That's your argument.  How very colonial.

How far back should decolonisation go?

The Spanish could've done with Maradona in the 80s right enough.

1 minute ago, Lurkst said:

How far back should decolonisation go?

The Spanish could've done with Maradona in the 80s right enough.

Simple whataboutery.  Pointing out other countries have also behaved appallingly in the past is no excuse for your county's appalling behaviour in the present, no matter how much you want it to be.

Can we please keep this thread about non contentious shite and concentrate on the contentious god like genius who most of us so sadly mourn. It does not matter a f**k whatever military strategist anyone caddied for, no one cares about the Falklands, no one gives a flying f**k about war crimes, because without Diego, whats the point?