Celtic's Next Permanent Manager

Who will be Celtic's next permanent manager?  

445 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

17 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

Even though every appointment is a gamble surely Howe is as good as Celtic could have got?

I think after Rodgers, and to a slightly lesser extent Clarke and Gerrard,managers will view our league as a chance to raise their profile more now than the graveyard it was before.

i think so, there were many who believed Howe to also be beyond us (myself included at times) and it would be some sort of almost parody signing of a Roy Keane or some sort of Celtic minded ex-player individual.

If it is to be Howe and every indicator points towards that it will be then i'm glad that he is none of those things, he isn't an ex player, he isn't Irish nor does he have any real links to us. He is a forward thinking, progressive coach who will do the job based on what needs to be done and not based on nostalgia.

Edited by Jinky67

3 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

i think so, there were many who believed Howe to also be beyond us (myself included at times) and it would be some sort of almost parody signing of a Roy Keane or some sort of Celtic minded ex-player individual.

If it is to be Howe and every indicator points towards that it will be then i'm glad that he is none of those things, he isn't an ex player, he isn't Irish nor does he have any real links to us. He is a forward thinking, progressive coach who will do the job based on what needs to be done and not based on nostalgia.

Agreed.

My only concern with Howe would be that there seems to be something about him that stopped him from being touted for other jobs in England the last 12 months (unless he was getting paid by Bournemouth?) and also whatever stopped him from getting another job when he was doing so well with Bournemouth.  Seems a bit strange.

21 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

Looks like its done :) A good Friday indeed 

Even if it fails, you can at least understand the logic of it. 

Guess thats a positive sign for Celtic fans, considering the past few years.

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Even if it fails, you can at least understand the logic of it. 

Guess thats a positive sign for Celtic fans, considering the past few years.

Absolutely, we can't aim criticism at the board for this if it goes tits up. This time they have taken their time, followed a process and brought in someone with credibility and it also looks like Howe is demanding full autonomy over his backroom appointments and a sizeable "war chest" to oversee the rebuild.

Celtic have genuinely surprised me here and assuming its all a done deal really looking forward to next season :)

Edited by Jinky67

9 minutes ago, DMCs said:

Very good appointment. He will need time though as he's never managed a club with anywhere near the pressure nor has any European experience. 

I don't buy this pressure that the OF go on about. Eddie Howe has faced Man City, Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal etc. on a weekly basis and has came up against Guardiola, Klopp, Conte and Mourinho etc. Having to beat Hamilton and Livi every week when you have 20 times their budget is not the enormous pressure you think it is. Of course the OF have to win every game in Scotland because not doing so gives the other a boost in the league challenge but they also have monumental advantages over these teams so they should be winning these games at a canter. It is the same pressure that Motherwell and Aberdeen have in todays games against Formartine and Dumbarton.

The OF aren't under the same pressure in Europe to win every game because the fans know that is a much more even playing field.

1 minute ago, ahemps said:

I don't buy this pressure that the OF go on about. Eddie Howe has faced Man City, Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal etc. on a weekly basis and has came up against Guardiola, Klopp, Conte and Mourinho etc. Having to beat Hamilton and Livi every week when you have 20 times their budget is not the enormous pressure you think it is. Of course the OF have to win every game in Scotland because not doing so gives the other a boost in the league challenge but they also have monumental advantages over these teams so they should be winning these games at a canter. It is the same pressure that Motherwell and Aberdeen have in todays games against Formartine and Dumbarton.

The OF aren't under the same pressure in Europe to win every game because the fans know that is a much more even playing field.

Tell that to the hearts fans.

31 minutes ago, ahemps said:

It is a different pressure . Decent managers with a decent reputation have came to Rangers and Celtic and crumbled under the pressure . Le guen , Mowbray etc .

In le guen’s case There is an argument that  given time I.e Gerrard  he could have turned Rangers into a decent outfit but such was the cut throat nature of Rangers and Celtic at the time that anything other than a strong title challenge was a disaster he was never given that opportunity.

I’m not sure wether Gerrard being given time with us might result in a slight culture change within both clubs to that stance . Proof will be in the pudding if Howe has Celtic playing an attractive brand of football but possibly trailing Rangers and how their support react. 

3 minutes ago, Forever_blueco said:

It is a different pressure . Decent managers with a decent reputation have came to Rangers and Celtic and crumbled under the pressure . Le guen , Mowbray etc .

In le guen’s case There is an argument that  given time I.e Gerrard  he could have turned Rangers into a decent outfit but such was the cut throat nature of Rangers and Celtic at the time that anything other than a strong title challenge was a disaster he was never given that opportunity.

I’m not sure wether Gerrard being given time with us might result in a slight culture change within both clubs to that stance . Proof will be in the pudding if Howe has Celtic playing an attractive brand of football but possibly trailing Rangers and how their support react. 

Did Le Guen crumble?

By most accounts the Scottish players turned on him quite quickly and made sure those in the boardroom knew how they all felt. He was fighting a losing battle from the start IMO.

Walter Smith was offered the job the same day Le Guen left FFS.

Gerrard was under severe pressure last season. During the 8th minute in the game against Accies some fans decided to have an applause to back the manager, obviously yous went on to lose that game 1-0.

It could be argued covid saved his job. Whether or not he would have been sacked had the season continued in normal circumstances nobody can tell. Maybe the board would not have pulled the trigger, but the fans definitely turned on him.

Suppose what I'm trying to say is Gerrard was given time, the best thing that happened for Rangers was the league finishing early last season and no fans allowed into the stadiums this season.

19 hours ago, Sortmeout said:

Agreed.

My only concern with Howe would be that there seems to be something about him that stopped him from being touted for other jobs in England the last 12 months (unless he was getting paid by Bournemouth?) and also whatever stopped him from getting another job when he was doing so well with Bournemouth.  Seems a bit strange.

It’s maybe to do with the fact that after a brilliant 9th place finish in 16/17 his Bournemouth team were in steady decline for 3 seasons which ended with him leading them to relegation ? Added to that his performance at the higher end of the transfer market wasn’t very good so maybe that’s why no club in the EPL seen him as an option ?

If he was going to get another EPL job it was more likely to have been around 2016 - 2018, I think that option has bolted for him at the moment.

He’s probably looked at what Rodgers done up here and thought he could mirror that and get a return to the EPL that way ?

He’s young enough to play the long game.