Queen of the South v The Caley

1 minute ago, parsforlife said:

This is Johnston’s last full time job,   question is how long will queens allow that to last?

Probably at least until his contract runs out. They either think he is good or can’t afford to sack him.

3 minutes ago, PB1994 said:

In fairness White wasn’t very good. No idea how he get a contract at Motherwell.

If Walsh was still with us, he'd be getting into that team probably at the expense of Sutherland.  White did what he had to do but was never a major goalscorer - we're usually a better team with a smaller player up-front.

We seem to have swapped losing goals from crosses and corners to simply letting players waltz through our defence and score.  I lost count of the number of times a Caley player got the ball in midfield or near our penalty area with not a Queens player within 20 yards of him.  Even when they did have two players on them they still came away with the ball without too much trouble. The defence was poor but again the central midfielders didn't offer much protection.  Watching the half-time feature about our 2008 Cup run really brought it home how far we've sunk as a team. 

Excellent result and performance. Obviously Kennedy grabs a lot of the headlines because he performed so well and is such s dangerous player but I’m glad Roddy MacGregor won man of the match, he was such a great performer and has been all season. He gives us so much dynamism and movement in the midfield And works really well next to Allardice.

We seem to have swapped losing goals from crosses and corners to simply letting players waltz through our defence and score.  I lost count of the number of times a Caley player got the ball in midfield or near our penalty area with not a Queens player within 20 yards of him.  Even when they did have two players on them they still came away with the ball without too much trouble. The defence was poor but again the central midfielders didn't offer much protection.  Watching the half-time feature about our 2008 Cup run really brought it home how far we've sunk as a team. 

I wouldn’t take too much comfort from the corners stat. ICT only had one. A surprising stat given how dominant they were but correct nonetheless.

11 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Excellent result and performance. Obviously Kennedy grabs a lot of the headlines because he performed so well and is such s dangerous player but I’m glad Roddy MacGregor won man of the match, he was such a great performer and has been all season. He gives us so much dynamism and movement in the midfield And works really well next to Allardice.

MacGregor's finish for the second isn't getting enough credit. The ball bounces right in front of him before he hits it, it's really difficult to stick that in the top corner.

I hadn't seen or heard much about him tonight but definitely a player I'll be keeping a wee eye on.

Well that was very poor. Easily our worst of the season. Although we defended poorly for most of the Raith game we also attacked well in spells and might have rescued the game. We got exactly what we deserved tonight. In fact, although at 0-0 just before the "Kennedy" goal we had a few chances, we probably should have lost by more. We were awful for the first 10 minutes and lucky not to be behind. We then had a decent spell and could have scored before Kennedy kind of did. Wullie Gibson had his worst game since returning and he and Fitzpatrick let Kennedy in too easily. I'd need to see it again to see if Leighfield was unlucky or should have done better. We weren't actually that bad for the rest of the half either and had chances to equalise.

2nd half we offered almost nothing though. Inverness 2nd goal was a terrific finish from where I was. Wonderful goal and from then on it was about how many they'd win by. It could have been worse than it was. Disappointing. Inverness had a young side out but they were quick and hungry and better than us in pretty much every department. No complaints. We'll have to do better next week or Hearts will hammer us.

1 hour ago, Flash said:

Probably at least until his contract runs out. They either think he is good or can’t afford to sack him.

Please No! Only good thing about tonight was the halftime memories with Billy Dodds & the 2008 cup run, talking about halftime who won the halftime 50/50 draw? 

20 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Well that was very poor. Easily our worst of the season. Although we defended poorly for most of the Raith game we also attacked well in spells and might have rescued the game. We got exactly what we deserved tonight. In fact, although at 0-0 just before the "Kennedy" goal we had a few chances, we probably should have lost by more. We were awful for the first 10 minutes and lucky not to be behind. We then had a decent spell and could have scored before Kennedy kind of did. Wullie Gibson had his worst game since returning and he and Fitzpatrick let Kennedy in too easily. I'd need to see it again to see if Leighfield was unlucky or should have done better. We weren't actually that bad for the rest of the half either and had chances to equalise.

2nd half we offered almost nothing though. Inverness 2nd goal was a terrific finish from where I was. Wonderful goal and from then on it was about how many they'd win by. It could have been worse than it was. Disappointing. Inverness had a young side out but they were quick and hungry and better than us in pretty much every department. No complaints. We'll have to do better next week or Hearts will hammer us.

Yep a dreadful performance.  A thoroughly depressing watch. I felt really sorry for Dobbie battling away up front in a formation that does nothing to get the best out of a really talented player. We have a bit of talent going forward but our set up negates this while we're awful defensively in any case. A real double whammy. Dismal stuff.

15 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:
2 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:
Seriously, where on earth does this idea that we might be pressing for a promotion play-off place come from?
I'll be delighted if we can sneak into the relegation ones.

Surely the most outrageous thing to ever grace the P&B boards?

It really isn’t, when you have as much dross kicking about as we have then avoiding bottom spot is the best you can hope for.

I’d be interested in a comparison of goals scored by Dobbie under Naysmith and goals scored by him under Johnston.

It’s a long list of failings, but one of his biggest has to be his complete inability to get the most out of the greatest player to have played for the club.

17 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Yep a dreadful performance.  A thoroughly depressing watch. I felt really sorry for Dobbie battling away up front in a formation that does nothing to get the best out of a really talented player. We have a bit of talent going forward but our set up negates this while we're awful defensively in any case. A real double whammy. Dismal stuff.

How does Queens' current system negate Dobbie or other attacking players? From the performance this evening the problem wasn't that you were packing players behind the ball or playing with the handbrake on. You simply don't have the required ability in the middle of the park or across your back four to win the ball enough, keep the ball enough or keep weans out of a close enough to compete over 90 minutes. There were plenty of opportunities for the forward players to link up in good spaces but they simply failed to do enough to test Ridgers.

It's an all too easy cop out to endlessly blame tactical systems when in all probability you're just getting diminishing returns from a declining talisman up top and have been predictably weak in most other areas of the park for several years.

Edited by vikingTON

9 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

442 play to Dobbie's strengths C'mon it canny be that difficult.... 🤦‍♂️

Yep, good luck with having *checks notes* Joe McKee, 'Dan Pybus' or Rhys McCabe anchor the middle of the park in your Mike Bassett, '4-4-fucking-2' with wingers formation at Championship level. 

That's your League One title winning formation and nothing more than that.

Edited by vikingTON