Tory Lies, Corruption and Hypocrisy- Add Them Here

HTG

33 minutes ago, RH33 said:

How can an unexpected person be given a ministerial job? I thought you had to be elected.....oh wait it's the Tories, rules don't apply to them.

FWIW there's never been a time when ministers had to be elected and most departments have always had a junior minister in the Lords. What's less common is a secretary of state - a cabinet minister - not in the House of Commons. Last time that happened was under Labour, when Gordon Brown appointed Peter Mandelson  as Business Secretary and Andrew Adonis as Transport Secretary.

This is the kind of thing that happens in a country with no formal constitution. 

11 minutes ago, KirkieRR said:

You don't have to be in the Commons or Lords to get a Cabinet job, though it's frowned upon.

Labour put Trade Unionist Frank Cousins in their 1964 Cabinet  although he didn't enter the commons until a 1965 by-election win.

Cousins was one of two members of that cabinet that were neither MPs nor Lords, the last time this has happened. Patrick Gordon-Walker was, amazingly, Foreign Secretary despite losing his seat at the election. In January 1965 he stood in a by-election, lost, and resigned.

His 1964 election loss in Smethwick was the campaign famous for the slogan used against him "If you want a n***er for a neighbour, vote Labour."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/oct/15/britains-most-racist-election-smethwick-50-years-on 

Edited by GordonS

14 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Cousins was one of two members of that cabinet that were neither MPs nor Lords, the last time this has happened. Patrick Gordon-Walker was, amazingly, Foreign Secretary despite losing his seat at the election. In January 1965 he stood in a by-election, lost, and resigned.

His 1964 election loss in Smethwick was the campaign famous for the slogan used against him "If you want a n***er for a neighbour, vote Labour."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/oct/15/britains-most-racist-election-smethwick-50-years-on 

I wouldn't be suprised if Sunak resurrects that slogan at the next election.

2 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

350 MPs, and Sunak looked at them and decided that none of them were up to the job, so wheeled out Cameron. Jeezo!

It feels a lot like Celtic giving Neil Lennon the managerial job in a desperate ploy to keep fans onside. It won’t work out obviously, but maybe some of your Tories who just want poor people murdered without all the racism being said out loud will like it for a bit. 

I guess what I’m saying is that, given being elected isn’t actually necessary, make Neil Lennon the foreign secretary. 

1 hour ago, GordonS said:

FWIW there's never been a time when ministers had to be elected and most departments have always had a junior minister in the Lords. What's less common is a secretary of state - a cabinet minister - not in the House of Commons. Last time that happened was under Labour, when Gordon Brown appointed Peter Mandelson  as Business Secretary and Andrew Adonis as Transport Secretary.

This is the kind of thing that happens in a country with no formal constitution. 

Yeah I called my dad to have a chat about it as Cameron isn't even in Lords. He explained back in the 19th century (off top of his head @virginton being our resident historian can maybe save googling) a prime minister who wasn't an MP was installed.

Thing is a shambles, and burying news of forcing more disabled people into work, conviently.

2 hours ago, houston_bud said:

Any idea who the last member of the Lords to hold one of the great offices of state was? 

I'm not counting Alec Douglas Home as he resigned from the Lords to take up the position of PM.

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I think Lord Carrington was already in the Lords when he took the blame for the Falklands.

2 hours ago, RH33 said:

How can an unexpected person be given a ministerial job? I thought you had to be elected.....oh wait it's the Tories, rules don't apply to them.

More common than you'd think in modern era, but not recent decades... Cameron follows Halifax, Douglas-Home, Partick Gordon-Walker and Carrington as non-MP Foreign Secretaries since WWII.

3 minutes ago, RH33 said:

He explained back in the 19th century a prime minister who wasn't an MP was installed.

Last non-MP PM left office 1902: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Gascoyne-Cecil,_3rd_Marquess_of_Salisbury

330px-Robert-Gascoyne-Cecil-3rd-Marquess

Edited by HibeeJibee