Scottish Parliamentary Elections May 2021

11 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Only 40% of households in Edinburgh Central have a car, so I really can't see that. 

A lot of people think 'vocal opposition' in things like this will lead to actual huge swings in elections. I been to more than a few public meetings where the politicians get a shoeing about new houses, cycle lanes etc- last one I was at the leader of the objecting campaign group suggested did the 'election is coming up and if this goes through you'll have no chance of being reelected'. People forget that although a couple hundred like your facebook campaign page, it virtually makes no difference because the majority of people don't gives a shit about houses being built there and the majority of electorate aren't going to switch from the SNP cause they like the policies. 

It can happen but tends to happen to councillors who panic more because of the small numbers of votes needed to do it. 

5 minutes ago, harry94 said:

For the whole constituency? That's up 10% if so and a record breaker.

That was the figure I heard on Radio Scotland, hope I've not misheard as I really put a lot of importance on people placing their vote. 

Edited by ayrmad

Apparently the turnout in Perthshire North is over 70% as well.

This could  either bode well or bad for SNP/Indy.  are all the extra voters Unionists or are they Indy voters. Perhaps we will see differences in different areas as well.

1 minute ago, paolo2143 said:

Apparently the turnout in Perthshire North is over 70% as well.

This could  either bode well or bad for SNP/Indy.  are all the extra voters Unionists or are they Indy voters. Perhaps we will see differences in different areas as well.

Fascinating, keep us posted!

Fucking bricking it now. Was thinking 50/50 for majority but sounds as if the tactical Yoon vote could knock it to under 60 seats or the Pro-indy vote has actually turned out in numbers to smash the 65 barrier. 

This is a complicated matter so keep up. Higher tunrnout is generally good for parties when the extra turnout is disproportionately made up of their voters. It tends to be worse when the extra turnout disproportionately votes for their opponents.

2 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

This is a complicated matter so keep up. Higher tunrnout is generally good for parties when the extra turnout is disproportionately made up of their voters. It tends to be worse when the extra turnout disproportionately votes for their opponents.

What happens when the extra turnout splits about evenly?

Guest bernardblack

“Edinburgh central is known for it’s castle”

BBC Scotland really deep diving into this 

This Wallace Lockhart guy gave a surprisingly competent explanation of the voting system and now is on some regional chat.  I had to check I was definitely tuned to the BBC.  I've been listening to too much Sportsound I suppose.  

1 minute ago, DublinMagyar said:

PnB poll required

Is it acceptable for me to start drinking now? Watching BBC 1 Scotland

I mind I got a pack of Tennents and had brought a bottle of Smirnoff triple distilled from Copenhagen airport a couple of weeks before. Sat tucked into it on Indy night back in '14 from about 7pm. By midnight it was half gone and in a right jolly mood. By about 2pm I'd sobered up beyond sober in a horrifying state of "aw f**k'.

3 minutes ago, DublinMagyar said:

PnB poll required

Is it acceptable for me to start drinking now? Watching BBC 1 Scotland

f**k acceptable, I'd say it was essential.