Are YOU Voting for the Alba Party?

NotThePars

Who's Voting for the Alba Party?  

398 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Scary Bear said:

Armed insurrection? 😂 

Most people in this country can barely be bothered voting. They certainly have better things to do with their time than get heavily involved with politics, so I think the insurrection is off.

I’m at the point where, if I’m being realistic about it, I’m sceptical that independence will happen. The political parties that want it don’t appear to have a way of making it happen and we’ve been tied into the union with England for too long, which means a fair amount of English people have settled here and/or married Scottish people. However, as the numbers are still hovering around 50% and Britain looks a morally bankrupt, financial basket case, with no hope in sight, it’s good to keep it on the table.

Hopefully it does happen. On the Abla thing, it’s good to have some sort of Indy favouring alternative to the SNP. Alba don’t seem to be it yet, but I’m glad someone tried. The SNP have morphed into your everyday successful political party who now care more about staying in power than about their original ideals.

As a Unionist looking at the independence movement from the outside, I think you make good points, particularly about the SNP and them favouring power over independence.

Nats not giving Alba their list vote at the last Holyrood election was a huge mistake IMO.

The SNP/Alba supermajority would have been far harder to ignore than the resulting small majority via coalition with the Greens, a party whose raison d'etre is not independence, but an extreme, left wing ideology.

You’ll often find the most zealous Alba-shunners using the term ‘genital inspector’ 🤭

Salmond for all his faults is still a highly skilled political operator.  Harvie is not.

If Alba want my list vote, they have to give me some reason to consider it beyond merely pro-indi, because aside from that one policy they're every bit as objectionable as the Tories. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, CarrbridgeSaintee said:

Salmond for all his faults is still a highly skilled political operator

He started a new party out of utter hubris, thinking that the bams (almost all middle aged men) who follow Rev Stu's every utterance would "give Alba a groundswell of REAL Indy voices". He believed in his own PR.

Demonstrably, this hasnt happened - and partly its because (regardless of the court case outcome), when your lawyer admits that your behaviour was "a bit dodgy" in the past, and you were taking cash from Russia, lots of people just think - nah.

I give Alba til the next Holyrood election and then they will melt away.

Edited by Leith Green

1 minute ago, Leith Green said:

He started a new party out of utter hubris, thinking that the bams (almost all middle aged men) who follow Rev Stu's every utterance would "give Alba a groundswell of REAL Indy voices". He believed in his own PR.

Demonstrably, this hasnt happened - and partly its because (regardless of the court case outcome), when your lawyer admits that your behaviour was "a bit dodgy" in the past, and you were taking cash from Russia, lots of people just think - nah.

Aye Salmond’s got a huge ego, and I agree with you about them melting away, although I think it’ll take longer for that to happen.

Mind he unveiled a painting of himself posing like a style icon? 😬

IMG-4405.webp

Just now, CarrbridgeSaintee said:

Aye Salmond’s got a huge ego, and I agree with you about them melting away, although I think it’ll take longer for that to happen.

Mind he unveiled a painting of himself posing like a style icon? 😬

IMG-4405.webp

Fucking hell, where is that? Kelvingrove Museum?

6 hours ago, thekorean said:

What is support base for Alba Party? Seems like they are right wing pro indy party.

I know a few Salmond fanboys who support Alba purely because of him.

Noticed there was no candidate in my constituency so I couldn't have voted for them anyway.

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

There's a definite air of desperation about them. You'd think if they were serious they have sat and watched Ash Regan make a fool of herself throughout that SNP leadership campaign, and conclude that she'd bring nothing of any value to Alba, but in their scramble for relevance, they saw an already elected member and couldn't wait to welcome her aboard.

I totally understand that parties are often not much more that a group of people with broadly similar goals, but you'd think they shy away from recruiting actual morons regardless of how high profile they might be.

One of the interesting wee side-stories to this GE is I'm curious what Cherry will do in the event she loses her seat. I think it's unlikely as she looks to be one the SNP incumbents who will cling on, but despite her claiming the SNP is her natural home and she will not be bullied or chased out of it, I suspect that once the focus was diverted elsewhere post-electoral defeat, she'd up and f**k off to what appears to be a far more natural fit for her in Alba. Depends, I think, if she sees any future electoral prospects in Alba, because the one thing I do feel sure about with Cherry is that as far as she's concerned it's all about Joanna Cherry and I don't think she'd be capable of sitting in the wilderness for long. Horrible feeling she'd try to worm her way on to the SNP Holyrood list since it's likely that will become far more relevant to the SNP than it has been recently, but I think there are elements within the party that would crawl over broken glass to ensure she would get nowhere near it.

Edited by Boo Khaki

Alba have a weird mix of social conservatism, right wing populism, mental culture wars stuff, and left wing nationalism, not much different from George Galloway's grift. I doubt Salmond meant it to go that way but he had to find a way of distinguishing Alba from the SNP, and his supporters are mainly bitter old party hacks who feel bypassed and forgotten by the younger generation of progressives in the SNP, so it was bound to go a bit tartan gammon.

17 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Alba have a weird mix of social conservatism, right wing populism, mental culture wars stuff, and left wing nationalism, not much different from George Galloway's grift. I doubt Salmond meant it to go that way but he had to find a way of distinguishing Alba from the SNP, and his supporters are mainly bitter old party hacks who feel bypassed and forgotten by the younger generation of progressives in the SNP, so it was bound to go a bit tartan gammon.

Is that what happens to your legs when you stand a bit too close to the Calor gas fire?

I think Abla will be around in some shape or form for a good while yet, although there's clearly huge barriers to them being elected in any significantnumbers atm.

6 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

It's amazing the number of people who, a few years back, were deriding the Rev as a typically deranged "cybernat", but are now wanking themselves into a frenzy over every word he writes because he now hates the SNP and trans people.

And vice versa.

4 hours ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

They killed themselves stone dead when they voted with the Unionists to try and bring down the government.

Yip - and about 24 hours after I stated they might just get my List vote they were firmly back in their box

Bunch of corrosive, backwards, dafties!

The deluded ALBAnauts btl on Wings were convinced they were going to take over from the SNP: who, despite the mauling they've taken, look like Real Madrid compared to ALBA'S Gretna 2008.

2 hours ago, Ned Nederlander said:

Albageddon

Screenshot_20240705_061807_Chrome.jpg

Dum dum dum dum 🫰🏻🫰🏻

Dum dum dum dum 🫰🏻🫰🏻

They're cuddly and they're sleepee

But jist a wee bit creepee

They havnae got an empee 

The Alba faimilee