European Super League.

Lofarl

6 minutes ago, Baptiste Bourgeois said:

The attention seekers like the Mike Dean's and Michael Oliver's of this world will be absolutely GAGGING for an invite. I don't think they'd be short of applications, even if UEFA did threaten the same punishment as they have to players.

Get Collina out of retirement.

2 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

The most infuriating thing about all of this. So confident, as if it's already been agreed. They think the leagues wouldn't dare suggest otherwise, and they're very likely right.

image.png.a76512f25e0b0e1592b8fb1bf51cb83a.png

I don’t know. Given the figures quoted to the super-clubs, I suspect the leagues may well know that any interest or pretence of competitiveness is over.

They might as well let the big teams go now, they’ll soon be dialling back on the domestic league when trying to play 70 odd games a season. 

4 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

The most infuriating thing about all of this. So confident, as if it's already been agreed. They think the leagues wouldn't dare suggest otherwise, and they're very likely right.

image.png.a76512f25e0b0e1592b8fb1bf51cb83a.png

I for one would welcome some targeted fixture placement when the inevitable comedown arrives. 

Friday and Sunday evening games to match Wednesday/Tuesday kick offs. And when they complain about the amount of games, tell them they brought this on themselves and have 25 man squad to pick from, and therefore can select their priorities. 

15 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

I think outside of the clubs i wonder who the refs are going to be?

If UEFA are going scorched earth there is going to be a breakaway group of refs who probably wouldn't be allowed to ref in UEFA sanctioned competitions and the Super League.

could any scottish refs make the jump to Super League status?

bobby madden to the rescue

5 minutes ago, Michael W said:

I for one would welcome some targeted fixture placement when the inevitable comedown arrives. 

Friday and Sunday evening games to match Wednesday/Tuesday kick offs. And when they complain about the amount of games, tell them they brought this on themselves and have 25 man squad to pick from, and therefore can select their priorities. 

Well once a BIG SIX club is out of contention of winning the league they can play a reserve side in domestic fixtures. It isn't like they need to be in the top 4 for the CL 😄

51 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

So if 5 get admitted each season, presumably 5 get relegated also. Its pretty much just the Champions League but without PSG and Bayern. I can't get worked up either way by it. 

I thought you were overstating it, so I checked when the 12 kunts last weren't in the CL. For most it's really not that long ago. Half have missed at least one season in the past 4. 

Real Madrid 96-97

Barcelona 03-04

Atletico Madrid 12-13

Juventus 11-12

Inter 17-18

Milan 20-21

Man City 10-11

Man Utd 19-20

Chelsea 18-19

Liverpool 16-17

Spurs 20-21

Arsenal 20-21

2 minutes ago, GordonS said:

He's a football man at heart. He respects all the clubs and fans the same, regardless of how much money they've got.

That's the whole point - more than 90% of the fans of those 12 clubs never attend matches. Their relationship with the clubs is completely remote.

Those fans - and most football fans - will watch matches on TV featuring the most famous clubs and players, but they're much less likely to bother if neither side has players they've heard of. That's were the money is, and ticket prices are little more than a cherry on top. 

It fries my mind. You go onto any Premier league club's twitter and you inevitably have a Man Utd fan from Nigeria fighting with like a Liverpool fan from Thailand and they're all going like 'ahahaha, you're so shit, we're the best' etc and I simply do not understand and never will understand that extensive level of investment in a club that you've never seen and likely never will. It strikes me as almost childlike to do something like this. I could never imagine taking such an interest, even in a club I have gone to see live like Hertha Berlin or Barcelona, to the point I'd call them 'we' or 'us', because I'd never feel I could fully invest in something so far away and with no real prior history or investment. I couldn't feel part of the fanbase or any involvement in the crowd.

I was really, really into Man Utd from about 7 or 8 until I was about 12. First team I ever watched and totally fell in love with football over. Eric Cantona was my hero. But then I grew up and grew out of it...I'm not from Manchester, I don't live there or breathe the atmosphere around the club on matchdays - perhaps if I did I'd be far more emotionally invested so that's why I can't understand the mindset of not only a telly/internet fan (and god knows we suffer plenty of them in this country) but a fan who will espouse their undying love for a club that they'll never, ever watch play. I'd much rather give that energy, that passion and that drive to my local team because at the end of the day, watching 22 unknowns playing a game of football live is 100x better than watching 22 superstars on the telly because NOTHING beats live football. not only is it more entertaining, more fun and exciting but it actually gives you a better understanding of the game as there is so much more developing in front of your eyes than a camera will pick up.

If I was a Ghanaian, Croatian, or American and was desperately looking for a football team to latch onto, I'd be looking in my own area first, not to foreign shores.

And unfortunately, that mentality for the sport is long since lost which has lead to the pit of greed that we have today.

This could actually turn out ok for the "smaller" teams as the genuine fans might turn their backs on this plastic reincarnation of the ESL clubs and start supporting their local team instead.

It's went all MLS. Utter utter shite for the genuine supporters of these clubs. 

45 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

At the risk of being overly-nuanced, f**k the money-grabbing c***s.

Don't sugarcoat it....let it out

21 minutes ago, G51 said:

https://www.thesuperleague.com

If it's a bluff, they're going to some amount of effort.

I notice the "European" part of the name has been dropped already

6 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Apparently the Champions League and Europa League have been suspended, we'll see if that's true...

Had a quick search and all the links that are being fired about are for an article that was released on 1st April

2 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

It fries my mind. You go onto any Premier league club's twitter and you inevitably have a Man Utd fan from Nigeria fighting with like a Liverpool fan from Thailand and they're all going like 'ahahaha, you're so shit, we're the best' etc and I simply do not understand and never will understand that extensive level of investment in a club that you've never seen and likely never will. It strikes me as almost childlike to do something like this. I could never imagine taking such an interest, even in a club I have gone to see live like Hertha Berlin or Barcelona, to the point I'd call them 'we' or 'us', because I'd never feel I could fully invest in something so far away and with no real prior history or investment. I couldn't feel part of the fanbase or any involvement in the crowd.

I was really, really into Man Utd from about 7 or 8 until I was about 12. First team I ever watched and totally fell in love with football over. Eric Cantona was my hero. But then I grew up and grew out of it...I'm not from Manchester, I don't live there or breathe the atmosphere around the club on matchdays - perhaps if I did I'd be far more emotionally invested so that's why I can't understand the mindset of not only a telly/internet fan (and god knows we suffer plenty of them in this country) but a fan who will espouse their undying love for a club that they'll never, ever watch play. I'd much rather give that energy, that passion and that drive to my local team because at the end of the day, watching 22 unknowns playing a game of football live is 100x better than watching 22 superstars on the telly because NOTHING beats live football. not only is it more entertaining, more fun and exciting but it actually gives you a better understanding of the game as there is so much more developing in front of your eyes than a camera will pick up.

If I was a Ghanaian, Croatian, or American and was desperately looking for a football team to latch onto, I'd be looking in my own area first, not to foreign shores.

And unfortunately, that mentality for the sport is long since lost which has lead to the pit of greed that we have today.

tenor-17.gif

Just now, Cptn Hooch said:

Had a quick search and all the links that are being fired about are for an article that was released on 1st April

Yeah, realised I might well have been had the moment I posted that, hence the edit. Would be nice to hope for some immediate action though.