Euro 2028 - Host bid

Clown Job

If any of the host nations goes through a full Nations League campaign, then a qualification one, then a potential playoff, and still doesn't qualify, it's really hard to argue them getting a spot at all to be honest.  What's the mood like as that nation going into hosting a paltry number of games.

Definitely have some sympathy with the countries who are unhappy with this, in a a normal tournament you'd have 1 spot or 2 going to host nations of whom at least 1 of would have certainly qualified automatically. This way you're giving 2 slots to teams who in fact did not qualify on merit. Should be one slot I think, then you're still guaranteed 2 host nations competing. 

6 minutes ago, forameus said:

If any of the host nations goes through a full Nations League campaign, then a qualification one, then a potential playoff, and still doesn't qualify, it's really hard to argue them getting a spot at all to be honest.  What's the mood like as that nation going into hosting a paltry number of games.

They could always tweak it slightly and keep the backstop in place to ensure that at least 2 home nations qualify, but instead of just giving it to the best 2 host nations that don’t qualify, they could specify that’s it’s only used in the case that only home nations qualifies the traditional way (or none at all) 

6 minutes ago, Virtual Insanity said:

Definitely have some sympathy with the countries who are unhappy with this, in a a normal tournament you'd have 1 spot or 2 going to host nations of whom at least 1 of would have certainly qualified automatically. This way you're giving 2 slots to teams who in fact did not qualify on merit. Should be one slot I think, then you're still guaranteed 2 host nations competing. 

Euro 2008 had two host nations, neither of whom were exactly regular qualifiers at the time, taking up 2 of the 16 spots. For this tournament it would be 2 out of 24.

1 hour ago, Donathan said:

Apparently some UEFA nations are uneasy about the back door qualification route. The latest proposal I’ve seen includes two direct spots going to the best two non-qualifiers after the qualifying group stages AND any remaining host nations being guaranteed a playoff spot.

I said before it surprised me... good chance England + Scotland + Eire qualify, giving Wales + Northern Ireland slots too.

Btw can still see Casement failing and them substituting somewhere like Sheffield/Leeds/Nottingham/etc.

3 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

I said before it surprised me... good chance England + Scotland + Eire qualify, giving Wales + Northern Ireland slots too.

Btw can still see Casement failing and them substituting somewhere like Sheffield/Leeds/Nottingham/etc.

North East, North West, Midlands and London are all represented but nothing on the south coast. Could see Southampton or Brighton being next in the queue if Casement does indeed fail. Both have capacities close to that of Casement. 

1 hour ago, Molotov said:

Will there be money put towards redevelopment of Hampden as a result of this?

According to this article, Hampden's capacity is being raised to 65,000.

https://onefootball.com/en/news/every-stadium-as-uk-ireland-confirmed-for-euro-2028-38365690?language=en

Wikipedia says the same...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2028_bids

I'm taking this with a pinch of salt though. Unless they are installing giant tartan rugs behind each goal for the extra fans to sit on.

Just now, Lurkst said:

https://onefootball.com/en/news/every-stadium-as-uk-ireland-confirmed-for-euro-2028-38365690?language=en

I'm taking this with a pinch of salt though. Unless they are installing giant tartan rugs behind each goal for the extra fans to sit on.

I’m no expert on civil engineering the only two options that spring to mind for expansion would be to lower the pitch, remove the running track and add more rows of seating to the front, or remove the roof around the stands, build upwards and then put a new roof on (or option 3 of bulldoze the entire thing and rebuild it from scratch on the same site). In any case a decision would need to be made soon given that the tournament is less than five years away.

I suspect what will happen is that any planned redevelopment will be cancelled because of Rangers complaining about the cup finals being played at Celtic Park or vice versa while the work is ongoing and we’ll end up hosting games in the stadium as it is today. 

1 minute ago, Lurkst said:

Hampden Park rebuild 'not going to happen' - SFA chief executive Ian Maxwell - BBC Sport

SFA chief in Hampden u-turn as Ian Maxwell reveals why redevelopment is 'not going to happen' | The Scottish Sun

SFA Chief Executive Ian Maxwell says Hampden Park redevelopment is "not going to happen" as he makes a U-turn on national stadium plans.

The Tartan Army have got the place rocking in recent years as Steve Clarke's side continue to restore pride in the Scotland Men's team. But one of the main criticisms of the ground is that fans are too far away from the pitch, with a large running track separating spectators and the action on the field. With the stadium seeing its last major development in 1999, talks for expansion had been brought up for a now-abandoned UK World Cup 2030 bid. And earlier this month images were released about what that dream could look like.

But Maxwell says any revamp is off the cards.

When asked about bringing stands closer to the pitch, Maxwell told BBC Scotland's Sportsound: "We talked previously about redevelopment and reconfiguration and bringing the ends in. "That was in the context of a World Cup 2030 bid and, at that point, we thought we might be able to raise some significant income from the UK government or otherwise. "I think it was Stuttgart that brought their ends in and that cost them approximately 90million euros, but that was pre-Covid and that's now 100m-plus. "And, with the best will in the world, if someone can give us 100-odd million euros, we have far more important things to do with that in terms of growing the game and opportunities to play and transforming lives than doing the stadium."

It comes as leaks in the Hampden roof were spotted as torrential rain interrupted Scotland's Euro 2024 qualifier against Georgia.

Maxwell said that repairs are "an ongoing process". "A stadium of that size at the age Hampden is at needs a lot of money to be spent on it. "We are probably getting close to £2m per year. Just on keeping the stadium going, trying to fix roof leaks, trying to keep the lights on. It's a big operation - it's a big beast. "The strategy for us is we've got changes and upgrades we need to do. We know we have a problem from a roof perspective."

'There will be tweaks and upgrades' | SFA confirm Hampden improvements for Euro 2028 | Video | Watch TV Show | Sky Sports

Scottish FA Chief Executive Ian Maxwell confirms that Hampden Park will undergo "tweaks and upgrades" improvements in order to be ready to host matches at Euro 2028.

"There will be changes made to the stadium in terms of preparations for Euro 2028. We need to be realistic about what those are. They will be tweaks and upgrades rather than anything substantial."

6 minutes ago, Donathan said:

I’m no expert on civil engineering the only two options that spring to mind for expansion would be to lower the pitch, remove the running track and add more rows of seating to the front, or remove the roof around the stands, build upwards and then put a new roof on (or option 3 of bulldoze the entire thing and rebuild it from scratch on the same site). In any case a decision would need to be made soon given that the tournament is less than five years away.

Converting the East and West stands to safe standing might be an option to boost capacity (assuming such a setup is allowed at the Euros).

14 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Hampden Park rebuild 'not going to happen' - SFA chief executive Ian Maxwell - BBC Sport

SFA chief in Hampden u-turn as Ian Maxwell reveals why redevelopment is 'not going to happen' | The Scottish Sun

SFA Chief Executive Ian Maxwell says Hampden Park redevelopment is "not going to happen" as he makes a U-turn on national stadium plans.

The Tartan Army have got the place rocking in recent years as Steve Clarke's side continue to restore pride in the Scotland Men's team. But one of the main criticisms of the ground is that fans are too far away from the pitch, with a large running track separating spectators and the action on the field. With the stadium seeing its last major development in 1999, talks for expansion had been brought up for a now-abandoned UK World Cup 2030 bid. And earlier this month images were released about what that dream could look like.

But Maxwell says any revamp is off the cards.

When asked about bringing stands closer to the pitch, Maxwell told BBC Scotland's Sportsound: "We talked previously about redevelopment and reconfiguration and bringing the ends in. "That was in the context of a World Cup 2030 bid and, at that point, we thought we might be able to raise some significant income from the UK government or otherwise. "I think it was Stuttgart that brought their ends in and that cost them approximately 90million euros, but that was pre-Covid and that's now 100m-plus. "And, with the best will in the world, if someone can give us 100-odd million euros, we have far more important things to do with that in terms of growing the game and opportunities to play and transforming lives than doing the stadium."

It comes as leaks in the Hampden roof were spotted as torrential rain interrupted Scotland's Euro 2024 qualifier against Georgia.

Maxwell said that repairs are "an ongoing process". "A stadium of that size at the age Hampden is at needs a lot of money to be spent on it. "We are probably getting close to £2m per year. Just on keeping the stadium going, trying to fix roof leaks, trying to keep the lights on. It's a big operation - it's a big beast. "The strategy for us is we've got changes and upgrades we need to do. We know we have a problem from a roof perspective."

'There will be tweaks and upgrades' | SFA confirm Hampden improvements for Euro 2028 | Video | Watch TV Show | Sky Sports

Scottish FA Chief Executive Ian Maxwell confirms that Hampden Park will undergo "tweaks and upgrades" improvements in order to be ready to host matches at Euro 2028.

"There will be changes made to the stadium in terms of preparations for Euro 2028. We need to be realistic about what those are. They will be tweaks and upgrades rather than anything substantial."

Yes looks like those sources have made assumptions based on the World Cup 2030 bid proposal.

10 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

Converting the East and West stands to safe standing might be an option to boost capacity (assuming such a setup is allowed at the Euros).

I thought the idea of safe standing is that everyone needs their own area to stand on rather than an old fashioned terracing free for all? So I’m not clear on how safe standing would increase the capacity. 

10 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

I'm sure standing isn't allowed for tournaments. Dortmunds ground has 2 capacities for example , one for standing and one for seated. 

I'd just demolish everything up to and including Prospecthill Road. Be sure not to miss Stanmore road and that'll kill two birds with one stone. It'll create extra space to redevelop Hampden and get rid of those shite streets.

The lack of redevelopment of Hampden park for this obviously, but in general is a joke.

Not withstanding the piss poor design, it was done on the cheap at the time and even then two sides were done 30 years ago now. By the time of the tournament, two stands will be 35 years old with little internal investment in each (aside from the half arsed reconfigured external bits).

I get to some, 1993 doesn't seem that long ago, but if you apply the 35 years back from that, works done in 1958 would have seemed far too old.

If Maxwell doesn't think the distance behind the goals is a problem, stick the hospitality and VIP seats there and I'm pretty sure he'd get a quick opinion change.

I get the sentimentality of Hampden, but when you look at the other stadiums for the tournament, it is by a long long way the worst. Take the scotland fans creation of the atmosphere out and you wouldn't touch it with a barge pole for a major international game. 

Hope there’s another pandemic and the whole thing gets cancelled. It’s not a UK and Ireland bid it’s an England bid with a game or 2 elsewhere, our games will be at the worst stadium we could have picked. Finally, both semis and the final are at Wembley again. Scotland Ireland and Wales should have told the FA to get to f**k. 

45 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

I get the sentimentality of Hampden, but when you look at the other stadiums for the tournament, it is by a long long way the worst. Take the scotland fans creation of the atmosphere out and you wouldn't touch it with a barge pole for a major international game. 

I love Hampden, but selecting it for Euro 2028 is embarrassing when placed alongside modern stadia. 

Edited by 2426255

8 minutes ago, The Golden God said:

Hope there’s another pandemic and the whole thing gets cancelled. It’s not a UK and Ireland bid it’s an England bid with a game or 2 elsewhere, our games will be at the worst stadium we could have picked. Finally, both semis and the final are at Wembley again. Scotland Ireland and Wales should have told the FA to get to f**k. 

What a pile of absolute nonsense. 55% of the games are in England, in a country which represents 75% of the total population of the UK and Ireland combined.

Besides, wishing another event that could kill hundreds of thousands is not millions of people is an absolutely scummy response to this.