Dundee FC New Stadium Thread

I was repeating what Dundee fans who had posted elsewhere had said as to why you had to move from Dens. One I spoke to IRL was explaining how you couldn't knock it down to replace/expand etc, but also how you were gonna sell the ground and houses would be built on it. I had assumed the bit he was havering about was how it could be knocked down to make houses but not a new stand, not that it was listed at all.

8 minutes ago, Alan_G said:

I was repeating what Dundee fans who had posted elsewhere had said as to why you had to move from Dens. One I spoke to IRL was explaining how you couldn't knock it down to replace/expand etc, but also how you were gonna sell the ground and houses would be built on it. I had assumed the bit he was havering about was how it could be knocked down to make houses but not a new stand, not that it was listed at all.

There’s certainly someone on here that has been havering……

14 minutes ago, Alan_G said:

Can see here that it's not listed:

https://hesportal.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Viewer/index.html?appid=18d2608ac1284066ba3927312710d16d

I think the biggest issue with Dens site is just size.  While it's total footprint is enormous compared to nearly any other ground in Scotland, it's only big for a stadium on it's own and nowhere near big enough to house all of the supporting projects that are essential to finance the whole thing.  It was never seen as an issue for any of our previous owners to just rebuild on site which is hardly surprising given their collective lack of business ability.  Our current owners unsettlingly seem to know what they're doing and staying put just doesn't work for them financially.

Edited by stu2910

Personally, as a non Dundee fan, I really want to see this built. Obviously still would want Dundee to lose on the pitch, but I'd rather see all of our clubs thriving off it and much better for home and away fans going to a properly configured modern stadium. Yes, there will be loses from dens in terms of history and character, but for me, far outweighed by the benefits it would bring.

Not an expert on planning in Dundee, but I cannot see that there should be any massive barriers there to it bring build. Not really near houses and if a new access of the Kingsway is made, bar for an hour or so every other Saturday  it will not have a massive impact surely.

I do have some scepticism as to whether the thing actually materialises any time soon. Not because I don't think the owners want it or anything, but its been mooted for such a long time, like other stadiums (Aberdeen being the big comparison), that until there is spades in the ground folk will be cautious. 

Dens should be like Highbury, just leave the stands up and build houses on the pitch.

That article by Nelms is brilliant.

Those fans and observers who understandably defaulted to a ‘we’ll believe it when we see it’ on stadium plans will have discovered that our Planning Permission in Principle (PPiP) documentation landed on the Dundee City Council planning website like an electronic equivalent of a cargo plane.

Heh. Check it out, we've sent an email to the Coonsul! And you naysayers said nobody at Dens knew how to work the computer!

Obviously the last thing we want to do is to hand an opportunity to our rivals, we may not get the same price as if it was sold for housing and it might be a little painful for the site to be in their hands, but I've always wondered if Utd would fancy buying Dens.

They are never going to get an opportunity like this again to create their own football complex without moving home.  They could essentially stop using St Andrews and have Tannadice & Gussie, plus another pitch or 2 plus fitness suites etc all virtually on one site.  Cue inevitable comment about Dens already being their training ground, but they'd be daft not to at least think about it.  Whether we'd sell to them is another matter.

Excluding racecourses Scotland only has 6 listed stands:

Grade A - Main Stand, Netherdale, Galashiels
1280px-Gala_Fairydean_2010-06-10_17.17.5

Grade A - Pavilion, The Grange, Edinburgh
Exe0ulmXIAQWIkn.jpg:large

Grade B - Main Stand, Ibrox, Glasgow1280px-Ibrox_Bill_Struth_Main_Stand.JPG

Grade B - Grandstand, Northern Meeting Ground, Inverness
Morrison-meeting-park_24Nov2023.jpg

Grade B - Ayr Dam Park
200394569-304178-800.jpg

Grade C - St Andrews RFC
484a3118.jpg

Edited by HibeeJibee

I used to sit and watch Inverness City (RIP) in the North Juniors in that grandstand at the Northern Meeting Park.

Remember hanging about in an always wet Dam Park in Ayr to see various things when I was a young 'un. Had a summer job once in the old Kyle + Carrick  District Council yard just behind it too. 

Edited by Lanky Highlander
typo

2 hours ago, Dosser1886 said:

About as much chance of this happening as the Aberdeen fantasy.

Seem to read this opinion a lot, so genuinely, why do you think that?

It seems to be the standard position in this country that anything positive or ambitious just won’t happen.

Edited by stu2910

2 hours ago, Dosser1886 said:

About as much chance of this happening as the Aberdeen fantasy.

It's driving force is money and they haven't hid that at any point. 

This is much more likely than the Aberdeen fantasy.

25 minutes ago, stu2910 said:

Seem to read this opinion a lot, so genuinely, why do you think that?

It seems to be the standard position in this country that anything positive or ambitious just won’t happen.

All for positivity and ambition but also realism. Every teams board likes to dangle this carrot at some point with very little ever coming from it unfortunately. There just does not ever seem to be the finances available to ever make it viable or achievable.

The Aberdeen one is a classic example seemed to be a done deal then crumbled.