The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

49 minutes ago, TheHitman said:

But will he want to stick with us? 

I suspect he would. Having a team being relegated to League One and then walking doesn’t look great on the CV. He’ll have had to have factored it in as a realistic possibility as well. 

13 hours ago, an86 said:

He inherited an absolute shambles. Even we go down, we should stick with him. 

I understand wanting a bit of stability (something we've not had in a while), but if we get relegated Davidson will have played a massive part in that. There would be a very strong case for getting rid and starting again with someone who's done well at that level before.

1 hour ago, Zanetti said:

I understand wanting a bit of stability (something we've not had in a while), but if we get relegated Davidson will have played a massive part in that. There would be a very strong case for getting rid and starting again with someone who's done well at that level before.

You can’t really rebuild a squad in January and you’re basically taking what you can get from the slim pickings. For me, the overwhelming majority of the damage this season has been caused by people who are no longer at the club, both at football and executive level. If the worst happens he’s obviously not totally blameless, but there have been enough flashes since he came in to show me he’s got something to offer. 

2 hours ago, an86 said:

I suspect he would. Having a team being relegated to League One and then walking doesn’t look great on the CV. He’ll have had to have factored it in as a realistic possibility as well. 

I’m a worried Pars fan, if McPake walks or is pushed he could well end up at us. We have form for giving relegated managers a job 😵‍💫🥴🤯

11 minutes ago, an86 said:

You can’t really rebuild a squad in January and you’re basically taking what you can get from the slim pickings. For me, the overwhelming majority of the damage this season has been caused by people who are no longer at the club, both at football and executive level. If the worst happens he’s obviously not totally blameless, but there have been enough flashes since he came in to show me he’s got something to offer. 

Couldn’t agree more. The thought of us going the way of every other Scottish Club and binning managers due to unrealistic expectations scares me.

We have no divine right to be a Championship Club and could reasonably argue we have overachieved in being so. 

Recruitment and the squad depth last summer was a massive issue and we are still very thin on the ground in that regard. 

Half a season of terrific football (first half of last year) does not make us a Championship outfit. In truth since then we have struggled to cope with the physical demands of the league which is hardly surprising given the age and profile of our squad. We still look incredibly lightweight.

Certainly willing to give CD time to see what we look like next season whatever league we are playing in and I don’t buy in to the idea that relegation would be the disaster that some are making it out to be.

44 minutes ago, On the bench said:

Couldn’t agree more. The thought of us going the way of every other Scottish Club and binning managers due to unrealistic expectations scares me.

We have no divine right to be a Championship Club and could reasonably argue we have overachieved in being so. 

Recruitment and the squad depth last summer was a massive issue and we are still very thin on the ground in that regard. 

Half a season of terrific football (first half of last year) does not make us a Championship outfit. In truth since then we have struggled to cope with the physical demands of the league which is hardly surprising given the age and profile of our squad. We still look incredibly lightweight.

Certainly willing to give CD time to see what we look like next season whatever league we are playing in and I don’t buy in to the idea that relegation would be the disaster that some are making it out to be.

If you compare attendances in the Championship and League One (without Falkirk) then it paints a very stark picture in terms of income. Relegation would be disasterous from that point of view.

12 minutes ago, Stuntiethumper said:

If you compare attendances in the Championship and League One (without Falkirk) then it paints a very stark picture in terms of income. Relegation would be disasterous from that point of view.

Aye. We have to get ourselves into a way of thinking that Haughey’s money isn’t always going to be there. Take his money away, stick us in League One and the trap door becomes an issue for us again. 

57 minutes ago, On the bench said:

I don’t buy in to the idea that relegation would be the disaster that some are making it out to be

Relegation would be a disaster. There's a massive difference between a Championship club and a League 1 club in terms of finances, wages, attendances, community engagement, club structure and of course, the players & non-playing staff. If we go down, we'll have to be a completely different club. 

1 hour ago, On the bench said:

Nobody thinks we have a divine right to be playing Championship football, but if 5 years into the club paying significant wages to players and off field personnel, investing in training facilities and coaches, and this season also footing the bill to rent a massive and no doubt expensive stadium which we used to own, we find ourselves back in League One then that would at the very least be a considerable failure if not a disaster.

I very much doubt Haughey has spent however much he has spent to watch us play Stirling Albion four times a year and would assume that Davidson will be under some pressure to ensure that if we do go down this season, we come straight back up again next year.  He should probably be given the opportunity to squad build in the summer so at the very least he lives/dies by his team and not Veldman/Beukers’.

What worries me slightly is that obstensibly he’s improved our attacking options with the addition of Sheridan, whilst getting a like for like, if not better screen in front of the defence in Welsh for Spong, but in doing so he’s almost halved the amount of goals scored, (even taking into account the six against Arbroath). We might be hard(er) to beat but if you can’t score you’re always likely to be looking over your shoulder and certainly won’t be troubling the top half of any league table; not ideal if you’re trying to maintain a presence in a very competitive Championship. I worry, given recent performances and throughout his time in Perth, he just might not be able to turn that around…..though will look forward to be proven wrong.

9 hours ago, an86 said:

He could possibly think he could brush the relegation off as inevitable due to the squad/situation he inherited, and it wouldn't be a huge black mark on his CV considering the double is still fresh in people's memories. Get out now and look for a better job rather than try to manage in the 3rd tier and potentially fail, which would be enough to put people off despite the double.

Just now, Anonymous Spider said:

Here’s one to ponder. How do we think Veldman would have got on this season if he had Sheridan, Wilson and Welsh (plus McKinstry & Scott) from the start?

The style of football and the stubbornness to deviate even slightly from it would still have ended in disaster imo. Ridiculously high line, trying to score the same goal constantly, whilst conceding the same one at the other end. Thrown under the bus by Beuker, but he didn’t help himself either. 

7 minutes ago, Anonymous Spider said:

Here’s one to ponder. How do we think Veldman would have got on this season if he had Sheridan, Wilson and Welsh (plus McKinstry & Scott) from the start?

He’d have lost us games by repeatedly subbing all three of them at the same time when a goal up with five minutes to go…………….followed each time by an interview where he talks about “learnings”

2 hours ago, Arachnophile said:

Will Tizzard makes the Radio Clyde Superscorebaord team of the week for some reason

Well deserved. I think he is massively underrated on here after one dismal showing at Airdrie and total humiliation by Veldman. He has performed well since coming back into the team and I think he has a promising future.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

He could possibly think he could brush the relegation off as inevitable due to the squad/situation he inherited, and it wouldn't be a huge black mark on his CV considering the double is still fresh in people's memories. Get out now and look for a better job rather than try to manage in the 3rd tier and potentially fail, which would be enough to put people off despite the double.

If a relegation threatened Queens Park was the best job he could get on the back of winning the double then it's hard to see how adding a relegation to his CV and then getting out would result in a better job than Queens Park.

If QP go down it would mean probably Hamilton coming up, meaning League 1 should be shooty-in for a side with QP's budget next season and someone like Paton under contract. It would be a really attractive job and I think he'd be daft to walk away at that point.