The Queen of the South thread

2 hours ago, Dobbie11 said:

Well I have blanked out yesterday today is about celebrating one of the best players ever to wear the Queens shirt , is goalscoring was just part of it ,his skill was unbelievable his assist at Dundee Utd was out of this world for Dykes to score .He always gave 100 percent for us .It was a pleasure to watch Dobbie in a Queens shirt and when he resigned it was like all our Christmas had came and first time was good but how good was he second time àround .So forget all the doom and celebrate  Sir Stephen,  as we won't see his like again. This love will last forever 

Dobbie was one of, if not the best player I've seen play against us outside the premier league. He's the only opposition player I've seen get a standing ovation when subbed from the Falkirk fans (and we were losing 3-0 so that was a painful day). The look of bemusement on his face as he left the pitch at TFS main stand was something else as he couldn't comprehend what was going on! It was just a pleasure to watch a genuinely top notch player in those days when we were starved of such quality ourselves. He's one of the few players I've seen in the "lower" leagues that I would have given my right arm to have signed for us for just one season. I can give him no higher praise than say he reminded me of one of our talismen - Stainrod (and we only had him for a season and a half), in terms of being able to change a game in a second with a flash of brilliance. Hope he gets a great turn out, he certainly deserves it for what he has given to Queens over the years.

3 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I was there yesterday, it was crap. It's not just about yesterday's result/ performance it's about a list of results and performances since the start of the season. This is Marvin's squad, he's given some poor players 2 year deals, can we trust him to get it right in this window? Your constant defending of him is admirable, if misguided imo, how bad do we have to be before you open your eyes and see that change needs to be made if we are to reach the promotion play-offs, which I'm fast giving up hope of anyway. Fair do's he's had a lot of player injury problems to deal with but the fact that the majority of these injuries are picked up at training also suggests he's getting that side of things wrong too. I was happy with his appointment, as most fans were imo, but you've sometimes got to hold your hands up and admit it's just not worked out. He may be the nicest man on earth and very eloquent, but unfortunately that counts for zip if he can't get his team to at least compete and try and win games at this level. I don't think Falkirk were at their best yesterday either but that makes it even more galling that we didn't even cause them any problems. Sorry, his times up as far as I'm concerned. 

Spot on.

4 hours ago, Swarley said:

How are Sean O'Connor's knees these days? Could we sign him until the end of the season? 

If not, I suspect Derek Lyle will still keep himself in shape and would be more likely to find the net on more occasions than either Hutchinson or Doherty.

Those at Palmerston today will be able to give a more accurate assessment though.

58 minutes ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

Dobbie was one of, if not the best player I've seen play against us outside the premier league. He's the only opposition player I've seen get a standing ovation when subbed from the Falkirk fans (and we were losing 3-0 so that was a painful day). The look of bemusement on his face as he left the pitch at TFS main stand was something else as he couldn't comprehend what was going on! It was just a pleasure to watch a genuinely top notch player in those days when we were starved of such quality ourselves. He's one of the few players I've seen in the "lower" leagues that I would have given my right arm to have signed for us for just one season. I can give him no higher praise than say he reminded me of one of our talismen - Stainrod (and we only had him for a season and a half), in terms of being able to change a game in a second with a flash of brilliance. Hope he gets a great turn out, he certainly deserves it for what he has given to Queens over the years.

Thanks for posting that, always good to hear appreciative views from fans of other clubs.

I could be here all day if I was to reminisce about Dobbie and his goals.  Strangely, one of my fondest memories was not one of his goals though.  We were up at McDiarmid Park in 2009 and beat St Johnstone 3-2 that day (Dobbie did score twice tbf).  But I remember him toying with the Saints defender Kevin Rutkiewicz in front of me near the corner flag - he nutmegged RK but then went back and waltzed past RK a second time, poor RK had no idea where the ball was ... I did actually feel sorry for him ... but only for a brief moment!

22 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Thanks for posting that, always good to hear appreciative views from fans of other clubs.

I could be here all day if I was to reminisce about Dobbie and his goals.  Strangely, one of my fondest memories was not one of his goals though.  We were up at McDiarmid Park in 2009 and beat St Johnstone 3-2 that day (Dobbie did score twice tbf).  But I remember him toying with the Saints defender Kevin Rutkiewicz in front of me near the corner flag - he nutmegged RK but then went back and waltzed past RK a second time, poor RK had no idea where the ball was ... I did actually feel sorry for him ... but only for a brief moment!

You're welcome, think he might have scored a hatrick that day? If not was another day at TFS. Scored yet another cracker into the home end.

Spookily my favourite memory of stainrod was also in a 3-1 or 3-2 win at McDiarmid park too. St Johnstone had just scored and he scored straight from the kick off 57.5 yards. Into wind and rain straight over Lindsay Hamilton?? Head (who'd been celebrating the equaliser in front of us). 

40 minutes ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

You're welcome, think he might have scored a hatrick that day? If not was another day at TFS. Scored yet another cracker into the home end.

Aye it was that game. He took his time getting it for as well as he played. Your GK actually did well against him that day. 

Good wee game. Ending 6-2 to Scotland (not 5-2 Mr PA man). Fair play to Brown flooring Dobbie for his penalty :lol: and shout out to 58 year old Colin Hendry putting in that many minutes. 

Good/depressing to see so many legends. We'll never field a team with as much talent as that again (2008 legends). Not a bad day way to pass a Sunday and Dobbie got a deserved send off ❤️

Yes, it was a nice occasion.  I was delighted by the size of the crowd.

I can never really be bothered with these matches themselves to be honest, but that's not the point.  It was good to be able to give Dobbie the send-off we'd been deprived of.

14 minutes ago, Alex Nesovic's Barmy Army said:

I assume the pa guy doesn't bother with such frivolous things as a team sheet when doing the announcing...

Announcing Dobbie's goal and falling him number nine...

If you're going to insist on pointlessly announcing the score of a game everyone is watching then it's wise to know what the score actually is. 

The guy is obviously trying something different to Alex and maybe I've just become accustomed to a less excitable announcer but everything the new guy says makes me cringe. Shame Dan can't do it permanently as he's much better. 

2 hours ago, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

If not, I suspect Derek Lyle will still keep himself in shape and would be more likely to find the net on more occasions than either Hutchinson or Doherty.

Those at Palmerston today will be able to give a more accurate assessment though.

I would definitely offer Derek Lyle a contract for the rest of the season. Some lovely touches and movement from him today. 

3 minutes ago, MallanandFlanagan said:

I would definitely offer Derek Lyle a contract for the rest of the season. Some lovely touches and movement from him today. 

Clearly continuing to look after himself. Has a striker's instinct that's still clear to see. Genuinely would rather have him than Hutchinson and Doherty based on what I've seen of them. 

With today marking the one year anniversary of Bartley's appointment - aye, thanks @Bairn in Exile for reminding us 😡 - I thought I'd check my records to confirm something I suspected to be true but was trying to convince myself wasn't.

Under Bartley, Lewis Gibson has either been subbed on or off in every single game he has featured in.  Prior to Bartley's arrival he played the full 90+ minutes on six occasions under either his father or Murray.   McKechnie, by comparison, has been on the pitch for the full entirety of eight games already this season.

Bartley clearly doesn't seem to rate Gibson.  He needs to go before Gibson does.

ETA - what a difference to go to Palmerston and enjoy the occasion as much as I did today 🙂

Edited by Slipmat

40 minutes ago, Slipmat said:

Bartley clearly doesn't seem to rate Gibson.  He needs to go before Gibson does.

It's getting more and more likely we'll see Gibson go before Bartley, sadly. 

2 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

For a testimonial, that was an entertaining watch this afternoon. Delighted to see a good turnout, and to be able to give the man the send off he deserves. We’ll never see another like him. 

I never have, and probably never will see a better player for Queens than Stephen Dobbie.

Not only that, he clearly loved the club which was evident each time he stepped on the park. A true Queen of the South legend. 

The thing is, he could probably still do a job for us too. 

Stephen Dobbie 💙