The Queen of the South thread

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Homer Thompson said:

Well, I guess one person knows. 

Maybe more than one 🤔

meee 😇 - we have chatted on that before and @Mon_The_South can haud his wheesht. Its all for the love of queens....

4 minutes ago, Brother Grimm said:

There's plenty rumours flying around about why the TF folded. 

oh? Love a good rumour 😆

Edited by Baghdad_QoS

3 hours ago, the philosopher said:

Bartley had full back Oscar McIntyre on loan to Dec. - didn't get much out of him.

Vastly improved under Murphy from Jan. onwards. 

Not C McM or PW for the credit ? Just saying 

2 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

You guys were third last season. 

In that case though you'll be pleased he's gone ;)

Ive never hidden the fact. The introduction of C McM changed a bottom of the table team heading for the LL to 4th finish. Since then Peter Watson is coaching and obviously Wullie on the park. 

6 hours ago, JTulip said:

The shares are held by the Trust and the membership is open to all and can change and will change as the years go on. People join re join leave come back etc. Currently there are 115 members but a few years ago it was over 300 when the membership drive was really pushed for the whole close season. 

So really rather than saying "Help give fans a stronger voice", it would have been more accurate to say "Help give the Trust a stronger voice" or "Help give 115 selected fans a stronger voice".

As a matter of genuine interest, who in the Trust decides on how Trust funds are to be spent?  Do all members get a say?  What happens if there is an approximate 50/50 split on, say, whether the Trust should sponsor a player?  It's rare in any walk of life for all members of an organisation to be singing from the same hymnsheet all of the time.

23 minutes ago, annan4eva said:

Not C McM or PW for the credit ? Just saying 

No Murphy I would say.

C McM was a very prolific goalscorer with a great career but in his only SPFL managerial role with Stenhousemuir he saw them relegated from League 1 and was later sacked.

PW is just in door regarding coaching,too early to judge.

46 minutes ago, Slipmat said:

So really rather than saying "Help give fans a stronger voice", it would have been more accurate to say "Help give the Trust a stronger voice" or "Help give 115 selected fans a stronger voice".

As a matter of genuine interest, who in the Trust decides on how Trust funds are to be spent?  Do all members get a say?  What happens if there is an approximate 50/50 split on, say, whether the Trust should sponsor a player?  It's rare in any walk of life for all members of an organisation to be singing from the same hymnsheet all of the time.

It’s all about the TRUST and nothing else. They’re obsessed with trying to have some sort of say on how the club is being run and a seat on the board 🙄

7 hours ago, Palmerstunned said:

Really good first interview (although admittedly the bar is extremely low after some of Bartley’s efforts).

You’d have to assume that any incoming manager would want some reassurances about the club before accepting the job, so on that basis I think there’s a couple of key questions answered here…

Full-time/part-time - Given Murphy’s emphasis on wanting to manage full- time football, I think this confirms that we will continue as a full-time team next season.

New Board - he mentions the new board coming in. As a friend of McLinden, I assume he’s aware of the Board situation and sought some reassurances before accepting the job, so this indicates the Board situation may be close to being resolved.

Positive to hear him talk about bringing some physicality into the squad - I know we’d all love to see Queens playing silky football like Man City or Real Madrid, but the reality of this division is that strength and speed get results. We’ve definitely lacked physical presence in all areas of the park for a number of seasons now.

Also good to hear him mention bringing the fans back in and getting a buzz back about the place! This was one of Bartley’s biggest failings, he just didn’t seem to care or think it was his job.

It’s amazing the difference a few weeks can make - I’ve gone from feeling completely despondent about the worst Queens team in a long time, to feeling positive about next season and getting behind the team.

Appreciate its very early days and a lot has still to happen, but nice to have some much needed hope again! 

Certainly got me hoping and more upbeat 👍 The new director wouldn’t get Murphy in just because it’s his mate and visa versa Murphy wouldn’t have taken it unless assured of budget, direction of club etc. Hopefully improved times ahead for queens. The new director certainly hasn’t fecked about. Cheerio Bartley 💰, Murphy in within a week-I like the guys style and a genuine football man too. 👏 👏 

2 hours ago, annan4eva said:

Ive never hidden the fact. The introduction of C McM changed a bottom of the table team heading for the LL to 4th finish. Since then Peter Watson is coaching and obviously Wullie on the park. 

Experience off and on the park, who would have thought that would have helped?

1 hour ago, Big Chopper said:

Certainly got me hoping and more upbeat 👍 The new director wouldn’t get Murphy in just because it’s his mate and visa versa Murphy wouldn’t have taken it unless assured of budget, direction of club etc. Hopefully improved times ahead for queens. The new director certainly hasn’t fecked about. Cheerio Bartley 💰, Murphy in within a week-I like the guys style and a genuine football man too. 👏 👏 

It was a positive interview from the new manager. You wouldn’t anything else though. 

In terms of the new director not fucking about and sacking Bartley. I would imagine there will have been a GTF clause in his contract, if he didn’t make the play offs. That probably explains why he wasn’t binned before now. 

Still, it is good to see the changes coming. Hopefully, the new board will be in place by the end of the month as previously detailed too. That will make me feel much better about things. 

11 hours ago, annan4eva said:

Murphy at Annan

season 1 L 2,7 th .season 2 L2 , 4th .season 3 L2 , 7th season 4 L2, 8th. season 5 L2, 3rd.  season 6 L2, 4th. season 7 L1, 8th.

No Pep G ? 

Lets put some meat to the bones.

2017/18 Chapman did a runner to Clyde and Murphy had no time to assemble a squad. 7th finish

2017/18 4th. Finish ie. Play Offs

2019/20 Covid season terminated after27 games 7th.finish

2020/21 another short season due to Covid 22 games 8th finish

2021/22 3rd. ie. Play Offs

2022/23 3rd again Play Off winners and promotion.

2023/24 8th. Survival in League 1 with reputedly the smallest budget.

OK not Pep G but 3 play offs out of 6 seasons in league 2 , not bad to be fair.

6 hours ago, the philosopher said:

2017/18 Chapman did a runner to Clyde and Murphy had no time to assemble a squad. 7th finish

A cracking, solid job. Work on a tight budget and smaller squad with largely local boys. Don’t get the negativity towards the appointment, we have done young and untested. Murphy has 7 seasons in the bank, a steady set of hands for me which the club is needing. The job this season with annan was nothing short of remarkable giving what they were up against. The last quarter especially. 

hoping to see us dip back to Annan, for 2/3 players, Luissinit especially giving the season he had and the obvious impact Murphy etc had on him. Galloway possibly another, Douglas always impressed but unsure on his job circumstance 

52 minutes ago, qos1990 said:

hoping to see us dip back to Annan, for 2/3 players, Luissinit especially giving the season he had and the obvious impact Murphy etc had on him. Galloway possibly another, Douglas always impressed but unsure on his job circumstance 

Yep, think these three will be odds on to make the move with Murphy. A real hammer blow to Annan's squad if it happens.  Somehow I don't think any of the ex Queens contingent will be that keen on going back to Palmerston...

Would also expect moves for Kilsby and Nugent, both impressed at Galabank and now released by Carlisle. 

If he is now free of the limited budget at Annan Reece Lyons at Kelty and Michael Garrity,  Morton, are players Murphy rates but didn't have the funds available for them. 

Best of luck Mr Murphy. Thanks for the past seven years and fully expect to see you back at Brunton Park in the not too distant future.

1 hour ago, Hauftimedraw said:

Yep, think these three will be odds on to make the move with Murphy. A real hammer blow to Annan's squad if it happens.  Somehow I don't think any of the ex Queens contingent will be that keen on going back to Palmerston...

Would also expect moves for Kilsby and Nugent, both impressed at Galabank and now released by Carlisle. 

If he is now free of the limited budget at Annan Reece Lyons at Kelty and Michael Garrity,  Morton, are players Murphy rates but didn't have the funds available for them. 

Best of luck Mr Murphy. Thanks for the past seven years and fully expect to see you back at Brunton Park in the not too distant future.

Garrity in discussions with Morton, he’s one I was hoping for but can’t see it now 

10 hours ago, the philosopher said:

Can’t argue with those facts other you’ve blamed Covid more times than John Swinney in his first speech as FM. 

2 hours ago, Hauftimedraw said:

This will all be dependent on who Annans next manager is ?

4 hours ago, qos1990 said:

A cracking, solid job. Work on a tight budget and smaller squad with largely local boys. Don’t get the negativity towards the appointment, we have done young and untested. Murphy has 7 seasons in the bank, a steady set of hands for me which the club is needing. The job this season with annan was nothing short of remarkable giving what they were up against. The last quarter especially. 

Surely our first dip into Annan squad should be to try and get Tommy Goss then Luissinit both have the physical presence we need .

Goss at times a bit raw but with his size he will get and players roundabout him goals .The problem signing any part time player  is money they will make more working and playing part time very difficult to persuade any player to sign  full time on less money .

We can only hope Murphy has been given a competitive budget certainly more  than Bartley had  or it will be very difficult to get the players in he  wants .

On the present squad really only Lewis Gibson is a stand out for me possibly try and keep  Connelly and Todd but not bothered about anyone else .

36 minutes ago, Greenacres said:

Surely our first dip into Annan squad should be to try and get Tommy Goss then Luissinit both have the physical presence we need .

Goss at times a bit raw but with his size he will get and players roundabout him goals .The problem signing any part time player  is money they will make more working and playing part time very difficult to persuade any player to sign  full time on less money .

We can only hope Murphy has been given a competitive budget certainly more  than Bartley had  or it will be very difficult to get the players in he  wants .

On the present squad really only Lewis Gibson is a stand out for me possibly try and keep  Connelly and Todd but not bothered about anyone else .

Doubt Tommy will go full time again

4 hours ago, Greenacres said:

Goss is a donkey and I would rather have Aidan Smith and Lussint if we are shopping in that pool. Gibson yes, Todd for me is done.