The Queen of the South thread

I'd blame the board for not getting shot of him while we still had a chance of staying up.

TBH I don't think they were all that bothered about the prospect of being relegated, as evidenced by offering Gus a contract extension when we were bottom of the league in late February.

To be fair, they did eventually get rid of him, but could have done it sooner. However, maybe the cost of that would have produced a small loss and it was more important to them to obtain a small profit.

Did they or did he walk?

Recent events didn't seem to put off an impressive travelling support ( considering holiday period as well) so thats good. Durnan yes, Young no, Lyle looked hungry when introduced, Robinson solid and one excellent save , Holt overlapped superbly , Smith very lively and great crosses apart from some poor finishes . Let me say one more thing about Clark. Yes, he did miss a few but his workrate was something else even robbing a Dumbarton player of the ball that he had no right to win . This resulted in a good chance missed . In fact , there were so many opportunities squandered that its difficult to know where to start. I predict a long season for the ' sons of the rock'.

Hmm, that didn't work out well for you, did it?

Ok, he scored, fair enough, still think Reilly is better. If he's in on merit, I can accept, if he's in because his father is assistant manager, then sorry, I can't.

I'd blame the board for not getting shot of him while we still had a chance of staying up.

TBH I don't think they were all that bothered about the prospect of being relegated, as evidenced by offering Gus a contract extension when we were bottom of the league in late February.

To be fair, they did eventually get rid of him, but could have done it sooner. However, maybe the cost of that would have produced a small loss and it was more important to them to obtain a small profit.

To be honest, I wouldn't particularly blame the board for the relegation. The appointment of McPherson seemed sensible enough at the time. They might have bumped him earlier, but most clubs would probably have offered him the chance to turn things round in similar circumstances.

What the relegation does though is cancel out any praise that might have been available for turning a profit. Any idiots can cut costs as ours have ably demonstrated. The clever bit is cutting costs without doing the team too much harm.

If I improve the health of my family's finances by making some sacrifices but getting by happily enough, I deserve a pat on the back.

If I improve the health of my family's finances but we all starve as a result, it's less of a triumph.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

In fairness, clark should have scored about 6 himself, and it would have taken skill to miss the chance he did take.

Goals win games and Clark missed a number of glorious chances, which as a striker he should be scoring. We released two youngsters at the end of last season that would have netted a couple of those each. Going by the law of averages Clark was eventually going to score but in most games we won't be afforded that luxury. Sorry but there should be no room for family sentiment in the team.

I know it's all hypothetical but if Danny hadn't created another chance for him and we had ended up losing the game, what would everyone be saying today?

Edited by Hawk

Ok, he scored, fair enough, still think Reilly is better. If he's in on merit, I can accept, if he's in because his father is assistant manager, then sorry, I can't.

Irrespective of who they are, all players in the team should be there on merit. We can't afford to be carrying any passengers this season. That's what put us in the division we are in, thanks to our last manager.:(

Edited by Hawk

Couldn't someone have a word with Norman Blount and get him to come back? All the hard work he and Ronnie Bradford achieved has very quickly been eroded by the current BoD.

Well done to the team for winning their first game of the season. Anyone any idea of the size of the travelling support? Does it look like recent events have affected numbers?

Hi Swarley , I thought about half the crowd or maybe a wee bit less were Queens fans . Very impressive considering its holiday time and all the old faces were there . Noticed loads there that had shown their dissent on here and Qos Mad . I would say the pull and feeling for the club is far greater than any other factors .

Are you serious?

There has never, ever been a worse time to get behind the board and I never will as long as it's composed of these idiots.

No matter what your opinion is of the board, it's surely best to support the team; the boys on the park and make your thoughts known in a positive manner.

I share most of your views on the current BOD, but maybe we as fans should talk about how we can make our thoughts and desires known in a positive way.

If we all just turn our backs then the club we love will just die.

No matter what your opinion is of the board, it's surely best to support the team; the boys on the park and make your thoughts known in a positive manner.

I share most of your views on the current BOD, but maybe we as fans should talk about how we can make our thoughts and desires known in a positive way.

If we all just turn our backs then the club we love will just die.

I've no plans to turn my back on the team, although that's obviously entirely up to me. However, in the post you quote, I was responding to being told I should "get behind Queens AND the board". No chance.

Do you realise that in deciding to ride roughshod over fan opinion, the board would have considered that this would all blow over soon and they could therefore get away with it? All this talk from fans of uniting behind the club shows they were right.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

Hi Swarley , I thought about half the crowd or maybe a wee bit less were Queens fans . Very impressive considering its holiday time and all the old faces were there . Noticed loads there that had shown their dissent on here and Qos Mad . I would say the pull and feeling for the club is far greater than any other factors .

As you say a very impressive turn out considering. MrGoo crew are an entertaining bunch and the video on the Mad site is quality. I hope we get a good draw in the next round tomorrow and get a similar result next week at home to Alloa.

It will be interesting to see what size of crowd we get and what if any response there is to the board.

Edited by Hawk

Thats what gets me Bigdave . Would these people who are boycotting Palmerston or advocating doing so , get together in the future saying " we didn't have f**k them up " if their actions meant Queen Of The South Fc sinking into the abyss. All because of the daft actions of two or three people only here temporarily . Think the present and future well being of our club is far , far, far more important