The Queen of the South thread

I think we'll take decent away supports this year, the home gate will take the hit though.

Think if we,re challenging for promotion our crowds will be much the same or even better than last season.

Thats what gets me Bigdave . Would these people who are boycotting Palmerston or advocating doing so ,

I've not seen much evidence of them though JR. Some of us are more disillusioned than others, but there's been no concerted boycott movement at all.

I've not seen much evidence of them though JR. Some of us are more disillusioned than others, but there's been no concerted boycott movement at all.

Disillusioned is your right MK . I think most of the " thats me finished with them" was in the initial aftermath of the decision and the anger that followed . The bigger picture is the manager and team and any potential action that could compromise them was/ is a complete no -no . By all means be dissatisfied with those running the club and if there was a way of showing this without impacting on the club itself , well, I would say do it.

To be fair on the highlights Grindlay looked like he had a good/fortunate game.

I don’t think there is a problem with being rusty in front of goal at this stage of the season the main thing is they looked dangerous and creative going forward which is a welcome change.

McGuffie looked a little slugish getting ripped a new one a couple of minute's into the highlights, did he have a good game over all?

By all means be dissatisfied with those running the club and if there was a way of showing this without impacting on the club itself , well, I would say do it.

My (admittedly pretty ineffectual) way is to have a whinge on here, but some people don't like it.

My (admittedly pretty ineffectual) way is to have a whinge on here, but some people don't like it.

I like your whinges, MT. I have joined in of course, as well as on the blog and the Mad site. There's nothing wrong with a good old fashioned whinge. Whinge away as far as I'm concerned.

Guest Flash

The difference betweeen now and the Harkness era is that back then there was no internet. People couldn't go on messageboards and say they were not going anymore because the facility didn't exist - they just stopped going.

I've not seen anybody advocating a boycott, only some expressing the view that they are so disenchanted that they might attend fewer games, or stop going altogether.

There are two ways of looking at this - those who think that if they don't stop going, nothing will change. And those who think that stopping going is self-defeating. Both are probably right.

I wonder what had the biggest impact in the Harkness days - those who went to games and protested, or those who protested by staying away, producing home crowds of about 400. There is an argument that if crowds are unaffected then nothing will ever change. If Queens were in the Third Division and getting 6,000 people there every second week, what would be the incentive to improve or change anything?

Finally, to those having a go at anybody who will miss some games in protest - don't direct your ire at fans who are temporarily sickened. Instead, pop round the pubs in Dumfries on a Saturday afternoon and tell the folk who never go to games that they should be at Palmerston because they have no excuse for not going and they should be ashamed of themselves for turning their back on their local club. Good luck with that.

The difference betweeen now and the Harkness era is that back then there was no internet. People couldn't go on messageboards and say they were not going anymore because the facility didn't exist - they just stopped going.

I've not seen anybody advocating a boycott, only some expressing the view that they are so disenchanted that they might attend fewer games, or stop going altogether.

There are two ways of looking at this - those who think that if they don't stop going, nothing will change. And those who think that stopping going is self-defeating. Both are probably right.

I wonder what had the biggest impact in the Harkness days - those who went to games and protested, or those who protested by staying away, producing home crowds of about 400. There is an argument that if crowds are unaffected then nothing will ever change. If Queens were in the Third Division and getting 6,000 people there every second week, what would be the incentive to improve or change anything?

Finally, to those having a go at anybody who will miss some games in protest - don't direct your ire at fans who are temporarily sickened. Instead, pop round the pubs in Dumfries on a Saturday afternoon and tell the folk who never go to games that they should be at Palmerston because they have no excuse for not going and they should be ashamed of themselves for turning their back on their local club. Good luck with that.

Mmm, Yes, certainly more folk ( and those in the pub) should be visiting Palmerston . I would class these people as sunshine supporters though because a few will appear again if Qos are sitting pretty near or at the top. These folk are staying away because the team isn`t doing that well and not any other reason . Yesterday, an older Queens fan said to me that attendances started to drop off when all day opening was introduced . Before that, the pubs shut at 2.30 , men went to football and were back for the re-opening at 5pm. ------Anyway,enough of that, the sad thing for me was hard core fans - and thats most on here , not all ) - were discussing non attendance as some way of getting back at the Rangers decision . A split in your bed - rock support is not ideal , especially with the potential harm to the club most of us have supported all our lives . As I said to MT, its his and your right to be pissed off at the board if you feel that strongly about it but the bigger picture is the health of the club . These guys didn`t speak for me, you or anyone else and as I said, they won`t be around for ever but we and our next generation fan base will be.

Edited by JRS LEFT PEG

. As I said to MT, its his and your right to be pissed off at the board if you feel that strongly about it but the bigger picture is the health of the club .

I agree, but the health or wellbeing of the club has been badly harmed and it's not the job of the blatantly disenfranchised fans to repair that damage.

I actually don't think we view things all that differently JR. The problem I have is that the rallying cries to get behind the boys are exactly what the board were banking on when giving us the finger.

I can't help being an impotent mug in all of this. but I don't need to volunteer for it enthusiastically.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

Queens are actually in quite a healthy position I'm lead to believe .

Turning a loss into a profit for the first time in a while.

If that was the only possible criterion for assessing the health of a football club, I'd be duly thrilled.

Just read Robertson's latest musings on the OS - it's got more holes in it than a sizeable slice of Emmental.

Could the BoD please just admit that they costed the potential loss of the SPL payment against the number of concerned emails received and therefore voted with only the Club's short-term finances in mind? All this guff about the carrot of potential league restructuring - and the well-worn "we didn't disregard the fans point of view" line - is simply a horseshite attempt at box-ticking. You can pull the wool over some eyes, but not all.

Robertson would be better advised to adopt a more conciliatory tone if he wants to defused the current situation. He might not have poured petrol on the bonfire with this latest post, but he's not really avoided fanning the flames either.

Just read Robertson's latest musings on the OS - it's got more holes in it than a sizeable slice of Emmental.

Could the BoD please just admit that they costed the potential loss of the SPL payment against the number of concerned emails received and therefore voted with only the Club's short-term finances in mind?

Even that would be no defence though. It had been established before the vote that there was to be no loss of the SPL payment. It was a legal requirement and could only drop (not disappear, mind) if SPL income dropped from around £22m to under £6m.

I actually now think I was too kind to them initially. The more I read from them and think about the situation, I'm convinced they voted for Newco to join SFL1 because they wanted to - simple as that. The complete lack of coherence in their noises since, simply proves that there was no real rationale behind it at all.

The fact that our club colluded in the Daily Record's propaganda battle on the day of the vote with that embarrassing Davie Rae interview also leaves a bitter taste.

I now believe that in analysing their words, we've been giving them too much credit.

Queens are actually in quite a healthy position I'm lead to believe .

Turning a loss into a profit for the first time in a while.

Do youse honestly believe that Queens made a profit last season? Would this profit include all the funding from the Trust (thanks Ross)? Did it come from a sudden sell-off of shares in our club (thanks Cheese man!)? Maybe someone opted to buy a small part of land in the car park (thanks Billy!)? I'm still flabbergasted that us real fans are not allowed to purchase shares under any circumstances. If some fans do stay away from home games this season, part-time football will return and the board will just blame us for not attending.

Hi Guys,

Sorry to crash your thread, long time p N B member here, i have just got a load of Queens Joma kit from last season and have uploaded it to my website at decent prices.

Unsure of best way to let Queens fans know about this as its a good chance to get yourself and kids kitted up for the new season, we got home shirts, away shirts, third shirts, training gear, leisure wear.

If anyone knows of best way to let other Queens fans know please let me know, but make sure you see to yourself first hehe

here is the link directly to the kit, flat rate postage charge for upto 6 items is only £2.50 for domestic, we also send stuff out worldwide.

Retro World Football Shirts - QUEEN OF THE SOUTH Kit Sale

Guest TOPFITTER

Be very surprised if Queens don't take a shot at taking Burns, miles down the order now.

Guess the biggest hurdle would be Dunfermline coming to an aarrangement with "BURNSY" to compensate him for ending his contract early, actual cash not promises of a settlement to come. After that would a Queens offer be substantial enough to tempt him ? Finally, would he be the type of player Magic could see fitting into the style of play he is trying to accomplish to get promotion.

My thoughts, no to first point, yes to the second two points.