The Queen of the South thread

17 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I rate Murphy massively as a boss. So I think that could be a very decent appointment. Not sure if it's been mentioned either, but Queens appointing a manager with very strong Carlisle ties is probably a decent move too? Especially if you aren't paying a lot for full-time football, where it could be difficult to attract central belt players.

We train in the central belt though, so that is probably just making it harder for us to recruit players from down Carlisle way.

14 minutes ago, QoS99 said:

We train in the central belt though, so that is probably just making it harder for us to recruit players from down Carlisle way.

Ah...

Scrap that then :lol:

1 hour ago, QoS99 said:

At the moment....

1 hour ago, QoS99 said:

Ahh! Remember the good old part time days when Weatherston, Bowey, Atkinson, etc, etc, travelled from Newcastle area to train midweek at Palmerston, surely a worse journey than full timers having to get from Carlisle to Hamilton. Does the West Coast Main line not pass through Hamilton.? Might be a problem if you want to get it at Lockerbie though.

Just now, Big Chopper said:

Opens up the north of England though 🤔 

Yeah that didn’t work with Connolly and was ditched as a strategy as the players that would improve us were on more than we could pay. Carlisle link could be positive though. Saying that it was weird about Kilsby as I thought he would be a world beater yet we ended up dropping him

2 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I rate Murphy massively as a boss. So I think that could be a very decent appointment. Not sure if it's been mentioned either, but Queens appointing a manager with very strong Carlisle ties is probably a decent move too? Especially if you aren't paying a lot for full-time football, where it could be difficult to attract central belt players.

Murphy at Annan

season 1 L 2,7 th .season 2 L2 , 4th .season 3 L2 , 7th season 4 L2, 8th. season 5 L2, 3rd.  season 6 L2, 4th. season 7 L1, 8th.

No Pep G ? 

1 minute ago, annan4eva said:

Murphy at Annan

season 1 L 2,7 th .season 2 L2 , 4th .season 3 L2 , 7th season 4 L2, 8th. season 5 L2, 3rd.  season 6 L2, 4th. season 7 L1, 8th.

No Pep G ? 

Still your best ever manager though....

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Ahh! Remember the good old part time days when Weatherson, Bowey, Atkinson, etc, etc, travelled from Newcastle. 

All 3 excellent for us. Unfortunately almost all of the  etc etc (and there was a big number of them) were hopeless. 

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

1 hour ago, Brother Grimm said:

Get Murphy a mini bus he can bring a few of them with him.

Nugent and Kilsby will likely be on the shopping list.

I wasn't impressed with Kilsby at all. But as much as I didn't rate Ferguson either, I did say a few weeks back that I wouldn't write him off as Bartley could have had McGinn at his disposal and make him look shite. Kilsby may well be a different player in Murphy's system. 

2 minutes ago, the philosopher said:

Bartley had full back Oscar McIntyre on loan to Dec. - didn't get much out of him.

Vastly improved under Murphy from Jan. onwards. 

Another good example but I didn't know just how well he got on at Annan. I've said a few times throughout this shitshow of a season that we had a decent squad. Bartley just had an incredible ability to get the absolute worst out of them. 

46 minutes ago, annan4eva said:

Murphy at Annan

No Pep G ? 

You guys were third last season. 

In that case though you'll be pleased he's gone ;)

1 hour ago, annan4eva said:

Murphy at Annan

No Pep G ? 

Pep G doesn’t work with minuscule budgets.  Annan are one of the smallest teams in the spfl  so he’s got you punching well above your weight.

2 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Ahh! Remember the good old part time days when Weatherston, Bowey, Atkinson, etc, etc, travelled from Newcastle area to train midweek at Palmerston, surely a worse journey than full timers having to get from Carlisle to Hamilton. Does the West Coast Main line not pass through Hamilton.? Might be a problem if you want to get it at Lockerbie though.

Aye the A69 road from Newcastle to Carlisle is as slow as hell after Hexham and miserable to drive if you are in a hurry.

The West Coast Mainline stops at Motherwell (doesn't go through Hamilton), but that's only a couple of miles from Hamilton anyway. But of course it only calls at Lockerbie and isn't on the Dumfries/Nithsdale line.

He might want to split training between Hamilton Palace and Dumfries though so that it's a compromise to suit all player locations. Whichever way he goes there's obviously a cost to the club.

5 hours ago, the tactician said:

How is it a total waste of supporters time?

If the club allowed fans to buy more shares they maybe would get a financial boost as it has shown by the trust that some supporters are willing to part with there money to help get more shares.

I don't see why people slate the trust as if its a bad thing.

Would have been good to see the tanner fund and trust work together at a time and try get supporters together but i was shocked when i read the tanner fund had finished up. Obviously must have wanted more of a say in the club finances than they were getting.

Anyway very happy with the appointment of Murphy and  looking forward to next season and will renew mine and my grandsons season tickets whenever they start selling them again. :)  

The Tanner Fund couldn't have knocked much harder on the club door offering their money in fairness.  What club refuses free cash?

The Tanner certainly didn't want any say in anything about the club, maybe being confused with the Trust?  The pushes from the Trust for shares and board membership stopped the chairman fully believing that the TF wanted to give them cash with no strings in fairness.  We will never know the intricate reasons bar the TF chairman standing down for personal reasons but he has certainly personally contributed more to the club in the last couple of years than he will let anyone know.  We certainly wouldn't have had Gavin here....

53 minutes ago, Mon_The_South said:

The Tanner Fund couldn't have knocked much harder on the club door offering their money in fairness.  What club refuses free cash?

The Tanner certainly didn't want any say in anything about the club, maybe being confused with the Trust?  The pushes from the Trust for shares and board membership stopped the chairman fully believing that the TF wanted to give them cash with no strings in fairness.  We will never know the intricate reasons bar the TF chairman standing down for personal reasons but he has certainly personally contributed more to the club in the last couple of years than he will let anyone know.  We certainly wouldn't have had Gavin here....

Well, I guess one person knows. 

Maybe more than one 🤔