The Queen of the South thread

I see where you're coming from but paying wages that high at our level is scandalous regardless of how good the player is. Cutting the wage bill is the quickest way to reduce our outgoings. The level of our ambition appears to be maintaining first division status if this can be done cheaper then it's a no brainer.

I agree. However, if we cut our wage bill drastically but no-one else does then maintaining our first division status becomes that much harder. If we cant afford to compete at this level, then so be it.

Yes, you're right.

Despite the glory of the cup run, which just served to accelerate the overspending, we never, over the period, mounted any serious title challenge, even before we consider what any stadium implications would have been.

It was ridiculous that people good enough at football to attract barely a couple of thousand people, could walk away with wages like those suggested.

I know that none of us - SD apart - really know what individuals earned. Simple calculations based on our outgoings, which wages dominate, would however strongly suggest that our higher earners probably were indeed making £50-60,000 per year.

Crazy and unsustainable.

The defence that other teams were doing it too, is not a good one.

That wasnt really what I meant. My point was that it doesnt really matter if we are only paying £14k if other teams in the division are paying comparable wages. It obviously matters if we're paying £14k and everyone else is paying £40k. I was suggesting we should spend the same as everyone else, just because, I was saying the quality of player we can bring in isnt just dictated by the wages we're offering. The wages everyone else are offering are also a factor

That wasnt really what I meant. My point was that it doesnt really matter if we are only paying £14k if other teams in the division are paying comparable wages. It obviously matters if we're paying £14k and everyone else is paying £40k. I was suggesting we should spend the same as everyone else, just because, I was saying the quality of player we can bring in isnt just dictated by the wages we're offering. The wages everyone else are offering are also a factor

Eh?? :blink:

Queens season ticket prices revealed:

http://qosfc.com/new...aspx?newsid=719

"It has been decided to retain prices at the same levels as last Season. Since January of this year VAT has been set at 20% an increase of 2.5%. This additional cost is being carried by the Club.

As explained above the Club will carry the increased VAT charge which is effectively a reduction in the price of admission for both pay at the gate and Season Tickets."

Does anyone else think they protest too much with this stuff?

Edited by Monkey Tennis

"It has been decided to retain prices at the same levels as last Season. Since January of this year VAT has been set at 20% an increase of 2.5%. This additional cost is being carried by the Club.

As explained above the Club will carry the increased VAT charge which is effectively a reduction in the price of admission for both pay at the gate and Season Tickets."

Does anyone else think they protest too much with this stuff?

Yes, that was my initial reaction. They seem to be rather over sensitive.

I can't help feeling the club have missed a trick with the OAP price as well, when a slight reduction would have sent a message to some of the 'lost' fans.

Yes, that was my initial reaction. They seem to be rather over sensitive.

I can't help feeling the club have missed a trick with the OAP price as well, when a slight reduction would have sent a message to some of the 'lost' fans.

Yes, I'm glad they've done away with the different prices for 12-16 year olds.

That was a PR problem last year, but the biggest one concerned the 67% increase in the charge for OAPs. A goodwill reduction on that one might have been nice, but I don't suppose it's easy to set them at an appropriate level when crowd sizes can fluctuate and are at the mercy of a lot of variables.

£17 for adults is, in itself, ridiculous for what we get to see, but in the context of the division, a relatively small increase last year, followed by a freeze this, is pretty reasonable.

Maybe I'm being unfair, but I find this " the club will carry the cost" stuff a bit irksome, given how much the fans have recently carried the cost of the club's mismanagement.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

Gus makes 2 more signings

Striker Kevin Smith from Notts County and Defender Mark Campbell from Raith

Starting to look like he is building a decent squad

Still need a

Right Back (Maybe McGuffie )

Left Back

Another Striker

Another Keeper

Midfield seems to be sorted now with Mckenna Simmons Johnston Carmichael and maybe Weatherston

Edited by DUMFRIES_CREW

Still need a

Right Back (Maybe McGuffie )

Left Back

Another Striker

Another Keeper

Midfield seems to be sorted now with Mckenna Simmons Johnston Carmichael and maybe Weatherston

I've been told that Queens are in for Marc McCusker - top scorer at Clyde last year with 14 goals (not bad, considering they were bottom !). He had a trial with an English League 1 club and was offered a deal, but turned them down because he wanted to say north of the border (also turned down a big offer - by their standards - from Clyde to stay). Don't know if he's up to a move to Div 1, but could be OK. I think this possibility has been posted on the Clyde P&B thread.

Edited by Bald Reynard

Good signings by Queens if you can keep them fit. Smith has a horrendous track record in terms of injuries which has always hampered him in the past. Not the fastest but gets into goal scoring positions. As for Sparky, he'll rarely be beaten in the air by anyone, but on the deck it is a different story. Definitely felt he was losing what tiny fraction of pace he had, which may cause problems. While he gave us more options in defence we had a stronger one before he returned. Can't grudge the guy anything mind, top bloke and delighted he's still in football.

Quite gutted that Queens have signed Campbell and Smith, will be hard to watch players that got hero worshipped at Starks Park line up against us sad.gif

It's already been said but Sparky will be unbeatable in the air but suspect when the balls on the ground, will probably get you a few goals from set pieces. Kevin Smith could probably score 15+ goals in this league if he stays injury free, he's a top finisher and is excellent with the ball at his feet.

After thinking Queens would struggle this year they're actually starting to look not too bad.

Yes, I'm glad they've done away with the different prices for 12-16 year olds.

That was a PR problem last year, but the biggest one concerned the 67% increase in the charge for OAPs. A goodwill reduction on that one might have been nice, but I don't suppose it's easy to set them at an appropriate level when crowd sizes can fluctuate and are at the mercy of a lot of variables.

£17 for adults is, in itself, ridiculous for what we get to see, but in the context of the division, a relatively small increase last year, followed by a freeze this, is pretty reasonable.

Maybe I'm being unfair, but I find this " the club will carry the cost" stuff a bit irksome, given how much the fans have recently carried the cost of the club's mismanagement.

As a matter of interest, to what extent do you think the fans have "carried the cost of mismanagement"? Despite the tendency for it to be claimed that the fans are doing everything, particularly on the MAD board, the answer in reality is "not an extraordinary amount". The Save Our South campaign has done some very good pr work undeniably but in financial terms has so far bought £6k worth of shares and sold some goods on the club's behalf from the shop in the High Street (and paid for merchandise that was sold pre Alba Cup final). The Barflies gave £5k straight away and the Fan Club wound up its account and handed over nearly £5k to the club too about the same time. An unnamed individual also gave £15,000.

The attendances actually went down last season after Mr Rae appealed for help (not particularly for that reason of course but it certainly can't be claimed the fans threw more gate receipts at the club).

A great many individual fans purchased shares over February and March too and some brought cash donations in to the office in that period. All of it very gratefully received but in the scheme of things, hardly carrying the cost of mismanagement. In general, whatever mess the Board have got themselves into, the Board have been busily getting themselves out of too.

As for prices, I know I'm hardly neutral but for what it's worth: I agree about the older children's price. I don't think it should ever have been changed. Part of the reason it was was because it was clearly being abused on a walk up basis, particularly by away fans, with 20 odd year olds claiming to be 16. If the Trust are going to police that on an ongoing basis as they did for the last game of last season that would be a much better solution than increasing the prices for everyone else.

Personally I think the pensioner price is about right and I know several pensioners who do too. The price for a pensioner was £6 when we were promoted in 2002 and was still £6 in 2009/10. It hadn't moved in about 8 seasons whilst the adult price had gone up from £12 to £17 in the same period. It should have gone up to £8 in the post cup final season and had it done so I think there'd have been a lot less moaning about the increase to £10 last season. What annoyed people was the big jump at once. However, for all the right reasons of course, with money in the bank, they decided to leave the pensioner price untouched for a couple of seasons more than they should have and are now getting the flak for it.

As for the VAT thing, it is never the less a fact that in terms of income to the club, the VAT change means that the club is getting less money for the price remaining unchanged than it did last year. It's no great surprise that's being used to spin a positive side on the price.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

You're talking about quite large amounts of money their SD, not necessarily in business terms but when you bare in mind it is individuals or groups of. What is to the credit of the various people as well is the fact that they were so happy to chuck money at the club out of blind loyalty, despite it being widely accepted that those in charge of the finances had made such a mess of them. Not the sort of venture people are normally keen to give money too.

I know it's not a particularly big deal, and the money raised probably barely covers one of the U19s wages for a week, but for me the thing that summed up the shambolic out-of-touch nature of the club last season was the ALBA scarfs. For the club to not have the savvy to knock together a commemorative scarf for the occasion is scandalous. Clubs the size of Queens are normally straight on the merchandise bandwagon when an opportunity arises, they certainly milked our Scottish cup run and subsequent UEFA cup game.

There was, and still is an impression that the fans groups are better run than the club itself! This may or not be the case but their efforts really shouldn't be belittled.

I had Queens down as a side to finish below us but after those two signings I'm not so sure. Campbell isn't the unstoppable man-mountain he was when we first came up because of his car crash but after 10 months on the sidelines he came back in, kept two clean sheets on the road and scored in the New Year derby after that which says all you need to know about the man. Good guy to have in the dressing room by all accounts too, and will get four or five goals himself. He had a few dodgy games but I thought he was getting towards his best at the end of last season - had a stormer in our defeat in the title decider at East End. He does literally win everything in the air as I'm sure you noticed when he played against Holmes.

Smith is a good all-round striker and I'm annoyed we didn't try to get him if he's dropping to the kind of level of wages Queens are offering. A better, less dirty version of his brother who scored a few at Stirling last season.

And if you still need a right-back Craig Wilson is still free, if you're really wanting to build a side of former Rovers... I'd have all three you've signed so far back in a heartbeat,

Edited by Paco