The General Ross County Chat Thread

How do you chaps feel about Dundee being promoted? I've spoken to a few County folks about it and they feel the record breaking run has been somewhat tarnished by Dundee being relatively shite but still being promoted too.

Pretty pleased, to be honest. Doesn't tarnish things at all. It's a good thing as we're no longer favourites for relegation. Obviously not a guarantee that we won't be relegated anyway, but it certainly helps.

Although, if the suggestion that five or six clubs could go in to administration in the near future comes to fruition, we could be looking at a top six finish :ph34r:

Maybe not the biggest ground shattering news to appear on here over the summer,

But Ross County's Victoria Park as been given the green light by the SPL to host SPL games this coming season.

Up until today we had officially been playing games at the Longman Landfill in Inverness, but at the SPL meeting on Monday a formal 'change of venue' request was submmitted by County to move games to Dingwall

This was accepted and officially approved today by the SPL Board

BBC Story

Edited by thejailender

And now since the 6pm embargo has passed, I can tell you that the stadium is now to be known as 'Global Energy Stadium'

Not sure the reason for the media embargo on that - must have been to give STV news the exclusive!!

I'm not one that is in favour of this sort of sponsorship, but given the money they have pumped into the stadium redevelopment I can understand it

Who really cares? I will always call it Victoria Park as will everyone else that goes. So what if the media call it the Global Stadium? I don't care. Much needed sponsorship.

That's just quite funny really. It's Stadium of Light in inspirational, maybe even aspirational names for grounds. It also makes us sound important, what with "Global" being in the name and all.

And the County fans will continue calling it Victoria Park regardless, no harm done.

Roy has earned the right to name the stadium whatever he feels like. It is a no brainer for him to get his company mentioned in the papers every day and most fans will still call it Victoria Park anyway. I doubt any Man City fans are too bothered that they officially attend games at the Etihad Stadium.

The people spitting feathers over this on OTB and the Facebook page need to get a grip.

Who really cares? I will always call it Victoria Park as will everyone else that goes. So what if the media call it the Global Stadium? I don't care. Much needed sponsorship.

Indeed. We get extra spondoolicks. The company gets their name in the bits of the paper nobody reads. It has always amazed me why companies choose to pay for naming rights, but in this economic climate, you can hardly turn it down.

And as far as these things go, there are far worse.

Next.

Being named after a hugely successful energy company > being named after some miserable fat German bird who died over a century ago

Gimp alert: I thought the ground was named after our previous incarnation as "Dingwall Victors", but was given the female equivalent of Victor as you often name boats etc. after women? Could be wrong.

The new renaming sits a bit uneasily with me as it feels a little too corporate, and bizarrely I had a dream the other day where I was telling everyone at work how amazing Roy McGregor is and how he has always resisted splashing any of his company branding around the club... huh.gif I have a lot of random dreams...

But it's money, money is needed, and this is a very common way of raising money. At least it is referencing a company that (or the company of someone who) has genuinely played a huge role in the club. More importantly everyone will keep on calling it Victoria Park. Particularly the fans who have been there over the years and have been part of the history which is being argued as being removed. When new-build stadia are given a corporate name it's more difficult/impossible, but everyone calls St James' Park - St James' Park for example. Happy with it.

Edited by dingdong1929

Gimp alert: I thought the ground was named after our previous incarnation as "Dingwall Victors", but was given the female equivalent of Victor as you often name boats etc. after women? Could be wrong.

You could be right. I had always assumed that Jubilee Park, Jubilee Road and Victoria Park were all named after the queen that Billy Connolly shagged in that film.

It takes a lot of balls to name you team the Victors though. 8)

You could be right. I had always assumed that Jubilee Park, Jubilee Road and Victoria Park were all named after the queen that Billy Connolly shagged in that film.

It takes a lot of balls to name you team the Victors though. 8)

Was what I thought initially, but then I heard the Victors story somewhere. I preferred that story so ran with it tongue.gif

Crackin image of ballsy early 20th century Dingwallians, with walrus moustaches and pumped up chests, chargin about the pitch. Would love a team pic of that Victors team!

Was what I thought initially, but then I heard the Victors story somewhere. I preferred that story so ran with it tongue.gif

Crackin image of ballsy early 20th century Dingwallians, with walrus moustaches and pumped up chests, chargin about the pitch. Would love a team pic of that Victors team!

Here is some footage of an early training session.