Things You Learned Today

1 hour ago, MazzyStar said:

Aaron Maté’s da is Gabor Maté. 

Ramones fans -If his granddad had been David Hay and they followed the example of Boutros Boutros Ghali then his dad would have been Gabor Gabor Hay

47 minutes ago, Loonytoons said:

My niece's welly boot made centre stage at TITP 2007.

Likely the first time anyone's been blown off the stage by Snow Patrol.

1 hour ago, Loonytoons said:

My niece's welly boot made centre stage at TITP 2007.

I miss T In The Park. Yes it ended up being like something out of Mad Max bit was still some laugh 

9 hours ago, Bert Raccoon said:

I miss T In The Park. Yes it ended up being like something out of Mad Max bit was still some laugh 

I'd never go now, but in my late teens and early twenties it was the highlight of the summer.

21 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Ramones fans -If his granddad had been David Hay and they followed the example of Boutros Boutros Ghali then his dad would have been Gabor Gabor Hay

And if he married Zsa Zsa?

9 hours ago, Bert Raccoon said:

Back in 97, I had a summer job at Stirling Council surveying the roads. There were 8 of us, and two trucks. The trucks sat 6 people, and they were a kind of flat bed so we could chuck our signs and equipment in the back. 

We took turns taking the trucks home at night. The council approved as they felt the trucks were safer at our houses overnight than in their yard. Apparently local Rap Tap schemies were vandalising them.

One monday we got into a truck and it was in a hell of a state. Smelled of beer, weed and piss. Stains everywhere. We had to spend the next 8 hours on a hot day in this tin can.

Turns out one guy took it home on Friday, then took it to T in the park with his mates for the weekend. They slept in it, got pissed and high and just wrecked the thing. 

Posted (edited)

Last time I went to TITP was 2008. I had a nasty slip (nothing to do with the litre of Glen's Vodka I drank) woke up in the medical bit and some fella full of ketamine was trying to eat a nurses arm. Halcyon days.

Edited by Bert Raccoon

Posted (edited)

My first time at T in the Park was as a 14 year old litter picker.  We were told to place little flags next to used-johnnie's, needles etc, but we mostly put them in fallen sausages as it somehow seemed hilarious at that age. 

I know it was '98 as we used our 'staff' yellow jacket privileges to push to the front row for The Prodigy, Beastie Boys & Pulp.  I don't think we actually did much work tbh.  Life lesson: never hire teenagers.

eta: vague memories of it being an absolute quagmire.

Edited by Hedgecutter

For some reason we were talking about porridge at work and I said "there was an old urban myth when I was at Aberdeen University 30 years ago about a student who'd lived in Tillydrone and could only afford to eat porridge. He came down with scurvy apparently"

My workmate replied "My Modern Studies teacher said that had happened to him, he was the first case of scurvy in decades apparently. My teacher was Robin Harper (the Green MSP)"

So he looked up Robin Harper on Wikipedia and discovered that he attended Aberdeen University, graduating in 1962. If the urban myth really was about Robin Harper then it was at least 30 years old when I heard it..  

Jim Lovell was one of the unluckiest astronauts going. Not only did he nearly blow up on Apollo 13, but he was swapped out of the eventual Apollo 11 crew when Michael Collins had an operation that prevented him going on Apollo 9. Had he stayed on that crew, he would have been the one left on the command module, so wouldn't have got on the moon on that trip either

9 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

Jim Lovell was one of the unluckiest astronauts going. Not only did he nearly blow up on Apollo 13, but he was swapped out of the eventual Apollo 11 crew when Michael Collins had an operation that prevented him going on Apollo 9. Had he stayed on that crew, he would have been the one left on the command module, so wouldn't have got on the moon on that trip either

The astronaut equivalent of a great clubman.