Cheap as Chips

2 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

No, but I might give it a go. I've still got some liver left - does it go with banana?

Absolutely. You will love it.

In fact, video yourself eating it and share it with us so we can see the joy and happiness unfold.

17 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

If you get yourself a rifle you can hunt all manner of animals for free.

Be careful what u do with a rifle m8.

Lee Harvey Oswald was trying to shoot pigeons during his lunch hour and ended up shooting the President of the United State lmao.

I would not be going to Home Bargains for chicken. Lord knows where they source them. 
Lidl do a whole corn fed free range chicken at a reasonable price. 
You trust the other supermarkets? We were eating horse for months without knowing about it.

4 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
4 hours ago, Cosmic Joe said:
I would not be going to Home Bargains for chicken. Lord knows where they source them. 

You trust the other supermarkets? We were eating horse for months without knowing about it.

Donkey's years in fact

1 hour ago, virginton said:

Pretty much everyone can eat less but decent quality meat. 

Tinned sardines are an excellent, cheap and healthy source of protein for pasta meals. Tinned mackerel (especially in tomato sauce) makes a cheap and easy protein for a fish curry. 

Cheap vegetable sources of protein are chickpeas and most tinned/dried beans and peas. Swap out half of the meat content of a meal with a can of those instead (chickpeas for curry, tagine etc.; kidney beans for chilli; white beans for pasta). Dried lentils are also a good option for soup/daal. 

A good mix of different frozen veg (peas are 60p a kilo - mix and match from there) is also well worth having. 

Aye we try to just buy 2 or 3 pieces of meat a week: something for Sunday dinner, something for breakfast at the weekend and maybe something for a Saturday night if we're in/having pals round for dinner. Usually get to our local butcher which isn't much dearer than even Lidl or Aldi in our experience and there's a better chance it's decently sourced. About £15 at the butcher last weekend and that got us two nights of spaghetti bolognese, roast chicken on Sunday and leftovers for a salad on Monday, and some bacon for Sunday morning. Need to get more onto tinned fish, have been tempted to get in on that Fishbox subscription as at least it's a controlled cost and again you know it's better sourced. 

Weeknight dinners are generally chickpea curries, white or butter bean stews, roast veggies with feta etc. Been meaning to try some saitan or tempeh as well but I think that's a bit too dear for what it is when beans are already there and are class. Getting in some peas, edemame, broad beans etc, even as a side, is a good and very easy to make tasty way of getting in veggie protein as well. 

Tinned fish is an excellent food, high in protein and essential oils.  Excellent for adding to pasta.

Batch cooking things like pasta, stews and chili and then freezing them is great for saving money and giving you quick meals.  If you don't have time to cook something then you don't end up ordering a takeaway just to get something.

When it comes to things like meat you can save money by choosing, for example, rump steak over ribeye.  Also, places like Aldi and Lidl usually have offers of five steaks, you can then freeze the ones you don't have for dinner.  The quality is pretty much the same as any supermarket, in my experience.  

I try do batch cook as much stuff for the kids dinners as possible as it makes life easier on school nights when they've inevitably got football/gymnastics/brownies/taekwondo and it's always a bit of a rush to get them fed and out the door again.

As has been mentioned, chilli, spaggy spaggy bol bol, casseroles etc are an excellent way to make a large amount of food on a relatively small budget.  

I make a thing for them that's just steamed salmon, pasta, peas and philadelphia.  It's piss easy and takes ten minutes.  You could swap out the salmon for a tinned fish and it would work just as well.

3 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:
7 hours ago, Cosmic Joe said:

Happily eating horse at that. Wish they'd change back, it tasted much better with added bits of Seabiscuit

19 hours ago, GordonD said:

According to QI a toast sandwich is tasty and cheap - two slices of buttered bread with a slice of dry toast in between; salted and peppered to taste. They gave one to Romesh Ranganathan who thought they were taking the piss because he's a vegan (did you know that?) but he really enjoyed it.

Did they make a vegan eat butter? Thats a bit shit surely?

anyway, i fair like my slow cook bbq, bit of brisket, or some other cut, nice salt and pepper rub, slow cool on a wood or charcoal grill, get it with a nice bark. Off cuts (before cooking) can be minced and made into a burger, which I really love doing. You got yourself a bit of beef which will feed the family, any left overs can be chopped up and used to make a chilli, loads of pinto or red kidney beans. One of my favourite things to do. 

Also, i use a similar base for bolognaise as chilli so a big packet of mince can be used to bulk cook a decent chilli or bolognaise, gives a bit of variety. Just toast the spices off and add the bol and some beans (chorizo if you like that) and you’ve got a couple of meals from each pot. 

Agree re using a whole chicken, again, get it on the bbq, get some smoke into it, fajitas (the small flour ones from tesco are superb) one night, pulled chicken and chips with a bbq sauce another. Soup after (and with the smoky flavour it’d be superb). Im definitely looking more towards the low and slow stuff for meals, cheaper cuts that i can impart a lot of flavour into and make last for at least 2 meals each. 

18 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

The first one was. It quickly became a challenge both mentally and physically trying to churn the second one down.

I’m holding you personally responsible for any impending Hose pipe ban in Dundee, you would need to empty a loch to hydrate yourself after that.

1 hour ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

anyway, i fair like my slow cook bbq

Is this going to cost a fortune when the rates change or will it be OK because it cooks things slowly? I've never really understood the impact.

Actually is this just outside like type of normal bbq? Though my question still remains ie slow cookers in the house.

Edited by Alert Mongoose