Is your team's stadium crumbling?

On 31/12/2022 at 22:09, RandomGuy. said:

Filled in corners. Blue seats all round apart from a band of white seats in the middle. The wasteland the club own next to the car park turned into a proper supporters bar. Murals in the concourse of the East and Ormond sides showing legends of the past. 

Well, one of those corners might see a big change coming sooner than you think.... 🤐🤫🙃

13 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Im probably wrong about Ibrox then tbh, i just remember reading about them consulting Rangers about the stadium build due to something Rangers had done.

The multi coloured seats were in part a copy of Rangers, but a fair few clubs had similar colour schemes at the time. Clydebank had coloured benches, Aberdeen a mix of red and yellow sections and dundee had a mix of red and blue benches.

I don't think the colour scheme  was much to do with finding seats etc as it was never disclosed on ST's or match tickets as red/yellow/blue section.

One small quirk from that time was the image on the tickets was an artists impression of what McDiarmid would look like and not actually what was built. Only small differences, but still.

In terms of crumbling stadiums, many in Scotland are hitting the 25-30 year lifespan for the stands built post Hillsborough and have been grossly under invested in most cases.

That said, Scotland is not alone in that. Been in the old Anfield main stand pre redevelopment a couple of years ago and the old White Heart lane and each were on par with the main stand at Dundee or the old hearts main stand. 

3 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

The multi coloured seats were in part a copy of Rangers, but a fair few clubs had similar colour schemes at the time. Clydebank had coloured benches, Aberdeen a mix of red and yellow sections and dundee had a mix of red and blue benches.

I don't think the colour scheme  was much to do with finding seats etc as it was never disclosed on ST's or match tickets as red/yellow/blue section.

One small quirk from that time was the image on the tickets was an artists impression of what McDiarmid would look like and not actually what was built. Only small differences, but still.

In terms of crumbling stadiums, many in Scotland are hitting the 25-30 year lifespan for the stands built post Hillsborough and have been grossly under invested in most cases.

That said, Scotland is not alone in that. Been in the old Anfield main stand pre redevelopment a couple of years ago and the old White Heart lane and each were on par with the main stand at Dundee or the old hearts main stand. 

You talk some amount of shite, the colour of seat WAS printed on the tickets. 

9 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

You talk some amount of shite, the colour of seat WAS printed on the tickets. 

I didn't think they were, unless memory is totally fading. To be fair, had a season ticket the first 10 years after we moved, so didn't really get a match ticket, but was pretty sure the colour wasn't on the actual tickets. Was it not just row and seat number? 

Edit: actually, you are right. Just checked there, used to put seat colour, but that must have stopped at some point? 

Edited by Theyellowbox

9 hours ago, Molotov said:

Clydebank arguably had one of the first “hospitality” venues directly overlooking the pitch. They used to pull the curtains shut just before KO.

Wet Wet Wet were in there for one of our games at Kilbowie, prompting the inevitable chants of "Wet Wet Wet, w**k w**k w**k".

In regard to swapping ends at Gayfield I can't imagine there being much historic rivalry between Arbroath and clubs in the Championship- for example I would imagine Cove and Arbroath fans could swap ends easily enough at half time. These are the times we live in though 

My first visit to Starks Park in 1987 in the old First Division saw 100 Meadowbank fans swap ends at half time with 1000 Raith fans!

7 hours ago, tamthebam said:

In regard to swapping ends at Gayfield I can't imagine there being much historic rivalry between Arbroath and clubs in the Championship- for example I would imagine Cove and Arbroath fans could swap ends easily enough at half time. These are the times we live in though 

My first visit to Starks Park in 1987 in the old First Division saw 100 Meadowbank fans swap ends at half time with 1000 Raith fans!

Can remember swapping ends at Celtic Park back in the seventies

Overall at Firhill it ranges from the crumbly 100 year old main stand, the on the cusp of crumbly Jackie Husband across the pitch.

Then at the ends we have a functional stand in the North end and behind the City end, a fucking grass covered bing.

The previous board's last accounts changed from the value of the ground to a Ranger's style what ir would cost to rebuild the stadium which was in the region of £15 million.

I really don't know where you would start outwith standard maintenance. 

It is a real hodgepodge of a ground. 

7 minutes ago, jagfox said:

Overall at Firhill it ranges from the crumbly 100 year old main stand, the on the cusp of crumbly Jackie Husband across the pitch.

Then at the ends we have a functional stand in the North end and behind the City end, a fucking grass covered bing.

The previous board's last accounts changed from the value of the ground to a Ranger's style what ir would cost to rebuild the stadium which was in the region of £15 million.

I really don't know where you would start outwith standard maintenance. 

It is a real hodgepodge of a ground. 

I really hate, but understand, how lots of grounds became less than 4 sided during the changes of the last 3 decades or so.

To me, that really matters, and every ground without 4 sides which are all open to fans, is diminished as a result.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

4 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I really hate, but understand, how lots of grounds became less than 4 sided during the changes of the last 3 decades or so.

To me, that really matters, and every ground without 4 sides which are all open to fans, is diminished as a result.

The Terregles Street end certainly comes into the crumbling category. I'm surprised it had a licence bur I think the worst bits were taped off when I was in that part of the ground. 

I'd still take a crumbling Terrace over a grass fucking bing, tbf.

There just isn't the money to do up these disused parts of grounds. The clubs barely put anything towards structural maintenance unless something goes tits up.

1 hour ago, jagfox said:

The Terregles Street end certainly comes into the crumbling category. I'm surprised it had a licence bur I think the worst bits were taped off when I was in that part of the ground. 

I'd still take a crumbling Terrace over a grass fucking bing, tbf.

There just isn't the money to do up these disused parts of grounds. The clubs barely put anything towards structural maintenance unless something goes tits up.

I assume you experienced it at the last game of the season in 2019, when we delivered a horrendous display?

To be honest, it was great to see that end opened again on an occasional basis a few years before that, because it had been out of commission for many years at that point.  It is in a really poor state though, and I'm surprised it got passed to open.  I'd prefer it it was always open to visiting supporters, but there are fairly solid financial reasons why that's not the case. 

To me, 4 sides are always desirable, but I know plenty who don't see that as any sort of priority.

16 hours ago, Theyellowbox said:

I didn't think they were, unless memory is totally fading. To be fair, had a season ticket the first 10 years after we moved, so didn't really get a match ticket, but was pretty sure the colour wasn't on the actual tickets. Was it not just row and seat number? 

Edit: actually, you are right. Just checked there, used to put seat colour, but that must have stopped at some point? 

It was still there in 2016, although the ticket design looks like it hasn’t changed since the stadium opened.

The e-ticket I got for the game at the start of this season didn’t mention the  colour but thankfully I managed to identify my seat without it.

CA5F2B15-8274-4248-AC76-F9CB8A9A9665.thumb.jpeg.68c8c523d02d83da003acdc24cec4425.jpeg