Is your team's stadium crumbling?

36 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley said:

Pretty smart that but where are the pictures of you beating Hearts in the League Cup Final or Obika’s goal against them before Covid?

Not really worth mentioning, we always beat Hearts when it matters. 

1960's main stand financed by Ian St John's sale. 1990's behind the goals stands financed a fair bit by Phil O'Donnell's sale. Covid era refurbishments funded partly by Turnbull's move to Celtic.

Lick of paint throughout the stadium, new seats in the stand you see facing the TV cameras (gave old seats away to various lower league and amateur sides because that's what we do). +£700k spent and attempted to semi-level pitch within existing footprints and space restrictions, 5% plastic bowling green carpet.

Main stand has many issues due to its age and wooden construction. Whole stadium experienced flooding 2 weeks ago, however mentioned in our thread I know the guy who did work on the place 10 years ago to stop that being an issue and he's a bum, so no surprise.

Since Ravenscraig site was cleared there's been calls for a move. Issue is our stadium isn't town centre like Broomfield was, with associated restrictions that make it not as popular with supermarket, so no major lump sum to fund it. Suspect it will happen in my lifetime however.

Probably a scandi style steep bowl borrowing a lot from Tynecastle which is the best stadium for me.

All stadia need ongoing maintenance, Old Trafford was finished 20 years ago and its already falling apart. When McCann rebuilt Parkhead didn't it only have a 25 year lifespan/guarantee, maybe a Celtic fan can recall? Ibrox at the rear looks very dated, same can't be said for the new tenants.

16 minutes ago, Kapowzer said:

1960's main stand financed by Ian St John's sale.

Part (surely!) always amuses me that it was never finished. 
I’m surprised the offending house never had a mysterious fire 🔥 

586B9199-EFF1-4447-96A5-7BDB8B074303.jpeg.6ad8aa15018d79b0fb9df9bfd11c53b9.jpeg

Arguably the most uncomfortable main stand seats I’ve ever sat on.

Aberdeen - Tear it down and start again
Celtic - Take away the pillar
United - I think Tannadice is okay,  the club spent a lot of money renovating it in 2018-19, still think we could do with a couple of more LEDs for visiting fans and the Jerry Kerr needs a facelift. Some safe standing would also be nice (in the Shed ideally).
Hearts - No issue.
Hibs - No issue.
Livi - The away section feels weirdly fragmented, and it is starting to look a bit tired.
Killie - Genuinely no issues, maybe some LEDs would be nice. Went to it this year for the first time and was surprised at how decent a ground it was.
Motherwell - Away end is fine, but the rest of the stadium is looking very tired. Wouldn't be surprised if they end up moving soon(ish).
Rangers - Haven't been in the last 8 years so can't really comment, but it was need a few licks of paint last time I was there.
Ross County - Nothing other than some LEDs and new camera positions, they need to find a way to make the camera gantries 2-3m higher. Always annoying to watch on Sportscene.
St Johnstone - Really starting to show its age now, feel like it needs to take out the horrid seating and replace it with all blue and also put in a new LED.
St Mirren - Underrated ground, really nice and easily accessible. An LED for visiting fans would be nice.

9 hours ago, AJF said:

Ibrox had been seriously neglected for years under the previous board. It’s since been heavily invested in with new cladding, now roofing, new kiosks and concourse refresh. We also have a new hospitality suite under construction as well as New Edmiston House. It’s still looking a bit tired in places though.

Was Edmiston House originally the Rangers Social Club?

3 minutes ago, Stylish Kid said:

Why does McDairmed ha the awful yellow and blue seating section? It makes it look like the stadium of some provincial lower league club.....oh wait 😆

Because it was sold out regularly when it first opened and the coloured sections made it easier for people to find their seats in a brand new stadium.

17 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Because it was sold out regularly when it first opened and the coloured sections made it easier for people to find their seats in a brand new stadium.

Didn't realise that was the reason. As you've mentioned, sorting those out would go a long way to improving the place. The base primary colours just look a bit dated.

20 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Was that the idea of it?

Presumably, it was the same logic employed by Rangers who did similar when rebuilding a decade earlier.  

7 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Was that the idea of it?

Presumably, it was the same logic employed by Rangers who did similar when rebuilding a decade earlier.  

Yeah i think Ibrox was the only other all seater at the time McDiarmid was built, so they virtually just copied the idea. Presumably theyd asked Rangers if it helped and theyd said yes.

Would need to ask some of the older Saints fans how useful it was, but id guess in the first season it was handy as people got to grips with it.

I’d love us to do what St Mirren have done in the concourses. The FCU have a mural at the top of the East Stand which has added a bit of colour but I’d love the whole place to get that kind of lift. I’d have thought it would be the kind of thing that could be done by fans groups if need be the full length.

McDiarmid Park still has a lot going for it - the vantage points and leg room are generally excellent from virtually every seat - but as with everyone else I’d love to see all the seats ripped out and replaced wholly in blue, even better if we can get rail seating at the top end of the East Stand. I’d also be for installing the same in the away end tbh if it was feasible. Would be brilliant to have two sections of standing fans close together and hopefully creating a bit of an atmosphere.

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yeah i think Ibrox was the only other all seater at the time McDiarmid was built, so they virtually just copied the idea. Presumably theyd asked Rangers if it helped and theyd said yes.

Would need to ask some of the older Saints fans how useful it was, but id guess in the first season it was handy as people got to grips with it.

I don't think Ibrox was quite all seater then.  They had a standing enclosure in front of the main stand for quite a while after the rebuild.  I'm not sure when it changed.

Was Pittodrie not all seated already?  Maybe they just had benches in places at that point.

8 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I’m pretty sure Kilbowie would still have been standing at the time McDiarmid was built.

Technically, Kilbowie was the first all seater football stadium in the UK if I remember correctly (I may be wrong).

6 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I don't think Ibrox was quite all seater then.  They had a standing enclosure in front of the main stand for quite a while after the rebuild.  I'm not sure when it changed.

Was Pittodrie not all seated already?  Maybe they just had benches in places at that point.

5 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

I’m pretty sure Kilbowie would still have been standing at the time McDiarmid was built.

Technically, Kilbowie was the first all seater football stadium in the UK if I remember correctly (I may be wrong).

Im probably wrong about Ibrox then tbh, i just remember reading about them consulting Rangers about the stadium build due to something Rangers had done.

Edited by RandomGuy.

Just now, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Yeah, what you said makes sense mate. Kilbowie was more benches than seats tbh but I’m sure I read it was classed as the ‘first all seater’.

Yes, I think that's right.  Kilbowie certainly lasted well into the 90s, but the seats were basically benches.