The Apprentice 2023

Michael W

3 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I thought it was chronically unfair that Paul was allowed to / encouraged to move his business plan in the Boardroom. It's a nonsense, that's not the point. I note Sugar said it's happened before. Has it? What's he referring to? Didn't think that was fair on the other candidates at all. Why not offer the eminently likeable Tre the chance to come up with a different plan on the spot?

Aye something tells me it's happened before. If you can't remember who it was there's no chance I will! When they were hinting he changes his plan I said to my Mrs "That's happened before" so something is there that I can slightly recall. 

And absolutely Sugar was at it. No chance Paul should be giving him a half share in a business making £400k per annum for £250k capital.

I think this is probably the reason why Paul was encouraged and not Tre though. They've clearly seen he's making money and were trying to get Sugar a slice. I'm glad Paul had the sense not to be exploited. 

Again though, do none of these clowns ever watch a past series when they are accepted for it? Every damned year, "not enough numbers, over ambitious plans, no samples, false claims in plans". Every. Damned. Year. FFS. Learn, you clowns!

I can't recall if it was on this actual thread or an article I read where it said they are given next to no time to come up with a business plan. I can only assume this is legit and the producers are happy with it this way as it makes better television. 

33 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Aye something tells me it's happened before. If you can't remember who it was there's no chance I will! When they were hinting he changes his plan I said to my Mrs "That's happened before" so something is there that I can slightly recall. 

There have been one or two series I didnt watch. Probably circa 2019. 

I read that since it changed from offring a job to offering an investment, the first 4 made Sugar money but the last 8 have all failed. Probably reflects on the type of candidates they bring in now. 

1 hour ago, Newbornbairn said:

I read that since it changed from offring a job to offering an investment, the first 4 made Sugar money but the last 8 have all failed. Probably reflects on the type of candidates they bring in now. 

No wonder. Even the winners are utter morons these days. 

Just shows how utterly, utterly pointless most of the show is. Tre went through 10 weeks of tasks only for it to turn out he had no business plan and his idea was wired to the moon. What was the fucking point of that? 

On 13/04/2024 at 07:59, Newbornbairn said:

I suspect that will be partly because in the early days they got a flood of applications from people with genuine business ideas who needed help and it's now graduated into a game show with clueless twats whose first aim is to be accepted and then they worry about it. I have a friend who interviewed for the show and got accepted through to the 2nd round of interviews, though he never went. Decided he preferred his current job for now. He 100% had no business plan though and not one person at the production company gave a toss or asked him about it.

If you seek out candidates and then ask them to come up with a business you'll get what we have been getting. Candidates who genuinely have a business plan are far more likely to go on Dragon's Den. Less of a waste of their time and more of a genuine investment. The Apprentice is a game show for publicity seekers.

It was far better when it was a job interview but got binned after it became clear it didn't actually work in practice. I assume there was a lot of friction with people who had genuinely worked their way up in business seeing some gameshow winner parachute in at their level and being expected to work with them. Tim Campell who won the first series seemed to do well, probably at least partly due to the novelty. He's obviously still close to Sugar and is back on the show now but even he only worked directly for him for 2 years before leaving. I think all the others left within 2 years too and after the Stella English debacle in season 6 he said he wasn't employing anyone directly again.

Series 7 saw the new format start and was won by a genuine innovator in Tom Pellereau, albeit they very quickly binned his new idea and went back to his previously successful nail file product. Ricky Martin (Series 8 ) and Mark Wright (Series 10) were both very successful and have been held up by the show as a standard of what can be achieved. In between was Leah Totten and her Beauty Clinic which I believe did well also.

Since then it's all been a bit less memorable. I recall Joseph Valente (Series 11) with his gas business where SUgar left the business after 2 years and it subsequently went bust. Not clear whether Sugar got his money back on leaving or not. If I'm being honest I had to look up the other winners since then. Apparently they were:

Series 12 - Alana Spencer - Ridiculously Rich Bakery
Series 13 - Shared - James White - Right Time Recruitment and Sarah Lynn - Sweets in the City
Series 14 - Sian Gabbidon - Swimwear
Series 15 - Carina Lepore - Bakery
Series 16 - Harpreet Kaur - Oh So Yum Desserts
Series 17 - Marnie Swindells - Boxing Gyms

I recall Alana and Marnie from just last year. I'm not sure I even watched some of the ones in between.

Companies House suggests that By Alana Limited which appears to be what the company Spencer and Sugar started was actually called is doing well and making decent money. Albeit Sugar resigned in 2019 and the company bought back his shares. Certainly doesn't appear to have failed.

Right Time Recruitment is still trading too albeit it's not exactly flush with cash and its current accounts are somewhat overdue. Sugar exited in 2020 when the company bought back his shares again.

Sweets in the City appears to still be trading relatively successfully with Sugar having made his exit in 2022 with his shares repurchased. Not sure it's making much actual profit but there's over £100k of capital still in it.

Sian Marie Fashion Limited certainly didn't work. Sugar exited in 2022 and it was in liquidation and insolvent by early 2023.

Dough Artison Bakehouse Limited (Carina Lepore) is still trading, with a remarkably similar website to Ridiculously Rich Bakery incidentally! Sugar departed last year and appears to have gotten his money back looking at the way the asset base collapsed in the year after. Company looks fairly worthless based on its 2023 accounts but that might just be that it cleaned itself out buying him out and it will recover. Hard to say at this point.

Oh So Yum Limited appears to be trading successfully. Sugar exited in 2023, after the last set of accounts was filed. Looks like he probably got his money back and left it solvent and trading but with little capital at that point.

Bronx Boxing Limited (Marnie) is still trading and he's still a 50% owner it would appear. Very early though. Company only started trading in June 2023. Accounts were published for the period to end of June 2023 showing his investment coming in but nothing since obviously so no clarity on how it's doing

So basically, I'm not sure it's fair to say the last 8 have failed. Impra Gas (Joseph Valente) and Sian Marie (Sian Gabbidon) definitely failed. Far too early to debate Bronx Boxing. The other five are still trading albeit Sugar's exited from all of them. Alana Spencer's Ridiculously Rich Bakery seems to be doing fine. The others are all still validly in operation but nobody's got rich from them.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

I can’t be alone in thinking English pies look absolutly shite? Use shortcrust pastry instead of puff and in general look dry as f**k.

I remember getting a pie at a Man City game(pre Arab money) and when it was presented asking the server wtf is that? Same as that shite on offer tonight. The server with a look of pure bamboozlment, blissfully unaware of the beauty of a proper Scottish pie.

Have to hold my hands up to getting that entirely wrong tonight. The entire episode I was sure he was picking Phil. He made it clear he didnt particularly like or want another gym. He (rightly) doubted that, as good as Rachel may be, its not really scalable if she's not hands on. When Phil confirmed he's already turning over £2.7m for me it was as easy a decision as there's ever been.

But there was a 'volte face' in the closing moments. For all Phil clearly, by an absolute mile, had the better business with more potential, Sugar just didnt believe in him personally. He hung himself with the 'business isnt necessarily about profit' line. Sugar was clearly horrified at that. That and nailing his colours to the 'Pies by Post' concept that is clearly limited. It was obvious when he called them back in Phil had realised his own stupidity and tried to row back from it, talking about opening more shops. But he was too late.

Fundamentally Sugar clearly looked at Rachel and saw a determined business partner with a focus and clearly given her lack of staff turnover capable of inspiring loyalty. And he went with his gut on the person rather than the much better business.

Ultimately he's probably got that right. Nine lives Phil finally shot himself in the foot once too often.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

Phil was the classic 'good business, shite businessman' candidate.

Overall I think Rachel deserved it, she was a solid candidate throughout, gyms are the rage these days so her and Sugar are bound to make money. Especially from folk who want to join a gym that is owned by an Apprentice winner.

Agreed about the pies, they looked shite and like they would crumble just by breathing on them.  

When the candidates came back to help out, I was like 'who the fuck is this ginger cunt at the back?' Totally forgot about the other Paul in the process.

On 12/04/2024 at 21:56, 19QOS19 said:

I think this is probably the reason why Paul was encouraged and not Tre though. They've clearly seen he's making money and were trying to get Sugar a slice. I'm glad Paul had the sense not to be exploited. 

I can't recall if it was on this actual thread or an article I read where it said they are given next to no time to come up with a business plan. I can only assume this is legit and the producers are happy with it this way as it makes better television. 

You’d think anyone remotely serious would have their business plan created before even going on the show.

Its no coincidence IMO that 6 of the last 8 winners either went for a gym or some kind of dessert parlour type business.

These are the kind of businesses that tend to do well for the first year or two out of novelty. The perfect amount of time for Sugar to make a quick buck and get out before it goes tits up.

All the while he and his two mates are pocketing handsome salaries from the BBC and getting their faces on the telly for a couple of months every year. 

2 hours ago, JS_FFC said:

You’d think anyone remotely serious would have their business plan created before even going on the show.

Its no coincidence IMO that 6 of the last 8 winners either went for a gym or some kind of dessert parlour type business.

These are the kind of businesses that tend to do well for the first year or two out of novelty. The perfect amount of time for Sugar to make a quick buck and get out before it goes tits up.

All the while he and his two mates are pocketing handsome salaries from the BBC and getting their faces on the telly for a couple of months every year. 

It's not actually clear that he does make anything to be fair. Looking at the filings online it looks like the companies have bought back his shareholding at cost but as they are all small companies what they file lacks any significant detail to be sure.

I'm not actually sure it's fair to call it a "prize" when they win if he ends up getting his money back to be honest. But it doesn't look like in any of the recent 8 he's actually made anything.

I do agree with you on the types of business that have been winning lately. And the two that weren't in that category have both gone tits up.

As I've already pointed out, the candidates these days are recruited and go through a vetting process for entry without anyone even asking about a business plan. It's absolutely an afterthought in a game show and if any of them actually have a genuine one it's a bonus. It's why I thought he'd take Phil given it's a genuine existing business. It's also why he was desperate to nab a bit of Paul's dentist practice.

3 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

It's not actually clear that he does make anything to be fair. Looking at the filings online it looks like the companies have bought back his shareholding at cost but as they are all small companies what they file lacks any significant detail to be sure.

I'm not actually sure it's fair to call it a "prize" when they win if he ends up getting his money back to be honest. But it doesn't look like in any of the recent 8 he's actually made anything.

I do agree with you on the types of business that have been winning lately. And the two that weren't in that category have both gone tits up.

As I've already pointed out, the candidates these days are recruited and go through a vetting process for entry without anyone even asking about a business plan. It's absolutely an afterthought in a game show and if any of them actually have a genuine one it's a bonus. It's why I thought he'd take Phil given it's a genuine existing business. It's also why he was desperate to nab a bit of Paul's dentist practice.

The quick buck part was perhaps slightly exaggerated but I’m not sure even making profit is necessary. He just needs to get in for a year or two and not lose any money which is enough to keep the show as a viable offering for the BBC and in turn keeps Sugar and his mates relevant. I don’t think you’ll see many big gambles going forward, he’s still got egg on his face from Sian Gabbidon’s swimwear effort. It’ll be more gyms and dessert parlours from now on. 

Boring fact but I previously worked for a bank and took a call from Sugars PA looking to confirm the £250k "prize" fund had been successfully transferred.

Also had David Baddiel complaining his Internet Banking wasn't working but that's another boring story entirely