The Apprentice 2023

Michael W

10 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

There's not a chance in hell Phil had started a pie business. He's obviously inherited it or runs it. Twice now he's been in the tasting room and delivered a shite product - thankfully for him the other team made an even bigger arse of it. But how can someone in the food industry be so bad at getting flavours correct? 

I'm hoping anyone other than the girls win tbh. Dislike the Northern lass less but I really can't stand the Tory. 

Correct - sure it's been in his family for generations.

Phil has won.

10 hours ago, Newbornbairn said:

Apparently there's been complaints that the interviewers are too harsh on the poor dears so they've got to tone it down. 

In the preview Claude gives the Tory lass a ticking off by suggesting to her "these are the rantings of a lunatic!". Ok, the show is about entertainment and humiliation and so on, but I think that's a wee bit tasteless given the history of that particular term.

Just about the right final five I think with Phil the obvious outlier.

From VERY early in the process it's been obvious Tre and Flo were the standout candidates. Rachel looked a strong 3rd early on in the series but has stumbled towards the end, losing three of the last four tasks, two of them as PM, and she made a backside of it last week and absolutely hung Faluso out to dry. She deserves her place in the final five but is well behind the other two now.

Paul's been quietly effective throughout without ever standing out. He's never been in the Boardroom apart from the one he lost as PM and he's clearly getting along with the other candidates and making wise calls as he goes. He's a dark horse for this. Given he owns a dental business one would assume his business plan relates to expanding that. Would be a bit left field for Sugar but then he invested in the Beauty Clinic of Leah Totten a few years ago so he's not above going left field. I think he'll deal with interviews well. Wouldn't be a bit surprised if his plan stands up better than the others and he makes the final.

As for Phil, he's clearly been a bit useless throughout, though probably unlucky to have lost as often as he did. Given he's in the food business, leading the team last week should have been an open goal for him and he even made an arse of that, though was saved by Steve's bizarre decision to go for curried cheese. The unavoidable conclusion is that Sugar quite likes his business plan also which will inevitably be based on expanding his existing pie business. I suppose there's a chance therefore that having made the final five he then gets through.

I assume it's likely Flo has a business plan relating to her existing recruitment consultant job which is a bit old hat. It's been done several times before and he's invested in a couple (Ricky Martin, James White). Rachel's clearly looking to expand her fitness studio into something franchisable which isn't that different to last year's Boxing Gyms. Not absolutely clear what Tre's business will be but he's been very likeable throughout the process so he has a chance of selling it if whatever it is stands up to interrogation.

I've said before, I hate the "new" process (I say new but it has been in for 12 years out of the 18 now) of it being a pointless 10 week gameshow leading to a two week episode of 'Dragon's Den' (and to be honest, I'm fairly convinced he normally knows who is winning after the interviews, the final week is just a glorified reunion show. They may as well let Justin Lee Collins host it!). Preferred it when it was a job interview and there was more merit in the early tasks, as daft as they are. There's probably a fairly good chance that Phil and Paul end up the final two with established businesses that are probably scalable.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

They couldn't have loaded that last task more in Teflon Phil's favour, team of four and a task where all he needs to do is use his experience to pick a flavour the experts would enjoy

And he still nearly fucked it. Unless his business plan is bulletproof he'll flap like a distressed seagull at the interview stage and I cannot wait to see it

1 hour ago, Bert Raccoon said:

They couldn't have loaded that last task more in Teflon Phil's favour, team of four and a task where all he needs to do is use his experience to pick a flavour the experts would enjoy

And he still nearly fucked it. Unless his business plan is bulletproof he'll flap like a distressed seagull at the interview stage and I cannot wait to see it

And he had the three strongest candidates on his team.

On 07/04/2024 at 15:50, Newbornbairn said:

Apparently there's been complaints that the interviewers are too harsh on the poor dears so they've got to tone it down. 

Given Claude's first interview there I'd say that's definitely the case. 

On 07/04/2024 at 15:50, Newbornbairn said:

I actually despise the woke mob, I really do. 

I mean, I think we all know the finalists are picked right off the bat but if ever you needed proof, it's Phil :lol: I'm still pretty shocked he's been put through regardless of the money in the bank. I'm not sure the guy has any business sense. I bet his parents (or whoever was running it) have only recently left the company. 6 months without looking at the accounts? Opening a new shop on the back of a great year where things were very different to normal (Covid). Mental. 

Glad the dentist told Sugar to go f**k himself. Sneaky fucker wanting 50% of a successful business for 250K? Aye right, ya chancer. 

I really don't care who wins now. I don't particularly like the lassie and it'll be an hilarious farce if Phil wins but the fact it won't be the arsehole Tory with her Tory as f**k business plan means I really don't care 😁

Dentists making £400k profit is probably worth £2.5m, meaning Sugar lowballed him by ~£1m.  Gtf was the correct response. 

Half of £600k cash in the bank for £250k is a good deal for Sugar; covers his downside if the pies don’t make any money. 

I remember when people didn’t need to pay “Sir Alan” to win

The morphing into Dragon's Den took a big leap last night then Sugar started negotiating with Paul.  is there really any need for both shows now?

I’m fucking raging Phil is in the final! He’s been shite all the way through, ducked decisions at every point, wasn’t even that good on food tasks, his interviews were shite and didn’t include accounts in his business plan. What’s the point of all the task if this dick gets to the end! Tre was a far better candidate but didn’t have a family business he could put up and instead had a terrible business proposition.

have I missed something with Flo? Don’t get the hate for her.

On 10/04/2024 at 10:31, Skyline Drifter said:

Just about the right final five I think with Phil the obvious outlier.

From VERY early in the process it's been obvious Tre and Flo were the standout candidates. Rachel looked a strong 3rd early on in the series but has stumbled towards the end, losing three of the last four tasks, two of them as PM, and she made a backside of it last week and absolutely hung Faluso out to dry. She deserves her place in the final five but is well behind the other two now.

Paul's been quietly effective throughout without ever standing out. He's never been in the Boardroom apart from the one he lost as PM and he's clearly getting along with the other candidates and making wise calls as he goes. He's a dark horse for this. Given he owns a dental business one would assume his business plan relates to expanding that. Would be a bit left field for Sugar but then he invested in the Beauty Clinic of Leah Totten a few years ago so he's not above going left field. I think he'll deal with interviews well. Wouldn't be a bit surprised if his plan stands up better than the others and he makes the final.

As for Phil, he's clearly been a bit useless throughout, though probably unlucky to have lost as often as he did. Given he's in the food business, leading the team last week should have been an open goal for him and he even made an arse of that, though was saved by Steve's bizarre decision to go for curried cheese. The unavoidable conclusion is that Sugar quite likes his business plan also which will inevitably be based on expanding his existing pie business. I suppose there's a chance therefore that having made the final five he then gets through.

I assume it's likely Flo has a business plan relating to her existing recruitment consultant job which is a bit old hat. It's been done several times before and he's invested in a couple (Ricky Martin, James White). Rachel's clearly looking to expand her fitness studio into something franchisable which isn't that different to last year's Boxing Gyms. Not absolutely clear what Tre's business will be but he's been very likeable throughout the process so he has a chance of selling it if whatever it is stands up to interrogation.

I've said before, I hate the "new" process (I say new but it has been in for 12 years out of the 18 now) of it being a pointless 10 week gameshow leading to a two week episode of 'Dragon's Den' (and to be honest, I'm fairly convinced he normally knows who is winning after the interviews, the final week is just a glorified reunion show. They may as well let Justin Lee Collins host it!). Preferred it when it was a job interview and there was more merit in the early tasks, as daft as they are. There's probably a fairly good chance that Phil and Paul end up the final two with established businesses that are probably scalable.

Absolutely called it! Other than not seeing Paul coming from left field with the whole Scrubs thing instead of offering his dental practice.

Knew Tre would have some left field bonkers plan. Never getting entertained. And as decent as Flo was, despite her daft numbers, he doesn't want a bloody 4th Recruitment Agency! Best two candidates in the process but out before the interviews started in effect.

19 hours ago, DrewDon said:

Mike buying up the domains is my favourite Apprentice bit. 

Well that and him making up a recipe drink. Have none of these clowns ever watched a previous series? He does it EVERY YEAR. It's not rocket science.

I did think however, he was out of line in the whole Established 1933 is a lie rant at Phil. Just because they didn't incorporate a company and open a shop until 2005 or whatever it was doesn't mean they haven't been trading in pies since 1933. It's a completely reasonable claim to make assuming they have. I've got two or three major clients who both claim to have over 100 years serving the public in their line of trade and they absolutely do but none of them were incorporated as as companies until the 1980's. It doesn't mean the claim's a lie. Phil however was too stupid / intimidated / rabbit frozen in headlights to actually argue back on it though.

19 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

I mean, I think we all know the finalists are picked right off the bat but if ever you needed proof, it's Phil :lol: I'm still pretty shocked he's been put through regardless of the money in the bank. I'm not sure the guy has any business sense. I bet his parents (or whoever was running it) have only recently left the company. 6 months without looking at the accounts? Opening a new shop on the back of a great year where things were very different to normal (Covid). Mental. 

Glad the dentist told Sugar to go f**k himself. Sneaky fucker wanting 50% of a successful business for 250K? Aye right, ya chancer. 

I really don't care who wins now. I don't particularly like the lassie and it'll be an hilarious farce if Phil wins but the fact it won't be the arsehole Tory with her Tory as f**k business plan means I really don't care 😁

I thought it was chronically unfair that Paul was allowed to / encouraged to move his business plan in the Boardroom. It's a nonsense, that's not the point. I note Sugar said it's happened before. Has it? What's he referring to? Didn't think that was fair on the other candidates at all. Why not offer the eminently likeable Tre the chance to come up with a different plan on the spot?

And absolutely Sugar was at it. No chance Paul should be giving him a half share in a business making £400k per annum for £250k capital.

I think you'd be surprised at the number of businesses who fell into money during Covid and thought it was the perfect time to expand and later got a rude awakening. I've seen it a lot. Phil's no different to many and plenty of businesses are run by people with no direct handle on the accounts either, though he certainly should have some idea of numbers over a six month period.

Again though, do none of these clowns ever watch a past series when they are accepted for it? Every damned year, "not enough numbers, over ambitious plans, no samples, false claims in plans". Every. Damned. Year. FFS. Learn, you clowns!

The fact that Sugar routinely sacks any accountant to enter in the first three weeks because he doesn't like accountants gets him what he deserves mind you. 😂

33 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Absolutely called it! Other than not seeing Paul coming from left field with the whole Scrubs thing instead of offering his dental practice.

Knew Tre would have some left field bonkers plan. Never getting entertained. And as decent as Flo was, despite her daft numbers, he doesn't want a bloody 4th Recruitment Agency! Best two candidates in the process but out before the interviews started in effect.

Well that and him making up a recipe drink. Have none of these clowns ever watched a previous series? He does it EVERY YEAR. It's not rocket science.

I did think however, he was out of line in the whole Established 1933 is a lie rant at Phil. Just because they didn't incorporate a company and open a shop until 2005 or whatever it was doesn't mean they haven't been trading in pies since 1933. It's a completely reasonable claim to make assuming they have. I've got two or three major clients who both claim to have over 100 years serving the public in their line of trade and they absolutely do but none of them were incorporated as as companies until the 1980's. It doesn't mean the claim's a lie. Phil however was too stupid / intimidated / rabbit frozen in headlights to actually argue back on it though.

I thought it was chronically unfair that Paul was allowed to / encouraged to move his business plan in the Boardroom. It's a nonsense, that's not the point. I note Sugar said it's happened before. Has it? What's he referring to? Didn't think that was fair on the other candidates at all. Why not offer the eminently likeable Tre the chance to come up with a different plan on the spot?

And absolutely Sugar was at it. No chance Paul should be giving him a half share in a business making £400k per annum for £250k capital.

I think you'd be surprised at the number of businesses who fell into money during Covid and thought it was the perfect time to expand and later got a rude awakening. I've seen it a lot. Phil's no different to many and plenty of businesses are run by people with no direct handle on the accounts either, though he certainly should have some idea of numbers over a six month period.

Again though, do none of these clowns ever watch a past series when they are accepted for it? Every damned year, "not enough numbers, over ambitious plans, no samples, false claims in plans". Every. Damned. Year. FFS. Learn, you clowns!

The fact that Sugar routinely sacks any accountant to enter in the first three weeks because he doesn't like accountants gets him what he deserves mind you. 😂

Rangers accountant?