Next permanent Scotland manager

Richey Edwards

253 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

7 hours ago, The Other Foot said:

I’m not suggesting for one instance that the P&B Official Hamster would win in a nationwide vote for Scottish leader, but I think the omission from this particular ballot has ‘bigotry’ written all over it. The OP would do well to familiarise himself with the hamster and his substantial ouevre.

P-Bovvy is female. 

On 17/02/2023 at 19:21, Brother Blades said:

I like the fact that there are different views & voices heard in the running of a country, every Green MSP has the same right to be there as any SNP MSP. The shite that happens with FPTP tells you that any Scottish government going forward ( Indy) should have a more representative government than Westminster, sadly if that even means listening to Tories (god forbid). 

There's no real benefit of having a formal coalition though - to either party. The SNP have to pretend that nonsense like Lorna Slater's daft recycling scheme is a sensible government priority right now, while the Greens have to abandon huge chunks of their own agenda. 

A confidence and supply deal would have been better for both parties, while also providing greater representation/influence over government decisions for all parties at Holyrood instead of the coalition deciding everything. The Labour-Lib Dem coalition was rancid and this isn't much better. 

3 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Humza being the first big player to declare interest is... disappointing.

Regan also confirming she intends to stand

At this point it's looking like there might only be four candidates because Robertson is seemingly reluctant and I don't know if McAllan will believe she can get adequate support

If it's Humza, Keith Brown, Forbes, and Regan, then that's extremely disappointing. I will not vote for Forbes or Regan on a point of principle, Brown is bonkers, and although Humza is quite charismatic I have serious concerns about his competence.

My vote would be Robertson or McAllan if either stand, but if neither do I will have to decide whether I can seriously entertain voting for Humza, and if not it'll be an abstention. If Forbes or Regan are the new leader I'll be resigning my membership and voting Green 1st preference in SGE from now on. Fortunately my SNP Westminster MP is an all-around top lad and I will happily vote for him for as long as he is willing to continue to stand.

12 hours ago, virginton said:

There's no real benefit of having a formal coalition though - to either party. The SNP have to pretend that nonsense like Lorna Slater's daft recycling scheme is a sensible government priority right now, while the Greens have to abandon huge chunks of their own agenda. 

A confidence and supply deal would have been better for both parties, while also providing greater representation/influence over government decisions for all parties at Holyrood instead of the coalition deciding everything. The Labour-Lib Dem coalition was rancid and this isn't much better. 

Slater seems quite poor at doing the bottle scheme though at least she is trying to do something, its another example of something being difficult to do in UK or Scotland but not anywhere else in europe. What does Harvie actually do, it seems to be pretty much nothing

Edited by ScotiaNostra

34 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Surely whoever gets the gig should be given every chance to demonstrate what they could be capable of achieving for Scotland and for the Indy cause?

Talk of resigning if you don't get who you want is pathetic.

Nonsense

Any party that elects a leader who believes a person's sexual orientation or gender identity is perfectly reasonable grounds for discriminating against them and denying them what should be universal rights, is not a party I want to be a member of. It's nothing to do with perceived ability as a leader, it's a basic point of principle. I absolutely believe in anyone's right to do whatever the hell they like within the law, observe their religion etc, but I wouldn't keep friends who were openly homophobic or transphobic because I have a right not to entertain them even though I believe in personal liberty. 

People wouldn't join UKIP or the old BNP because of Farage's personal politics Nick Griffin's stated beliefs, nobody would claim they were being 'pathetic', so you can away and f**k if you think I'm going to accept the SNP appointing someone who is completely at odds with their stated liberal, progressive identity as a party.

Appointing Denham/Regan would be a disaster because it would immediately alienate the bulk of the young support the SNP has built up. Forbes, would likely be able to keep her personal beliefs separate from politics, but that doesn't make the fact that she does not believe in same sex marriage rights or women's reproductive rights any less distasteful, nor does it excuse appointing her to lead the party.

Edited by Boo Khaki

I'm not sure about Regan. She can't expect loyalty from MSPs given that she resigned from the front bench and failed to support a significant policy from the manifesto. 

I'm well aware that religion is a serious issue, but you don't have to look very hard to find problems when religion and politics mix. I'll be interested to see how Forbes deals with the questions she will inevitably face. 

35 minutes ago, ScotiaNostra said:

Slater seems quite poor at doing the bottle scheme though at least she is trying to do something, its another example of something being difficult to do in UK or Scotland but not anywhere else in europe. What does Harvie actually do, it seems to be pretty much nothing

He absolutely winds the shit out of all the right people, simply by being openly bisexual it seems. So he's worth his tiny wee weight in gold for that alone.

21 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

He absolutely winds the shit out of all the right people, simply by being openly bisexual it seems. So he's worth his tiny wee weight in gold for that alone.

I didnt know that, hes such a non entity I know nothing about him. Id just have expected a bigger impact something more substantial to say thats what hes done to improve things. 

22 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

This. The state he gets the countryside lobby into especially is magnificent. 

Regan won't get close to winning it, and she knows it. It's a spoiler candidacy. I think the SNP process on how much backing is required is designed to whittle the field down quickly.

McAllan doesn't have enough experience I think. Forbes will need to work hard to convince people she isn't a bigot, if she stands at all. I'm wondering if others haven't declared, waiting to see if her or Robertson bother getting into it. Neil Gray would potentially be alright at it but lacks name recognition.

The only SNP figure over the last few years most people are properly aware of is Sturgeon, apart from a few snippets on the news from Swinney and Yousaf. I'm hoping the candidates all announce themselves this week and start hustings around the country and regular TV appearances so members get the knowledge and insight to make an informed opinion. I'm certainly not qualified to make a judgement at this stage, the only likely candidate who almost certainly won't be getting my vote is Regan.

I've voted SNP for most of my life because I believe Scotland should be an independent country within the EU

First and fourmost all I want to hear from the next leader is how this can be best achieved and in the shortest possible time frame. When that happens there can be new elections in which all kinds of issues can be addressed.

SNP.

Remember what it says on the tin.