Club Legends

Who, if any, of your current players would you consider a legend? 

McGregor and Forrest at Celtic are the obvious ones for me. You could say basically any of the rest of the current squad but most of them haven’t even been here 2 seasons yet so I’d hold off on that. 

Any Rangers fans who say Tavernier are lying to themselves, he’s more of a Celtic/Hibs legend imo. 

48 minutes ago, The Golden God said:

Who, if any, of your current players would you consider a legend? 

McGregor and Forrest at Celtic are the obvious ones for me. You could say basically any of the rest of the current squad but most of them haven’t even been here 2 seasons yet so I’d hold off on that. 

Any Rangers fans who say Tavernier are lying to themselves, he’s more of a Celtic/Hibs legend imo. 

I suppose it would depend on your interpretation of “legend”.

Personally I think it would be a mixture of extraordinary and outstanding talent (relative to the level of player you’re use to seeing), length of service and impact at the club.

I think in my lifetime there are probably only a handful of people that would fall into that category. Allan McGregor probably comes close to that, but when you consider others such as Ally McCoist, Walter Smith, Andy Goram or Barry Ferguson then it’s maybe not cut and dry.

It’s funny you preempted Tav as an option, which probably means you think he should be highly regarded even if you’re trying to say he shouldn’t be. I don’t think I’d consider him as a club legend, but I think he is more than worthy of his recent induction into our Hall of Fame.

ETA: I’d also argue that putting Callum McGregor and James Forrest into the legend category may be a tad kind on them. If you consider someone like Larsson as a comparative.

Edited by AJF

It’s hard for any current Aberdeen player to ever get legend status because they’ll always be benchmarked against fergie’s team and the club can’t reach those levels again. 

That and most of the current squad are shite. 

Id say the only certified club legends are Wotherspoon and May. Locally born childhood Saints fans who have played hundreds of times for us and won 3 major trophies.

Others are close but for me just lack something that would make them on the same level. O'Halloran has 3 medals too but feels a step below those two. Others like Gordon/Kane will be remembered but not on that level IMO. One offs like Rooney just werent here long enough for it either despite their impact IMO.

16 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Steady! Just about spilled my coffee there!

Gordon will be, aye. Shankland has potential.

Aye was just going with the fact he's been at Hearts forever hence the clutching at straws 😂

27 minutes ago, Empty It said:

Aye was just going with the fact he's been at Hearts forever hence the clutching at straws 😂

Its funny, I thought Smith had been around Tynecastle for decades as well - but when I checked, he signed in June 2017.

I suppose he is a long servant by modern standards, but I would struggle to place him as legendary for Hearts (when including Craig G, who absolutely is).

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

It’s hard for any current Aberdeen player to ever get legend status because they’ll always be benchmarked against fergie’s team and the club can’t reach those levels again. 

That and most of the current squad are shite. 

I looked at this the other night and Hayes and Lewis are the only two of our current squad in the top 50 all time appearance makers. Of the last 10 years I'd probably say only Considine. But to have been with the club for that long and win only one medal kinda makes it feel a bit empty. 

Might go on to be a legend, but Jamie Sneddon will long be remembered by Jags fans for scoring a last minute equaliser against Cove last year, by heading home a corner. 

Stuart Bannigan is in his testimonial year and the club's Hall of Fame. 

5 minutes ago, 10menwent2mow said:

I looked at this the other night and Hayes and Lewis are the only two of our current squad in the top 50 all time appearance makers. Of the last 10 years I'd probably say only Considine. But to have been with the club for that long and win only one medal kinda makes it feel a bit empty. 

Considine deserves the accolade for longevity as well as being a local lad and a thoroughly decent guy to go with being a really dependable player. 

Russell Anderson is probably next closest of recent times as a genuinely quality player at this level.