Nicola Sturgeon Arrested, Peter Murrell Charged

Lex

6 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Yeah, proving fraud is easy because fraudsters just move money from one account called "Big Legitimate Business Account' to another account marked "Cocaine, Hookers and Big Fancy Motorhomes".  What's taking them so long to wrap this up?

2 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Ian Blackford and Steven Flynn at it now.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-65389829

I didn't realise that the SNP MP group could lose out on millions of government short funds if they don't get their books audited.

I wouldn't trust Bunter as far as I could throw him. I'd believe Flynn ahead of him tbh.

4 hours ago, Thane of Cawdor said:

I see @The_Kincardine has escaped the "surly bonds" of Pie & Bovril to take a place on a bigger stage.  Or, at least, his Ayrshire doppelganger is reciting his arguments/assertions.

.https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/apr/24/there-is-no-convincing-case-for-scottish-independence

There is no legal case. The UK is a unitary state formed with the agreement of all parties in the Act of Union and its legal status has never been challenged.  

Definitely an auld boy. That Cybernats patter used by older types who don’t like technology.

53 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

How could the party treasurer not know the party had bought a motorhome?

That's Beattie's story.

It must be lonely being Mr Murrell.

If Murrell's wife and leader of the party can get away with that line then I don't blame Beattie for trying it as well. 

57 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

How could the party treasurer not know the party had bought a motorhome?

That's Beattie's story.

It must be lonely being Mr Murrell.

It appears that Beattie did know after all. Little bit of bantz earlier with the media 

10 minutes ago, AyrExile said:

It appears that Beattie did know after all. Little bit of bantz earlier with the media 

The clarification isn't exactly exhonerating.

Not knowing about it until the 2021 accounts is a worry as it means he didn't know about it when the cash went out! The year end accounts are prepared long after the money has actually been spent.

It just demonstrates how lax the financial control of the SNP had gotten. Beattie was treasurer in name only. It seems Murrell held all the levers of power as well as the bank accounts and credit cards.

12 minutes ago, virginton said:

If Murrell's wife and leader of the party can get away with that line then I don't blame Beattie for trying it as well. 

It may be semantics and playing with the dates..........but its possibly true that Beattie might not have been treasurer at the time it was purchased (believed to be Jan 21?).

Beattie lost the vote to Douglas Chapman sometime in 2020, and was not reappointed until May 2021.

1 minute ago, Trogdor said:

Not knowing about it until the 2021 accounts is a worry as it means he didn't know about it when the cash went out! The year end accounts are prepared long after the money has actually been spent.

See mine above - he probably wasnt in the role when it was actually bought, and only found out about it later.

1 minute ago, Leith Green said:

It may be semantics and playing with the dates..........but its possibly true that Beattie might not have been treasurer at the time it was purchased (believed to be Jan 21?).

Beattie lost the vote to Douglas Chapman sometime in 2020, and was not reappointed until May 2021.

Given Douglas Chapman wasn't able to access the necessary financial information. I can't imagine Chapman approved buying the motorhome. Hergo we're back to Mr Murrell authorising that himself... and we're back here...

5 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

It just demonstrates how lax the financial control of the SNP had gotten. Beattie was treasurer in name only. It seems Murrell held all the levers of power as well as the bank accounts and credit cards.

10 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

It's also quite possible that things were hidden from Chapman as well given he says he was not getting access to financial records.

Whatever the result of the police investigation it is clear that there has not been anything like an acceptable level of transparency and governance.

Edited by DeeTillEhDeh

7 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

20230413_172238.jpg

4 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Given Douglas Chapman wasn't able to access the necessary financial information. I can't imagine Chapman approved buying the motorhome. Hergo we're back to Mr Murrell authorising that himself... and we're back here...

2 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

It's also quite possible that things were hidden from Chapman as well given he says was not getting access to financial records.

I dont disagree with either of those, I was simply commenting on the Beattie situation (because some people are suggesting "he must have known about the motorhome being bought", when its entirely feasible he didnt).

That Chapman canned the job for the reasons mentioned says a lot.

So, we are to believe that at no time the big £110,00 hole in the shape of a motor home in the party finances were not discussed with the trasurer, despite an ongoing investigation by the police for the last two years?

Had it all been above board, why did they not just tell him about it?

Edited by Musketeer Gripweed