Ross County vs Aberdeen

4 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

Looked very tight. I thought he was maybe just off but that's a few times at County the lines have looked incredibly dodgy and difficult to tell.

Looked exactly the same as the two iffy goals at the Motherwell v Rangers match a few of weeks back, and both of them were given.

23 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

You need to infer it from the words in Law 12 and the guidance issued by UEFA/IFAB which quite frankly is a bit hard because neither of them actually put the guidance out for public consumption. So if you miss it when it comes out and there is a little bit of media on new interpretations it can pass you by.

But there was new guidance issued particularly with studs going into players above the boot line. And about the chance of winning the ball.

You can see this language being used in discussion of recent VAR decisions in england here

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/english-fa-cup/story/4864285/the-var-review-fabinho-ibrahima-konate-somehow-escape-red-cards-at-brighton

It is like when VAR changed the intrepretation of offside, they didn't update the laws of the game they just clarified what they thought particular words should mean and how referees should make future judgments.

So, in summary, what you said was stated in the rules (laws actually), is not. Thanks. 

5 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Looked exactly the same as the two iffy goals at the Motherwell v Rangers match a few of weeks back, and both of them were given.

The lines looked like they might've had slightly more of a gap, but was genuinely difficult to tell. Sky showed it for about 3 seconds. 

The defence was magnificent today. MacDonald, Pollock, Scales, Duk and Clarkson were superb. There's no way that's a red card. Hopefully Aberdeen appeal.

Nice to finally get a win against Ross County.

Ross County deserved more from their first half display. Murray looks a decent player as does Dhanda. Well done to the 16 year old centre back. He didn't look out of place.

11 minutes ago, muirkirk nil said:

Got sympathy for Shinnie there. The slowed down replays do make it seem worse than it probably was. That being said, I don’t think it’ll get overturned as it probably does border serious foul play given how high he catches him. 

31 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

there is no mitigation for winning the ball. Winning the ball was mentioned in the laws at one point but got removed sometime in the last decade or so.

The part about winning the ball is that I remembered when the rules (interpretation of the laws of the game) were being tightened on what constitutes endangering an opponent tackles where studs make contact above the boot and forceful tackles where the opponent has no hope of winning the ball were brought in at the same time. I want to say this was done just before Qatar but it might have been a bit earlier.

It's a fucking nonsense rule if that's the case. And there are no mitigating circumstances, what's the point in having the rule. Again, to go back to rugby, it would be like saying that every contact with the head is a red. Even if a player is falling off his feet and hits his head hard against a tackling players knee. 

I don't think it's a red. At worst, it's a yellow. Shinnie is going for the ball the whole time. Will we ask players to somehow chip off their legs to prevent any follow through next?

8 minutes ago, 10menwent2mow said:

It's a fucking nonsense rule if that's the case. And there are no mitigating circumstances, what's the point in having the rule. Again, to go back to rugby, it would be like saying that every contact with the head is a red. Even if a player is falling off his feet and hits his head hard against a tackling players knee. 

Agree with that. Barbour is unquestionably trying to land a dull one on Shinnie (and does) as he knows he is never winning the ball - it’s not even close. If VAR wasn’t just myopically focused on who is flailing aboot like a fairy and must be the victim, then they both get reds for making contact with the studs.

I’m maybe a juniors dinosaur, but I just can’t see anything beyond “play on” here. 

Edited by bpdon

7 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

There's no way that's a red card. Hopefully Aberdeen appeal.

If Aberdeen appeal, thats just a waste of time - the panel is not overturning that one.

The problem for shinnie is that after he won the ball (well), his boot turned toward the RC players shin and caught him in what the ref deemed dangerous.

Did he mean it?

Only he knows, but it didnt look like a natural follow through, and its not like he doesnt have form.

There will be tackles like that Shinnie one up and down the country today and in real time without the benefit of slow motion replays, none will be given as red cards. 

I'm sick of this obsession of looking for freeze frames of players being caught on the shin. A total misuse of VAR and a misunderstanding of the rules, you can catch someone on the shin without recklessly endangering their safety. 

Baldwin completed a third of his passes overall last night :lol:

"Passes" is a loose term though, when he and Watson launched it so often. Aberdeen's defence dealt with the directness very well, so mixing it up with some switching of the play might have created some actual chances. Despite Aberdeen's defence being so much improved in recent times, I felt County had players capable of causing them problems but were let down by the distribution from the keeper and defenders. County's best move in the match came in the first half when Loturi spun a player at a throw-in and spread the ball across the park to Harmon to move up the pitch. We never saw enough of that from Loturi, but the ball was mostly by-passing him.

Pollok and Scales didn't give White a sniff. I was impressed by Stones in his brief time on the park. I think County have missed a trick in not using him more often. Hopefully White gets a bit more joy from Hearts' defence next week.

Randall played better as a centre-mid than I ever thought he might. He suited the helter-skelter match pattern in the second half. Having said that, Duncan looked great on the counter attack in the same area of the pitch.

Haven't been this angry after a win since Collum's display against Accies back in the 2014/2015 season. 

We've had some shockers against us this season. The authorities clearly don't want a successful Aberdeen side. Those decisions last night could do us out of millions of pounds. Absolutely no way Shinnie's card gets overturned particularly when we play the flag humpers next week. 

Bin VAR and employ referees who aren't all from the central belt.