Falkirk v Edinburgh Flux

1 minute ago, Amarillo Bairn said:

Not dissimilar to a Martin Rennie last year tbh 

Only difference being Rennie slavered pish for yonks when we all Knew the game was a bogey. It's utterly ludicrous at the business end of the season and in typical Falkirk stylee when we actually do have something to play for that it seems the wheels have fallen off again. If McGlynn does get emptied we can always console ourselves in the fact he chose to give Nesbitt a new two year contract so he can masquerade as a footballer when it suits him. Well done. 

I am pretty stunned at what he came out with. They played with three strikers, two up top, and one behind, so on the counter attack, they were always dangerous, and so it proved.

Mr One up front says three up front is dangerous.

Saying that was “unrecognisable” as a John McGlynn side. Saying that team was good enough to win the game…………no it wasn’t, and it was a monumental blunder to mess with the starting line up. Win this game, and rest whoever he likes against Alloa. Now he needs to win the last two games to finish second. Pressure because he messed up tonight.

2 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

Only difference being Rennie slavered pish for yonks when we all Knew the game was a bogey. It's utterly ludicrous at the business end of the season and in typical Falkirk stylee when we actually do have something to play for that it seems the wheels have fallen off again. If McGlynn does get emptied we can always console ourselves in the fact he chose to give Nesbitt a new two year contract so he can masquerade as a footballer when it suits him. Well done. 

Nah, the next manager will get heaped with praise for his expansive attacking style, and getting more out of Nesbitt than McGlynn did.

2 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

I am pretty stunned at what he came out with. They played with three strikers, two up top, and one behind, so on the counter attack, they were always dangerous, and so it proved.

Mr One up front says three up front is dangerous.

Saying that was “unrecognisable” as a John McGlynn side. Saying that team was good enough to win the game…………no it wasn’t, and it was a monumental blunder to mess with the starting line up. Win this game, and rest whoever he likes against Alloa. Now he needs to win the last two games to finish second. Pressure because he messed up tonight.

Let's not forget the Edinburgh makeshift defence that was minus Fontaine, Mercer one of the worst full backs we have had and James Craigen. 

6 hours ago, Grant228 said:

After a few years with them he comes back as a manager who loves a 4231, plays with wingers and he's all about that possession. And he's pretty good at it, he starts the season off well, however teams then work him out and he's got absolutely no plan B, no alternative. I get that learning under Brendan Rodgers would've been enlightening but it seems he only has one way to play now. 

There is much truth in this, as we suggested when JMcG moved over to TFS. Expect the first half or so of the season to possibly go quite well, but then the third go through the teams he’ll often try a few surprises out…ones that usually fail badly. Then the fourth time through it often feels he’s playing from draws.

Almost never uses subs before 60-65 minutes, and often has no real CF for his favored 4-2-3-1. The passing can be pretty, but the finishing is lacking, which is ironically what IM’s Raith has had issues with too. Hopefully your BoD kept a tight rein on the contracts he offered and killed any escalator clauses, because they’re really cramping us.

You best bet for something different is if JMcG comes down with something and PS gets to coach a few matches.

For good news, as long as you can somehow stagger into the playoffs, the Accies will be there for the taking if you can turn it back on.

I don't think McGlynn is too far off of having the perfect balance in that team.

Defence who can't defend

Midfield posted missing most games

Strikers who can barely muster a shot at goal

He's left no rock unturned turning the team into a complete shambles

Edited by ChrispPancake

7 hours ago, Shodwall cat said:

Dunfermline have played the same way all season...

Yeah, add me to the surprised list at this comment too. Other than the goalkeeper and Benedictus who are ever-presents, we've changed things up quite a bit this season. 

We've played 4-2-3-1, 4-4-1-1, 4-3-3, 3-5-2, 3-4-3, and I'm sure a weird hybrid back 4 that changes to a back 3 when in possession type of system similar to how Man City play when the right back becomes a third centre back and the left back pushes up into a wing back position. 

We've had 5 different centre backs play alongside Benedictus (Comrie, Breen, Fisher, Otoo and Hamilton in an emergency situation), we've had each of our four strikers play as a lone striker as well as playing with a "false nine", we’ve played each pair in combination at least once, we’ve had five different players on the wing (KRH, Mochrie, Mahon, O'Hara and McCann), etc. 

FWIW, I don't think there's inherently wrong with picking a system and keeping with it, especially if it gets results as it did for you guys in that run you had. The problem is when you either don't have the players to fit the system, especially when players lose form or miss out due to injury or suspension, or when a team plays their own way which negates your own set up (like when Hungary beat England in the 50s or when Bayern battered Barcelona in the 2010s). A few folk said it before but when MyGlynnball works it can look really good, the challenge is when it's not working. You can say what you like about McPake but it looks like he's learned from his mistakes. Can McGlynn do the same?

Probably the most concerning result and performance of the season. Edinburgh played well and we wouldn’t have deserved to take anything, so fair play to them.

Honestly not sure if we have what it takes to recover from this. All the momentum is against us now. We’ve had a good season overall but unfortunately we’ve basically checked out of the league since east end park.

Is it because we’re in training mode until the playoffs? That’s probably what I’m going to tell myself and hope that it’s true. I’ve quite liked McGlynn overall and I think the calls for him to get chucked on social media are a bit OTT, but there’s no doubt he’s been shown up tactically. We need to change our approach and quickly. 

9 hours ago, Grant228 said:

I do wonder how much his time at Celtic changed him. 

When he was at Raith originally he was renowned for hard working sides, he didn't really like wingers and he'd had have two grafters upfront chasing the ball into the channels (Had his best success with Tade and Baird?). 

He has a couple of less than stellar managerial appointments before becoming a scout with Celtic. 

After a few years with them he comes back as a manager who loves a 4231, plays with wingers and he's all about that possession. And he's pretty good at it, he starts the season off well, however teams then work him out and he's got absolutely no plan B, no alternative. I get that learning under Brendan Rodgers would've been enlightening but it seems he only has one way to play now. 

From a players perspective it must be mentally taxing after a while, you start to realise there's only one game plan and you're going to play that way every week through a whole season. 

I'll make no secret that I don't like John McGlynn as a person, however I think he might be quite overrated as a manager. If you kept the squads and swapped the managers I'm certain McPake would've gotten Falkirk promoted. 

And while typing this Edinburgh win, thank f**k were not going through the rigmarole of the playoffs. 

A lot of this is fair.  The side that "won" this league in the 19/20 season had quite a nice balance, ironically with John Baird.  We had other "grafters" like Grant Anderson, solid experience with Steven Anderson, and absolute quality with Regan Hendry - looked like he'd transformed as a manager tbh. 

First season in the championship was also a success tbh, finishing 3rd - although he bottled it a bit as really should have finished 2nd.  This was the start of teams beginning to suss him out.

Last season is well documented,  but he was given a fucking fortune to get the club promoted and essential set it on fire, still harming the club now.  The way teams started to figure his tactics out was alarming.  

I feel he seems to be more successful when his sides are the "underdog" - that gives the opportunity to combine the hard work ethic of old with the nice football - He vastly over thinks and over plans when there is expectation or pressure.

I thought he'd get Falkirk up this season, or absolute worst case next.  However I doubt he was hired to be 13 points behind Dunfermline, whilst so close to Airdrie, at this stage.  

Edited by CALDERON

Just watched his post match interview, he is feeling the pressure big time. If I were a Falkirk fan I'd be worried. What we know well about McGlynn is that he has no plan B so if his Plan A has been worked out then you're fucked. 

Also, his body language after the last question about the fans 😂. Arms folded, then a few flaps, I think he even sticks both fingers in his ears at one point. I'm no body language expert but I think he fucking hates Falkirk fans and has obviously copped some abuse after that game. It was paining him to have to praise you guys. 😂

22 minutes ago, Double Jack D said:

Just watched his post match interview, he is feeling the pressure big time. If I were a Falkirk fan I'd be worried. What we know well about McGlynn is that he has no plan B so if his Plan A has been worked out then you're fucked. 

Also, his body language after the last question about the fans 😂. Arms folded, then a few flaps, I think he even sticks both fingers in his ears at one point. I'm no body language expert but I think he fucking hates Falkirk fans and has obviously copped some abuse after that game. It was paining him to have to praise you guys. 😂

First part is spot on.

Second part is complete bullshit tbh. He's been extremely complimentary towards the fans all season, win lose or draw. Wasn't there last night, but I can imagine the response at the end was vitriolic, which would have stung, but he was in no way dismissive of the anger.

4 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

First part is spot on.

Second part is complete bullshit tbh. He's been extremely complimentary towards the fans all season, win lose or draw. Wasn't there last night, but I can imagine the response at the end was vitriolic, which would have stung, but he was in no way dismissive of the anger.

Easy to be complimentary when the pressure is off.

One thing for sure is that he won't get the same patience from you guys that he got from us (Even at the end of last season there was still a sizeable amount of Rovers fans who would not criticise him in any way shape or form) and failure to get promoted with the budget he's spent will see a huge downturn in the relationship between him and the Falkirk fans.

He was pulled up after a Raith TV interview a couple of seasons ago when he got all sarcastic with the volunteer reporter as if they worked for Sky. Since then he has always concluded interviews by giving the support praise which is easy when you're winning/ doing well.

Last night, the next couple of league games and the inevitable pumping in the play-offs are going to see huge amounts of abuse coming McGlynn's way. Believe me, when the arms start flapping about, he's no saying what he really really wants to. 

I generally don't like criticising individual players too much after a defeat, but on watching back the highlights at 6:34 - 6:39 it looks like Brad McKay fails to cut out a simple pass from the Edinburgh player that leads to their goal. Perhaps I'm being harsh and the ball was further away from him than it looks - it looks like it should have just been a simple interception.

15 hours ago, Donathan said:

FC Edinburgh are a minter. Parking the bus in a game that’s a dead rubber from their perspective. Embarrassing. 

Last time I looked, the objective of a game of association football was either to (a) win or (b) not lose. Ours was (c) do something different than the previous 2 games that saw us getting turned over by Peterhead and Clyde. I don't think our lads were too embarrassed to park the bus. 

1 hour ago, Double Jack D said:

Easy to be complimentary when the pressure is off.

One thing for sure is that he won't get the same patience from you guys that he got from us (Even at the end of last season there was still a sizeable amount of Rovers fans who would not criticise him in any way shape or form) and failure to get promoted with the budget he's spent will see a huge downturn in the relationship between him and the Falkirk fans.

He was pulled up after a Raith TV interview a couple of seasons ago when he got all sarcastic with the volunteer reporter as if they worked for Sky. Since then he has always concluded interviews by giving the support praise which is easy when you're winning/ doing well.

Last night, the next couple of league games and the inevitable pumping in the play-offs are going to see huge amounts of abuse coming McGlynn's way. Believe me, when the arms start flapping about, he's no saying what he really really wants to. 

Was that the "can you count?" interview down at Starks? McGlynn comes across as one of these managers who would ditch these post match interviews if he could. 

As touched on,  pre-January last year he was pretty much guaranteed statue territory given he'd pulled us out the mire twice.  I thought he'd have offered a lot more resistance but the Pars have been ruthlessly efficient this season. Much like our second season in league 1 last time around it feels very much like Falkirk are the last resort of full time players. When you're giving long term contracts to the likes of McGuffie you're pretty much up against it. 

The second goal Falkirk conceded last night was laughably bad. It wouldn't surprise me if McGlynn is feeling the pressure. He'll have lost a lot of confidence with the "nobody died" remark and its showing.