Staying In v Going Out

Staying in v Going Out  

94 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

A new poll from YouGov has shown that the British public, across all age groups, much prefer to stay in than go out.

I’m sure there are many factors behind this - improvements in home entertainment, more people living in out of town suburbs, cost of living and lifestyle changes.

Oersonally I don’t go out that much but I’m surprised at the results for under 25s. Surely that’s prime ‘going out’ age.

Do P&Bers prefer to go out or stay in?

I prefer staying in tbh. Much better to have friends over than go out to pay higher prices for an inferior night.

No closing time, no bams.

Factor in the non existent public transport network to where I live and the difficulty in getting a taxi its rarely worth the hassle.

I do like going out for specific events (football, racing etc) so I do still go out, but, unlike when I was younger, I can't remember the last time when I had some free time and no plans that I fancied just going to the pub for a few drinks.

Covid broke that habit and routine, I think, and now that I've bought some beer dispensers and broadened my tastes in beer styles etc, i'm really not that enthused by the prospect of a few pints of the overpriced, brewed under licence, pale imitations of the real thing that us UK pub punters are served on draught.

Edited by Todd_is_God

Really depends what's happening.

I usually stay in but if it's worth going out for then it's usually a good time. Some people go out to the same dead places every weekend just for the sake of "doing something". I'll happily go out if there's a bit of imagination involved but if it's just for the sake of showing face then I'll happily have a carry out and YouTube at the gaff. 

In more than out (steady!). Especially in the summer months,  spent a fair bit of time doing the garden up last year (no, not fucking pallet furniture) so apart from any social outings, it'll be beers in the garden. Doing a lot of walking just now so if we don't take the car, I.E getting a bus or local walks, we'll have a pint somewhere at the end of the walk.

I still enjoy going out but my habits have changed. Before it would be all day drinking normally followed by The Palace then stoat home at 3am whereas now if I'm not at the football it's more out for a few hours in the afternoon with the girlfriend then up the road about 7pm for a few cans and a takeaway 

5 hours ago, RuMoore said:

Really depends what's happening.

I usually stay in but if it's worth going out for then it's usually a good time. Some people go out to the same dead places every weekend just for the sake of "doing something". I'll happily go out if there's a bit of imagination involved but if it's just for the sake of showing face then I'll happily have a carry out and YouTube at the gaff. 

Have 2 mates who are like that. Same places every week. 

Edited by Lyle Lanley

Love the pub. Older I get the less I'm enjoying busy boozers though. The less busy the boozer is I'll decide about 8/8 "want to just get a kedge and sit in the hoose?".

Sunday's are the best pub days now but, sadly, work has to be attended on a Monday.

Interesting how many people have automatically linked this to boozing. Not judging, it was my first thought too, but i wonder how many other nations would make that connection automatically and not think it was between say, eating in/ eating out or telly vs cinema. 

Personally would prefer going out but budget dictates otherwise. I would absolutely not be going to noisy pubs or shit clubs anymore though because they are hell on earth and only tolerable in pursuit of hole. Nice restaurant followed by a quiet pub or civilised lounge bar is good. 

I wish I had the choice! Where I am now it's a ballache to go out to the pub so I just don't do it.  Back when I was In Hong Kong I loved the pub - a great atmosphere to watch the football and catch up with mates who I only saw in the pub.  When I lived back in Dundee we were out 90% of the time at the weekend and when we first moved to Manchester the same but over time we got bored with it and the hassle so we stopped going out so much. 

Love a day on the beers at the fitba (home games). Couple of pints pre-match then a group of 7 or 8 of us back to the pub afterwards for a session and a laugh. Used to love away days and still do on occasion, but getting a bit old for that malarkey so that only happens a couple of times a season now.

For nights out with the Mrs and friends, much prefer to have a nice meal then on to a decent pub with some music or entertainment, but at a level where you can still converse, and also keep it fairly local. Cannot be arsed with the hassle of trying to get taxis etc to get home later at night. Other than that, I've not done a spur of the moment jaunt to my local post covid and really don't miss it as it had went fairly down hlll. Much prefer some peace and a fee drinks in my wee home bar.

What a load of pish that survey is.

Sometimes going out is great, sometimes staying in is great.

I am in tonight, out with some mates tomorrow - not sure if that puts me down as a "dont know"...............

I much prefer staying in to going out these days. Prices have went up everywhere and taxis are a fortune and sometimes you can’t get one so stuck out in the cold for ages waiting. Also, too many bams ching’d up and looking for trouble.  

Whereas sitting in the house I can have a few mates over, watch the football etc and actually have a conversation with them without having to shout over some terrible music.